Otake Risuke on "The Way of The Warrior"

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by nickh, Apr 18, 2007.

1. nickh

nickh Valued Member

At long last, someone has got hold of the 1980s BBC show "Way of The Warrior" and uploaded some to youtube.

Here is the episode featuring Otake-sensei of the Katori Shinto-ryu:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9HR7TTOReE"]Way of the Warrior - Way of the Samurai [1/4] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEeW-CFyJVc"]Way of the Warrior - Way of the Samurai [2/4] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX9Zn6k1poE"]Way of the Warrior - Way of the Samurai [3/4] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBF-9uLQwOs"]YouTube[/ame]

Enjoy!

2. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Nice find there Nick.

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

:) I taped this when it first came out. Everytime I think I am getting somewhere with the sword. I watch it again. Thankfully it inspires me rather than depresses.Every "swordsman" should watch this. In fact every budoka.

Regards koyo

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  4. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Very interesting :)

Good stuff nickh, prizes for you (that was a lie).

5. nickh

nickh Valued Member

WTF??? You guys aren't supposed to be impressed by any of this.

You're all supposed to point out that Otake's just doing dead kata and that he's not sparring with full resistance or aliveness.

(kiddding :D )

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  6. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

Nick.. Stop taking the daft pills mate. :p

7. Kogusoku

*Puts head in hands*

Just when we thought he was doing so well. :rolleyes:

8. nickh

nickh Valued Member

I'd pay good money to watch someone tell Otake-sensei that he's been wasting his time doing "dead forms"!

9. Kogusoku

Try Otake sensei's sons.

10. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

The fight took too long, tied up in too much classical Kata.

11. Kogusoku

Maybe that's because it's not a fight, but a training sequence containing several individual techniques strung together for cohesiveness, muscle memory, reaction time, reflexes and physical fitness.

A real fight with shinken in suhada takes very little time as you very well know.

12. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

The Way of the Warrior series inspired me into martial arts especially the Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu episode.

Class stuff.

13. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

Steve.. suhada as in everyday clothes ?

14. Kogusoku

Yes, suhada (素肌 ) as in everyday clothes. Period clothing would be kimono/montsuki and hakama.

15. feijao_cbla

feijao_cbla Valued Member

dang it

:bang: Man this sucks. I can't look at these links on my pc. Is there anywhere else I can find this?

:confused:

16. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

not serious!

I thought by using bruce Lee type quotes then big smiley was not needed, my bad.

:D

17. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I was shown that every "block" in katori shinto ryu is an attack. The kata does not reveal the true techniques to anyone other than a practisioner of the art. In the three volumes I have of the katori shinto ryu there are pages with what looks like "scratchings in ink" I was told that these reveal footwork and timing, again only to practisioners of the art.

regards koyo

18. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

I watched this doco when these links were recently posted on E-Budo. Brilliant, just brilliant. I am surprised at how much they were actually allowed to film on this occassion, there will probably never be such an insiders look again. Did I mention it's brilliant? Just brilliant.

19. Lily

Lily Valued Member

That's just sublime, thanks nickh for posting them.

20. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

That's so close to my own system that it's scary. Every defence is an attack, and every attack a defence. No surprise there, I guess. Even the secrecy. Liechtenauer disguised his teachings in cryptic verses that don't make sense unless you've been trained in the Art. If it weren't for his students making manuals to preserve his teachings, they would have been lost for all time.

Cool stuff. :)

Best regards,

-Mark