opposite stance concepts/tips?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by shs111, Nov 27, 2012.

1. shs111

shs111 Valued Member

After a few years now of cross training boxing and muay thai I always get some good tips as a southpaw of some stuff I can do vs orthodox. Yet I'm not sure the tips I get from boxing will work in mt and vice versa. So for thai/kickboxing sparring what are some specific principles/concepts that work well when fighting opposite stance? Anyone have anything advanced or something works well for them? Thank you all

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When you say "opposite stance", are you saying you and your opponent have different sides forward (mirror stance)?

3. shs111

shs111 Valued Member

Yes southpaw vs orthodox fights

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The mirror stance (opposite stance) is always a good chance to use your back leg roundhouse kick followed by jab and cross.

5. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Most of the principles you learned in boxing carry over to MT. Moving to the opponent's "blind side" is still preferred, although if they're known for spinning techniques, you have to be wary of that. The jab is still not quite used as often as opposed to facing someone in the same stace due to that line being blocked by the opponent's lead hand, although the expanded arsenal of MT makes this less of an issue. One technique I'd suggest making a good part of your arsenal is a rear kick to the inside of the opponent's leg. I'd prefer to set this up with punches first, but a good inside leg kick will cause the opponent to basically dip forward a bit, exposing his chin for an instant; it's a good idea to follow this kick up with a lead hook, as the counter-rotation of pulling the leg back adds a bit to the force of the punch, and I don't think putting a kick in the middle of a combination is all that common, making it unexpected.