Out-Muscled!

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Pretty In Pink, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm trying to gain mega-weight. About 4 stone preferably.

2. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

MEAT.

Jk :)

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Have you told Mikey this?

Eat Meat. And pineapples to help digestion.

simply put you wanna gain muscle not to much fat?

clean bulk.
    meal = mixed (non starchy) vegetables, 1 source of carbs, meat/protein source (portobello mushrooms do good too).

And whey protein is good.
    casein before bed in optional.

4. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

From my experience and some bodybuilders I know, I don't think on a bulk it makes much difference. Just get your macro ratios correct and eat about a 500lb surplus over your maintenance calories and be sure you lift well. Here is a calculator, but keep in mind if you are young enough to still be growing these calories will be insufficient (especially when you are doing MA too). Heck if you are still growing then eat to your heart's content and lift hard. Just make sure you are getting enough protein.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

5. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Well that much daily cardio will certainly keep you lean, and MIGHT inhibit/slowdown muscle size gains because of all the calories expended while cycling - especially if you have an already fast metabolism. But its certainly not BAD for you in any regard.

6. Bigmikey

How much is that in pounds man cause we might have to get WAY more in-depth about this if its a lot.

7. Pretty In Pink

Well it's cycling, then two to three hours of martial arts. I do sweat in class!

Can everyone thank Big Mikey for me? I can only do it once :p

8. Pretty In Pink

I kick out at about 143 lb just now, and I'm 6 ft 3".

I want to be around 190 :$

9. Bigmikey

No worries man. I'll get thanks enough when you reach your goals and I get to know that I helped.

With that much activity we're going to have to look at your diet more closely if want to gain the kind of weight youre talking about AND your rest habits.

Any attempt to change one's physique is a three-pronged one comprised in VERY equal parts of 1) exercise/lifting, 2) diet/eating and, 3) REST!

If any of those fall behind then it all falls behind. Theres an old idiom "You gotta EAT BIG, LIFT BIG and SLEEP BIG if you wanna BE BIG!"

First things first, lets see how you fair with the workouts I've given you, see what kind of soreness we're dealing with and if it hampers your other pursuits any. From there we'll make any tweaks we need to make it more efficient and to suit your lifestyle needs better and then move on to the diet.

Give me a soreness update as things progress through the week. Cool?

10. Bigmikey

Ok, thats 50 pounds on a somewhat lanky frame. Not impossible but it'll take some strategy to be sure. We can do it if you're 100% on board.

11. Pretty In Pink

Sure man, the work out was hard, and I'm not gonna lie, I was lazy with the rest periods in between, they ranged between 1:30 to like 3 minutes.

Maybe I should video this? Could be useful.

12. Bigmikey

Taking a longer rest period is ok when first getting used to a new workout. It has to be treated as diagnostic. I usually tell people to give themselves two full run throughs before they start to expect to perform like they normally would. It takes that much time to get the weights right, work through the proper pace, get the form right, etc. So give yourself the time it takes to get acquainted with it. Remember, even with the extended rest you're still challenging yourself thoroughly because you're forcing them to do things they're unaccostomed to.

13. Pretty In Pink

It was definitely well out of my comfort zone. I will still try and stick with the times of rest, how long should that be btw?

14. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

IM HOPING THATS NOT SURPLUS TO DAILY INTAKE!

15. Pretty In Pink

Surely he means calories?

Also, today my arms are a bit fatigues today, I'm sure it will show at class tonight.

16. How old are you?
    I am 6'3" & I was between 140 & 160 all my teens - I started to put muscle & weight on in my early '20es, but I am always been a "hard gainer".
    I am now at 233-235 and a little bit too fat due to the inactivity imposed by surgery.
    You'll get there, one ounce at a time.

OSu!

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

For gaining muscle, milk is your friend if you can handle it. And lots of it.

As far as weight, if you're dedicated you'd be surprised how much weight you can gain. The famous Peary Rader was about 6' and 128 pounds when he first began weight training. Within a year, due to a solid diet and plenty of high-rep squats, he weighed 210 pounds and eventually could clean and jerk 220 pounds with just one hand. That's some good inspiration right there.

18. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

+1 for this, milk is a nice calorie dense drink, with a scoop or two of protein powder in it you've got a great way to add calories. Last bulk I did I was drinking 4 pints a day of whole milk or jersey milk with about 50g of protein powder on top of 3 clean meals a day. Reached my heaviest weight to date (230lbs) with relatively little fat gain.

19. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I drank plain whole milk but loads of it, going through nearly a gallon a day. I packed on 20 pounds in about two months and was growing so fast my boxer shorts were ripping off of me.

20. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Strong typo find. Yes, calories!