Oscar De La Hoya

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by BGile, Feb 28, 2007.

1. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

is boxing saved yet?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Not by a long shot unfortunately. Some say we may never see the likes of the heavyweights of the '70s ever again.

That's why I prefer the much lighter classes... super featherweights, bantam weights, straw weights... lots of action... lots of technical boxing. Lots of speed.

About the heaviest it seems worth it to go these days is... oh I dunno... Calzaghe.

3. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

:eek: more glad I didn't pay for it!!!!! And have you lot watch it on my dime :p

4. Humanpunchbag

Humanpunchbag Valued Member

I agree with almost everything you said, except for the fact that Mayweather did not have the power to knock out De La Hoya. Power is what knocks people out, and knockouts get ratings. Mayweather outboxed an extremely skilled man who weighed at least 10lbs more than him. He could not score a knockout. De La Hoya had a chance to win, if he had pressed the jab instead of trying to overpower the smaller mayweather with body shots.

Mayweather should not retire, Sugar Shane Mosley has the speed and the power. Mosley has defeated De La Hoya, it would be a much more explosive match up. Mayweather is still way to young to consider retirement. He needs to fight Mosley.

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yep. If only he hadn't stopped throwing jabs. :woo: and :cry:

6. slipthejab

1) I never said that Mayweather didn't have the power to KO DeLa Hoya. I hear what you're saying but the way you've worded it makes it sound as if it's my position that Mayweather did have the power to KO De La Hoya.

2) Mayweather didn't have to KO De La Hoya. As I'm sure you know... you can win on points in boxing. There's nowhere it says that Mayweather had to KO the Golden Boy. He still beat him fair and square. Granted it wasn't quite as dramatice as KO would have been.

Ahhh... you bring up a very good point. Very good.
    Hadn't quite thought about it this way... yes. I'd be curious to see if Mosely presses for a bout against Mayweather. He worked with the Golden Boy in some form (sparring partner?) in an unprecedented move in boxing to help De La Hoya prepare for the fight.

I've yet to see the whole documentary on the two fighters:
    'De La Hoya-Mayweather: 24/7'
    But am looking for it now.

7. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

well de la hoya made the distance :D

8. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i think i may be the only one who thinks this but.

oscars jab was NOT working. early on he was really nailing it....but at about the middle rounds or so. floyd had figured it out and was really countering. especally with his right.

and a jab for a right in the grill ....sure while you may be scorring with the jab. score to much like that and you willend up in the hospital.

i thought it was a great fight....sure no knock out or carnage but a grat display of skills.....on both fighters.

show it to a new guy in boxing and you could use it a training film.most intersting part is how floyd was not sucked into fighing anything but his fight.

2. the guy who has oscar ahead should lose his judging credntials

3. listening to preditor/floyds dad was comedy gold

9. Faminedynasty

Faminedynasty Valued Member

Mayweather is cowardly and womanish. A punk. Let that define his career more than any other atribute.

10. Developing

Developing Valued Member

Not sure why you have so much hostility towards Mayweather. But that is your right. A lot of people do not like him for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread.

However if I could make a comment strictly on the fight, I found it quite enjoyable. It was a classic matchup of two conflicting styles. One being the aggressor and bringing the fight to his opponent. The other being a defensive genuis who was able to block and dodge blow after blow. Mayweather has an ability to evade punches that reminds me of Pernell "SweetPea" Whitaker. And his ability to counterpunch and land with such accurracy is beautiful to watch.

I have already heard that there is talk of a rematch and I would enjoy watching that as well.

