"Oriental Splits" and Hip Problems?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by notquitedead, Feb 2, 2005.

1. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

I used to do this stretch every time I started training:
    [​IMG]

During wrestling, sometimes my left hip would start hurting and I couldn't move my leg to the side without causing more pain. It felt like the joint was messed up or something (I don't know that much about anatomy).

I was wondering if the "oriental split" stretch could have been the cause of this problem, because the way your leg is moved out in the stretch is the same direction that caused most of the pain when my hip started hurting.

2. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

If that split was the reason your hip was hurting, then you may have been going too far. I once pulled a groin muscle doing a very similar stretch in just that way. Then again, some exercises just aren't that good for, or gentle on your body.

3. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

It didn't feel like a pulled muscle, it felt like my hip was moving wrong/wobbling around a little bit. If that is the reason, you're probably right about me doing it too far because lots of other people do that stretch and don't have problems. I just wanted to know if that could have been the cause to see if I should avoid that stretch or be more careful when doing it.

I also do butterflies and another stretch for the hips. The other one is where you are on your back on the floor and you bring your knee up to your chest (knee bent) as far as you can. Then you move it to the side and down as far as you can. After that, you start to staighten the leg and move it so it is in the starting position (leg straight out pointing down). That might be the problem, now that I think about it I've only been doing that stretch as well as having the hip problem since I started wrestling.

4. MatsuRyu

MatsuRyu New Member

yeah, stretching too far can mess up joints or muscles, the key is to find the right amount of tension in the muscle, if you feel pain, you've gone too far.

5. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

You know what's cool, if you wanna have loose hips and still do that split thing? Do the split, and walk yourself forward and back on your hands. It's kinda painful, but is less so the more you do it. As always, though, it's a risky move, and should only be attempted by trained martial artists.

6. glo_in_da_dark

glo_in_da_dark New Member

same here... my hip joint pops and feels like its moving out of the socket :eek:

still can't find a good remedy............. me mum told me to quit tae kwon do and my little dillemma will be solved (i hope she's kidding)

7. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

I got told the same thing about my knee.

8. Still Waters

Still Waters New Member

I get the same problem with 'oriental' (or side) splits. From what I have read its about the position of the pelvis while you are trying to do these splits. Basically you should try to tilt you pelvis forward when you are doing side splits to minimiz the pain involved.

This link has a good explaination of what is happening when you feel pain doing side splits. http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch2.html

Personally I still have problems positioning my pelvis correctly when I try to do side splits. I really prefer to do partner stretching in the side kick postion than side splits as I am more likely to get in a better position for a side ways stretch.