Oscar De La Hoya

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by BGile, Feb 28, 2007.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I was hoping that Oscar would win the fight... but....

If you look at the number of shots thrown and the number landed... you'll find that Mayweather landed more shots than did Oscar. He was more acccurate and landed mroe shots.

There were very few if any of Oscar's shots that had any effect on Mayweather. In the post fight interview Oscar said he knew he was hurting Mayweather with his shots... but I sure didn't see it. And if he did hurt Mayweather... he didn't hurt him enough to stop him.

I think in many ways the fight overall was lacklustre. Oscar initially pushed the fight but appeared to run out of steam not too long after. Mayweather spent a lot of time on the defensive... generally only counterpunching. That's not illegal in boxing... but it doesn't make for great championship fights either.

I did somewhat agree with a comment Oscar made after the fight... something to the effect of that he is the champion so the onus is on Mayweather to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can beat Oscar.

I dunno if Mayweather managed anything so decisive.
    I think that Mayweather had the power to hurt Oscar.
    I think that Mayweather is far faster than Oscar.
    I think that Mayweather is far more accurate the Oscar.

But... for all of that... he didn't really lay down the law. At least not as much as he needed to if he wanted to prove that he could beat the reigning champion De La Hoya by a very large margin.

whew... anyhow..

If you look at the Compu-Box numbers and how the judges scored each round... Mayweather did win it... but that doesn't mean it was a spectacular win... or even an impressive win. Because it wasn't.

Very much that anticlimactic sort of fight that we've come to expect from boxing of this era.

2. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Again i totally agree with what slip says there.

It wasn’t a thriller, i didn’t expect it to be...you only had to use common sense to know that. The way Floyd fights defensive and Oscar was always going to have to fight in spells because of his age.

I still enjoyed it though.

A rematch would be ok...but please without all the pre fight build up shizz!!

3. slipthejab

yeah... the whole pre-fight blabbing that Mayweather did was lame. For the amount of trash that he talked before the fight he made it out like he was going to eat De La Hoya alive... but he did nothing of the sort.

4. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Oscar DeLahoya vs Floyd Mayweather Jr. 5/5/07

They are going to air the replay tomorrow night. I want to see it for myself.
    Thanks,
    Sensei Tom

5. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i dunno if its been mentioned yet but theres heavy speculation of dana throwing aloooott of money at mayweather to intice him to fight sean sherk.

6. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Dana White offered him out, Mayweather declined, Dana's probably writing an F-bomb-laden speech about how boxer's are pansies as we speak
    Kermit Cintron (IBF World Welterweight Champion and former high school and college wrestler) has stated that he'd be willing to fight Sherk, but nothing has been heard from the UFC on this. It'll probably never happen

7. Tom O'Brien

Oscar vs. Floyd

I just watched the whole fight. I thought it could have gone either way. Mayweather is a great boxer but it seemed to me that he never fought he just boxed. From the perspective of a boxing aficionado Mayweather may have out-boxed Oscar but it was disappointing because that was all it was a boxing match not a fight. But hey that's what the game is - boxing. Put them both in an alleyway and my money is on Oscar.
    Thanks,
    Tom

8. Tom O'Brien

This was the latest on Cintron fighting in the UFC:
    BOXING CHAMP CINTRON ACCEPTS UFC CHALLENGE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOXING CHAMP CINTRON ACCEPTS UFC CHALLENGE
    Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - by Ken Pishna - MMAWeekly.com (Photo courtesy of Main Events)

In a prepared statement, Main Events CEO Kathy Duva announced that IBF World Welterweight Champion and former high school and college wrestler Kermit Cintron would like to step in and accept the challenge from UFC President Dana White that Floyd Mayweather, Jr. has refused.

After some negative comments about mixed martial arts and the UFC in particular by Mayweather, White threw out a challenge for the undefeated boxing champion to fight UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk in an MMA bout. Sherk’s weight class is defined at 155 pounds, while Mayweather’s most recent bout against Oscar De La Hoya was at 154 pounds.

“I want the fight,” said Cintron. “I can wrestle. I can box. I can beat those UFC fighters at their own game. Tell Mr. White to make me an offer and I’ll take on his guy after I fight Matthysse...”

Cintron is referring to a mandatory defense of his IBF title against challenger Walter Mattysse on July 14. The fight is scheduled to take place on the Arturo Gatti vs. Alfonso Gomez fight card on HBO.

It’s not difficult to connect the timing of Cintron’s statements with the build-up for his fight against Mattysse in Atlantic City, N.J. It should be noted, however, that the IBF champ is also ranked the #7 welterweight boxer in the world by The Ring magazine, with a record of 27-1 (25 knockouts). He also competed in wrestling in college and finished 10th in the National Junior College Wrestling Championships.
    Thanks,
    Tom

9. slipthejab

Nice. :D