Origin of boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by cuongnhugirl, May 1, 2013.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Are you quite sure?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I67X-FE2EVg"]An ape being awesome[/ame]

Apes are awesome...I have nothing of value to add to this discussion, interesting reading though.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I know they're not much use, but I wish I could do spinning back crescents as good as that.

Other animals seem to be able to naturally put power into things in a way most humans can't without lots of training. They don't have as much of that pesky consciousness stiffening them up and trying to second-guess themselves like we do.

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I'm not quite sure where I read this;

Found in Korea was a stature(s) of a military man posing, appearing as to be striking.

Right off, some Korean Martial Art Historians were acclaiming to be Tae Kyon.

Further study of the statue(s) revealed there were perfect diameter holes in the habes of the statues dpciting perhaps holding a pole-spear-weapon

Point made, old drawings, statues, etc., do not really describe any accuracy of the era which they were first created

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I previously posted in another thread that I thought it was the weirdest one on MAP currently. I recant that statement and place it in this thread.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOqjmkR8gWE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOqjmkR8gWE[/ame]

6. David Harrison

BEST SPORT EVER!!!!

7. Bozza Bostik

It's soooo wrong, but so funny at the same time.

I'm really confused. :(

8. David Harrison

I dunno... offer two monkeys peanuts to fight in a ring... I think calling it wrong might be throwing stones from a glass house :p

9. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I felt a sense of revulsion watching it but I have to admit there was a tiny voice at the back of my head going "right turn Clyde".

10. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

11. Bozza Bostik

When I was doing some wall climbing I'd get home and Orangutan Island would be on the TV (it's like Big Brother with more intelligent and sophisticated participants)..I'd be so envious of the agility and grace of the orangutans as they gently swung through the trees.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgZT5Xr3vkM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgZT5Xr3vkM[/ame]

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  12. David Harrison

Yup, higher levels of sentience are a double-edged sword IMO. We have to come up with ways to get all "zen" about things to switch-off and just let our bodies get on with it.

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Boxing in the Greco-Roman days was nothing like it was today. It was essentially standing toe to toe slugging each other until somebody dropped.

Scientific boxing as we know it today is quite different.

14. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

why is it these threads always turn into train-wrecks? oh yeah, now i remember.

15. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

fun stuff.

16. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Ha! No worries, I'm not basing this on a tremendously educated position either. :]

Fights to the death are not unheard of in our history, but our history takes place in a relatively minuscule portion of our species' history. I'd guess that both striking and grappling martial arts (in the sense of passed down techniques and formalized methods of training) occurred before recorded history - certainly the selection pressures that guided the evolution of our hand occurred before these dates. Natural selection may select for those who can deliver the most damage without damaging themselves in some contests, but in those contests between two males looking for access to females, that is not the case. Personally, I think that this type of conflict is that most likely to represent the origin of hand to hand fighting. Any other, performance is improved by the addition of a large branch or rock, but you don't actually want to kill your opponent if he is simply the elder male of a tribe. You just want access to the LADIES.

In those terms it does not benefit either member of a conflict to fight to the death. Instead, what makes sense is for the dominant male to take over the harem, and the sub-dominant to adopt an alternative mating strategy.

Although natural selection may have played a role in fights to the death, I'd guess that natural selection and sexual selection operated far more frequently on intergroup conflicts.

I think we should make a distinction between intergroup conflict and extragroup conflict. Although both were likely to occur in prehistoric human groups, I think that only intergroup human conflict could lend itself to a formalized set of techniques. Hunter gatherer population densities were likely not so high that they'd be running into each other all that often, so the most frequent form of conflict was probably between young men seeking to establish themselves within the community. Although the capacity to do harm is improved by striking + weapons, this would disrupt the community and potentially do harm to someone you have relied upon in the past and will rely upon in the future. Better to show him that you are the stronger and enlist him as an ally. Better for him to say that you are the stronger and have sex with women when you aren't looking.

In terms of extra group conflict, I'd say that's when the rocks come into play.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  17. David Harrison

There is plenty of evidence of ritualized combat in hunter-gatherer societies.

I wonder how much injuries sustained from these contests helped improve our immune system as a species, as those with weaker defences would die from bacterial infections.

18. David Harrison

But isn't that what boxing was like until the rule revisions of the 19th Century?

19. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

At what point was it termed "Pugilism"?

20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

When it reached Puglia.