Oscar De La Hoya

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by BGile, Feb 28, 2007.

1. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Well, the fight is coming up and so is the theatrics.

So, who is going to win?

Gary

2. Blevunly

Blevunly Valued Member

Floyd with an easy UD.

3. Tim McFatridge

Tim McFatridge Valued Member

Let me be the first to pick De la Hoya... I think Oscar is going to go in there and fight. I think he will take the fight to Mayweather and will force Mayweather to fight Oscar's fight. Oscar always seems to fight better when his opponent runs their mouth before the fight. Oscar has something to prove as well. He wants to show the world that he can still fight a tough opponent and win. Oscar's strengths:

ring smart
    experience
    strong
    a brutal left hook
    good offense and defense
    can be a technician
    can be a brawler
    most importantly a VERY BIG HEART

Just my take on it...I also really like Mayweather but Oscar is my boy

4. puma

puma Valued Member

I go with Mayweather, but I have been thinking about this and keep changing my mind! I think if Oscar is patient and doesn't go charging in he will do well. Mayweather is such a good counter puncher. I only say Mayweather beacuse he has had so long to train for this, and everyone knows how hard he trains - although I'm sure De La Hoya will train hard too. I love both fighters, but I lean towards Mayweather because he is so clever and always finds a way to win. But I do not think he is being smart running his mouth off against someone who can punch like Oscar can. He could look very silly. This is a huge risk for Mayweather, and I give him massive respect for doing this. But it is also a risk to De La Hoya's credibility if he loses to someone so small. He doesn't need the fight. I really don't know, but if you put a gun to my head I'd say Mayweather. But I don't want Oscar to lose either! I'm a big fan of both!

5. dvybe

dvybe New Member

Floyd Mayweather is far from being considered "small" in the fight world. The kid can fight, and it's not like he's been up against nobodys (did you see him put on a clinic in the Gatti fight?) I don't like how cocky and brash he is, but he's a helluva boxer. I've never been a De La Hoya fan, I've always thought that he was overrated. Yes he's smart, and he's an outstanding technician, but he's never been anyone really special as far as I'm concerned. I want to see a good fight, but I'd like to see Mayweather tear him up in the ring.

6. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I like Oscar.

Back in the day when he was fighting and he had an exceptional win. I named my new Palomino colt after him, Oscar the Golden Boy. :D

Gary

7. puma

puma Valued Member

I meant small in the physical term. I read today that Mayweather is looking to come into the ring around 10st 12, which is 2lbs more than he is currently weighing. The report said Oscar is now weighing around 11st 10. So Oscar is fighting a smaller man. He is taller, heavier and just generally bigger than Mayweather.

8. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

There is a picture in our paper here in Sacramento of the two in profile face to chin.

Oscar is bigger and his head is quite a bit larger, bone wise he is much stronger. It is going to be interesting to see if Mayweather at a higher weight will still be able to out box (quicker) I doubt it, Oscar will go for taking a shot to delivering one and that will be the way he will win (imho)...
    Gary

9. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Im a fan of both fighters - i like both styles.

But i would have to say id like to see Oscar kick pretty boys face in!.

It should be a class fight, i havent looked forward to a fight this much in ages. Prob since Tyson-Lewis.

10. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Ever since he got the decision over the German bloke he lost the fight to, I tend to think it's all fixed.

11. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I know where you are coming from and it certainly muddy's the outlook later down the road. I am always suspect of any Don King production.

I am hoping Oscar cleans house.

Another fight down the road I looking forward to will be the Hopkins-Wright match. I am hoping Winky kicks some butt. LOL That fight might clear the way for a Calzaghe match up with one or the other.

But Joe has to get by the next fight first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Calzaghe

Gary

12. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Oscar vs. Floyd

I'll say it again. I hope Oscar wins and retires for good. The only way Mayweather is going to win is if he gets a decision. Everyone knows that Mayweather's only chance is to out box Oscar. He can't knock him out. If Oscar does his job and cuts off the ring he should win.
    Thanks,
    Sensei Tom

13. puma

puma Valued Member

Oscar did go over that body punch from Hopkins though. Yes Hopkins was bigger, but really he shouldn't have been stopped by that. I like De La Hoya, but I wouldn't imagine it out of the question that Mayweather could stop him. Strange things happen! I still can't decide on this fight. Can't wait though!

14. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Puma... :confused:

That punch is devastating, I have seen some of the best go down when caught with that one. It is well known in the Boxing game (sweet science) for being devastating. Body punching has always been taught.

Gary

15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah I can think of not too many worse things than catching solid body punches from B-hop.:eek:

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Based on the last round of theatrics...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/photo_galleries/6382997.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/6382579.stm

I have to say I hope that De la Hoya puts a beatin' on Mayweather.

Boxing doesn't need one more loudmouth ego maniac.

It sort of reminds me of the big mouth that Prince Naseem had right before he got beat like a red-headed stepchild by Marco Antonio Barerra. KAPOW!!! :D

It'd be nice to see Mayweather, his cheez-ball outfits/jewellery and his big mouth get the same sort of beating.:woo:

Attached Files:

17. puma

puma Valued Member

That particular body shot didn't seem that bad. Most of the people who were asked about it afterwards, pros, commentators, trainers, all pretty much seemed to think Oscar should have continued. They questioned if he really wanted it that much anymore - but he seemed to answer that one with his next fight in which he looked very sharp. If that body shot did really hurt him that much, then that just proves it was right on the correct spot rather than a powerful punch. So therefore it is possible that Mayweather could do the same. Watch the shot Hopkins threw again - it doesn't look that hard. But as I said, it must have been right on the spot and with perfect timing, probably just as De La Hoya was breathing in and not ready.

18. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I believe you are missing the point. It was debilitating. Others did not take "that shot" and are not Oscar. I, based on the merits of the man would go along with what he chose to do, and nothing other. He chose it because his body could not or would not respond. You need to understand, he was in the right place at the wrong time and he opened up that area instead of it being constricted and able to withstand the hit. His body could not respond.

Just like they are saying now about Wlad and his left hand knocking out Austin, it was many things and not just one that you are dwelling on. :confused:

The hit by Hopkins was debilitating simple and a fact :eek:

Something to ponder:
    The adult human liver normally weighs between 1.7 - 3.0 kilograms (3.7 - 6.5 pounds), and it is a soft, pinkish-brown "boomerang shaped" organ. It is the second largest organ (the largest organ being the skin) and the largest gland within the human body.

It is located on the right side of the upper abdomen body diaphragm. The liver lies on the right of the stomach and makes a kind of bed for the gallbladder (which stores bile).

If Oscar said it was debilitating (my word), it was. End of conversation :bang:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/debilitating

Regards :)

19. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

are you nuts....that shot was clean, right on the liver and angled up...not to mention thrown by a seasoned pro. that liver shot is really hard to hit right....the angle has to be up....forcing a lot of blood back into the liver capsure......in my 15 or so years of off and on competive training and fighting...i have only beeen hit like that just "right" about three times.

but rest assured it hurts....real bad ....like cant tough it out bad...the body wont let you. (now keep in mind i have fought three rounds with a broke nose...and have been shot in combat before so i know pain)

strangle after about 15 0r 20 seconds the pain goesa away and your good as new..

unfortunatly in boxing you only get a 10 count.

20. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

Floyd by UD or knock out

I like Oscar, but man, Floyd by UD or knock out.