Osu ?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by righty, Jun 9, 2013.

1. righty

righty Valued Member

.Does anyone have a literal translation of the term 'osu'? Sometimes people spell it 'oss' or 'ous'.

This question is not restricted to JuJutsu but Japanese arts in general. Hell, I've heard it often enough from non-Japanese arts. But if you do answer this I'd be interested to know what art it comes from to see if there is a difference in usage.

I have noticed some people using it more than others and the context behind it sometimes seems to lead towards a few slightly different meanings. But I haven't been able to find any sort of literal translation or use.

The closest I have found is that it is a shortening of the term 'onegaishimasu' as a result of a bit of laziness and over-familiarity. But it's use doesn't seem to always follow that description.

Does anyone know?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's mainly used as a grunt of acknowledgment.

I've heard it is sometimes used in Japan as like the least formal way of saying good morning.

So you might say 'Ohayou Gozaimasu!' and the reply might be a heavily contracted 'Osu'.

I expect that it is used as a heavily contracted form of Onegaishimasu as well.

One thing most people agree on is that it is a thing that westerners do far more than Japanese.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

In the Dojo by Dave Lowry covers this in along with other heigo (martial language).

In general it is seen as being a contraction of ohayo gozaimasu or o-negai shimasu.

Edit: Holyheadjch beat me to it. :D

4. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

5. holyheadjch

If that's what the Kyokunshin community wish to believe, fine.

It's a contraction of something, which if used pretty much anywhere but a Western dojo would be considered quite rude.

6. Dean Winchester

It's like "kree" in Goa'uld.

Loosely translated it means "attention", "listen up", "concentrate" and maybe even "yoo-hoo".

:D

7. Dean Winchester

It's also the name of a regional breed of horse commonly found in Dudley.

8. holyheadjch

9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Careful, with that sort of language you'll have Frodo busting your door down in no time at all!

10. gapjumper

It's not just a kyokushin thing.

It is listed in dictionaries too. The dictionary matches that version. As an informal thing between good friends. Like "yo" or "dude" as your link states.

I have never come across it in Japanese dojos though. But I don't go to kyokushin or similar dojos.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  11. holyheadjch

I've only ever heard that interpretation from kyokushin people.

But since not even the Japanese have a definitive answer for where it comes from, I'm not going to argue the point.

12. gapjumper

Well I thought that was what the op was asking. :confused:

The Japanese dictionary seems quite definite that is comes from oshi and shinobu as they are the kanji used to write it.

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

The best discussion I've heard of the term is from 24fightingchickens, as posted by holyheadjch, above.

It's basically a macho grunt of assent. Kinda like a "SIR YES SIR" type thing in the US military movies.

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

15. holyheadjch

Languages (especially Japanese) are more complicated than that. Osu is a verbal utterance. Just matching up kanji doesn't confirm etymology.

16. holyheadjch

My dictionary has 'osu' as a reading of kanji for :
    Hero
    To conclude
    To oppress
    Dominate
    Press
    To apply a seal

Amongst many others.

17. gapjumper

I was referring to the utterance. And dont worry, I am quite aware of the subtleties of the language.

押忍
    greeting used between close male friends, Hi!, yes sir!, yo!

But never mind.

Out of interest which word for hero is osu? I can see it as the reading for one of the kanji that make hero (the "male" kanji)...but not the whole thing. The whole being eiyuu or something. One way of reading hero is English Man. Hehehe :D

But anyway, back to the op. Has that question been answered?

18. holyheadjch

[​IMG]

19. gapjumper

Gotcha

I was using 英雄

20. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

This was very much the way it was used when I was training in karate.

Mitch