Opening hips for front kick

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Heraclius, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Do you have any pictures/videos of this? I'm finding it hard to visualise.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My kick ends up looking a bit like this.

[​IMG]

Supporting leg turned out a little, knee out of the way, support foot pivoted (but no too much), pelvis dropping through and out.
    Actually my kicking side and pelvis probably comes through more than Enoeda's do but the support leg is very similar.
    Actually now I think about it my foot pivots a bit more too (probably related to the pelvis and side coming through).

3. Heraclius

This weirds me out even more than turning for a front kick. It just seems wrong, unless you're doing some sort of thai style 45 degree kick. For a mid-level roundhouse I turn my supporting foot at least 90, usually 135 degrees.

4. Heraclius

Including the face? :p

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Intent all the way baby!
    That's a face to be reckoned with. :)

6. Da Lurker

Da Lurker Valued Member

turning out 45 degrees or more for a roundhouse? yep.
    turning out 45 degrees or more for a teep/push kick/stomp? possibly, but can be done without it.
    turning out 45 degrees or more for a traditional front kick? nope.

it must be as natural as taking a big step/stride. and it also preclude your centerline. if you're in a bladed stance and using your lead foot, back foot is of course angled. if your hips are squared(like in a rear foot front kick), better not turn out the lead foot.

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

But as I understand it, the hips shouldn't be square when you go to kick someone or something. Certainly I find it is easier to attack the centre line if I allow my hip to drive into the kick. But again, that's just me.

8. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

No pics, sorry.

Stand facing a wall in front stance, close enough to put your reverse palm on it.

Now raise your knee and place the ball of the foot on the wall.

Now look at your supporting leg. Play with foot positions. Sink your hips, bend your leg more, push your pelvis forward more - see where you can feel it stretching and where the stress is. You can also push off the wall with your kicking foot as you push into the wall with your pelvis and supporting leg.

9. Heraclius

Cheers, that description... I don't want to say it's better, because that seems rude about your previous description, but... :p

That's really helpful, thanks a lot :).

10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

They should on a front kick.

The force for a maegeri comes from pushing with your bum-muscles and pushing your leg out in the forward plane. You don't gain anything from your hips being off-line from the direction that the kick is going.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Personally I'm with PASmith. I think a little rotation of the supporting foot aids the kick and feels more natural. Keeping the supporting foot pointing straight ahead seems like a stylistic requirement to me, not a practical one.

Mitch

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If I put some "oooopmh" in a front kick sheer momentum means I tend to naturally pivot through a bit.
    Maybe that's a Thai thing as they tend to go through with a kick (roundhouse for example) and let the impact stop their momentum rather than muscle control per se?

13. Mitch

Can't be just a Thai thing as I've never done any MT.

Mitch

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You is a natural, innit. :D

15. John Titchen

I've seen a TKD instructor (not you) deliberately place his soon to be supporting foot out at 90 degrees before doing the kick. Is that a TKD 'thing'?

16. Mitch

Not in any TKD I've done, no. I certainly wouldn't rotate that far!

Mitch

17. Mitch

Fantastic! I'm off to buy the loudest shorts you ever did see! :D

Mitch

18. John Titchen

In many respects, so far as Karate is concerned, and certainly so far as Shotokan is concerned, this is linked (flexibility wise) to how you step from one front stance to another.

Attached Files:

• B.jpg
      B.jpg
      File size:
      85.2 KB
      Views:
    • C.jpg
      C.jpg
      File size:
      88.4 KB
      Views:
    • D.jpg
      D.jpg
      File size:
      86.4 KB
      Views:
  19. John Titchen

and continued.

Attached Files:

• E.jpg
      E.jpg
      File size:
      83.1 KB
      Views:
    • F.jpg
      F.jpg
      File size:
      73.5 KB
      Views:
    • G.jpg
      G.jpg
      File size:
      77.7 KB
      Views:
  20. John Titchen

to..

H.jpg

Taken from a video of me doing Gedan Barai Oi Zuki.