Only serious replies need reply

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by rivend, Apr 12, 2011.

1. rivend

rivend Valued Member

So have you ever considered getting a dummy to help in your times of being without a training partner instead of training alone. :banana:

Attached Files:

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

yes
    double yes if grappling dummies weren't stupidly expensive

4. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

If I could afford them without having to save for a while, I'd probably have a couple of different kinds (a bob and free standing heavy bag (not got room for a hanging one) anyway)

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Actually a few years back I made my own grappling/striking dummy (I'm quite nifty with my hands).
    He's been dubbed "Jolly Batman" (he's sort of got pointy ears).
    When I get in my new house he's in for a pasting! :)

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Heavy bag is better than Bob you have pictured there. Every home should have one

7. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Yes a heavy bag is a wonderful way to train and moving around it and grunting and moving in close to replicate an actual human in close combat is good.But wouldn't you think the actual feel of the human anatomy on a real dummy would make you more effective in an actual situation.If every home had one and the dummy was placed by the door and an intruder entered the realistic dummy would give said intruder slight pause.Than just with a heavy bag possibly giving you valuable seconds to react to an unwanted entry of your place of residence.

8. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

No because an actual human hits you back. Training with a bag serves a few purposes. Cardio ,increasing your punch and kicking strength and working on some combinations. But you'll only get the feel for these combinations when sparring. Fights are dynamic, no one ever just sits there and let's you hit them. Choosing a Bob over a heavy bag for it's "realism" is just silly. If lack of space is an issue the a free standing bag/bob is probably the only thing you can use. But a heavy bag reigns supreme.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

^^What he said

10. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Seriously no comedy yet?

11. ShouBox

ShouBox Valued Member

I don't get whats going on.

12. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Ok let's take a side road here which dummy would you have around the house if you had to pick one? The one on the left or the one on the right.

Attached Files:

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The right - it is "creepy kiddy kitsch"

The one on the left is just effing creepy

14. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Hey the one on the left looks like a well balanced,well groomed boy with a smug little expression of inner knowledge. :) lol

15. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

I would love to get a heavy bag of some kind. I need to find a place to hang it though.

16. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

Yes! I always use a dummy, my assistant John. LOL - Although, he is the one using me as of late.

17. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Anyone in Illinois or the surrounding states that wants a 60 pound heavy bag let me know. I'm upgrading to a 100 pound bag and need to clear this one out.

Also, as far as a training dummy. I married mine about 5 years ago... HOOOooo!!!! ZING!

Thank you, thank you... I'll be here all week. Dont forget to tip your waitresses.

18. Yunjiro

Yunjiro Valued Member

I actually have one (submission master). Work schedules really do damage in terms of training in the gym. I use it mainly for conditioning and just to supplement the things I learned in the gym. You should get one.