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  11. slipthejab

lol... n00b.
    Learn something about boxing and then come back and post.:rolleyes:

12. Faminedynasty

Faminedynasty Valued Member

I'm certainly not a noob to boxing. And I am aware of the old axiom that you can't say such belittling things about anyone who is man enough to get into the ring. But I think that needs to be ammended to say that you shouldn't say such things about anyone who gets in the ring TO FIGHT, which is not what Mayweather did. After bragging for months about how he would utterly destroy Oscar, he got in there and ran from him and never committed to actually hurting him.
    Look, it wouldn't be such a crime for someone to fight in such a, shall we say very kindly, conservative manner. Except that Floyd is in fact the best pound for pound fighter in the world. And if he wants to be respected as such, he should use his talent to give the fans a fight, not to do everything possible to avoid one. I stand by my comments about Floyd. He's a punk.

13. Developing

Developing Valued Member

Floyd's a counterpuncher and a defensive fighter first. This was evident when he fought Zab Judah and it was evident when he fought Gatti. Also Floyd Mayweather is a "genius" when it comes to boxing. He's an intelligent fighter, why would he set himself up for failure by trying to go "toe to toe" with a fighter who is bigger, stronger and hits harder.

I think all of the stuff he said before the fight was "hype" to sell the tickets. Of course he may have overdone it just a bit.

14. Developing

Developing Valued Member

I agree. Especially about the part of it being a great display of skills. I have been repeating that same phrase to people around me since this weekend. No one is listening. All I keep hearing is that the fight wasn't exciting because no one got knocked out. Or that Mayweather was "running away" too much as Faminedynasty was saying.

It brings me back to the question posed earlier about whether or not boxing is saved. It would seem no. The tactical fight is not appreciated by the casual observer anymore. The knockout is what people want and if they do not see it they are upset.

Although I think people like Faminedynasty may be letting their low opinion of how Mayweather carries himself influence their judgement. As I heard a lot of people say that they hoped Oscar would shut him up by knocking him out. But this did not happen. In the end you got give it up to him and to Oscar as well. They played a physical chess mass for 12 rounds and Mayweather's strategy was just more effective.

And yes Mayweather's father made me laugh, real hard. :D

15. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

mayweather fought to not lose rather than fighting to win, and that's not acceptable in a spectator sport.

16. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Ive never understood that!

If you are fighting NOT TO LOSE, then surely that means you are fighting to WIN?!?!?! :D

17. Einstein Mcfly

Einstein Mcfly New Member

I really don't know why people think this. The Mosley that dominated 135 years ago vs. the Mayweather that dominated 135 less years ago would be a GREAT fight. But Mosley hasn't been anywhere near that level in a while, and as we saw against Winky Wright, when he's getting beat he gets discouraged. His speed isn't anywhere close to what is used to be and he loads up and throws one punch at a time rather than the great combos he used to be known for. His beat downs of Vargas looked good, but there is no fighter out there that is less like PBF than the current version of Vargas. I see Mayweather winning this fight with his speed and skill, just like every other fight out there all the way up to Winky Wright. Mosley just doesn't have it anymore.

Oh, and for all those who say he "ran" from De la Hoya and he should have "fought", it's called "boxing", and (as much of an ******* as he is) he's the best in the world at it. If you want to see two guys forced to stand in front of one another and get nailed, the IFL is on about twice a week.

18. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I actually think Mayweather did have the power to knock Oscar out.

I think it was in the fifth round, Floyd connected when he was against the ropes with a counter and it buckled Oscars legs. If Floyd had been the more aggressive fighter he may well have koed Oscar, but that tactic would have played into Oscars hands somewhat.

They both had such good defence though so a knock out was always going to be hard for either fighter.

19. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Mayweather/De La Hoya

I did not see the fight yet. They are going to air it Saturday night. A lot of people said they thought Oscar won. One thing seemed to be unanimous was that Oscar should not have abandoned his jab, but it seems he did. I can't wait to see it. The other thing that seems unanimous is hat everyone wants a rematch. Would it be worth seeing?
    Thanks,
    Tom

20. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I thought oscar won the fight,he pressed the action,mayweather covered well but didnt do enough in my opinion,mind you i often change that opinion on watching re runs of fights,but on first viewing oscar for me :)