Only punches?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Soete-tsuki, Nov 25, 2003.

1. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

boxing

boxing is a great sport and it is a techincal science. i cross train chinese kickboxing with boxing and it helps alot. also anyone who has ever though a boxer in the streets will fell who that they carnt half give you a great crack.

2. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

Because they assume. They don't realize all the dirty little tricks that come into play as well (thumbing with their jab, following their hooks with an 'accidental' elbow, headbutts, etc. Heck, even chewing on ears a la Mike Tyson :D ).

3. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Valued Member

Here is my take on the topic. I have been boxing for quite awhile. Now sometimes I go and vist the gym. Those guys know how to throw a punch. In my past experiences with boxers who knew there stuff have showed me that boxing is not as uneffecient as you think.

Here are some examples.

Kicking against a boxer is not a bad idea but suppose you try a high roundhouse kick. Now what if he just bobs under it and gets in close your leg has most likely not made contact with the ground yet and you have got a well trained boxer on the inside while you still have not recovered from your kick. Trust me on this I have played around with some guys at the gym by kicking at them all the do is slip and bob all day. One was even smart enough that he covered his left side while sending a right hook to my knee.(that hurt like hell could noy really work out for 2 weeks.)

You say a grappler can easily be a handful for a boxer. Well before the grappler can grapple he has to open up sometime. A boxer only needs one opening. For example if ken shamroc attempted to take out tysons legs all tyson needs to do is have an uppercut waiting for him. And tyson is not much of a slouch either.

Why do you guys keep saying boxing is no good in the street. We all know a boxer can throw a destructive punch with 10-16oz gloves on. Even enough to cut an eye and break a jaw and nose in the ring. Thats with gloves on. Now on the street there is no protection on his hands. If he can cause that much damage with gloves on picture him with bare knuckles. Also in the streets there are no rules to where he can throw punches anywhere he wants even to the groin. Shoot it only takes a light shot to the nose before your eyes get all teary and blurred.

As for penetration. A boxer uses his footwork in combination with slipping,bobing and weaving to get on the inside. MY trainner always keeps me trainning on this. Get inside keep those hands up footwork. God gave you feet now use them! he always has me doing stuff like that. Most of the people that are more advance than me know it like second nature. Because they do it so much. Its lock in their minds.

Most boxers are so fit. Look for a pro boxers trainng regimen or workout and you will see why. My trainer told me if you want to last for 3 rounds you condition for six. At the gym some guys will jump rope for like 15 mins straight non stop. Most pros can crank out at least a 2-5 mile run/jog a day.

Now don't get me wrong I am not saying boxing is the ultimate art but what I am trying to say is that there is alot more to boxing that just what you think there is. I suggest going to the gym sitting down with one of the trainners and talk to him about boxing. I am sure you will learn alot. Maybe you should ask to spar with a few of the members. I guess you can say in the end it all comes down to who knows their art better.

4. jeffie7

jeffie7 Valued Member

I'm just walking in on this topic and only read your reply.

Anyone who has been trained in "self defense" knows darn well not to throw a high kick in a real fight. In fact fighting VS a boxer I wouldnt throw a single kick above the belt.

My two main strikes VS a boxer would be, kicks to the knees. and open hand to the throat. I'm not going to stand up to a boxer punch for punch. (or any fight for that matter) I want to end any fight as soon as it starts.
    and throwing a kick to anyones head (unless dazed) is stupid.

5. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

I know of pretty much most of the doormen in Cardiff. Now these doormen, are pretty much known as the hardest people in Cardiff. Most on steroids, some not, some train everyday, some dont bother.
    Now amongst these doormen, NONE, absolutely NONE do "martial arts"
    MOST of them have probably been to some sort of boxing lessons in there lives.
    The few doormen that do stand out, and are probably considered the "pitbulls", are full time boxers.
    Now you tell me, if boxing is so "inefficient" why is it so respected amongst these men upon men.

Now ive seen these guys take out 5 people before it either getting broken up or actually taking a hit themselves. There legs never left the floor.

It actually makes me cringe when people talk about "side kicking" these people.

6. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Boxing is a martial art, but lets pretend it isn't. It is a good self defense "art"/"sport", but it like every other martial art has it's weakness.

While I am sure these doormen are good fighters, I don't see them as the best fighters on earth and am sure they would lose in a fight to quite a few experts in other martial arts.

Take K-1, there is a reason none of the winners are just boxers.

As to taking out 5 people, they must have been 5 idiots or starving children.

Five people would beat one in a fight, 99/100.

No matter how good of a fighter you are, numbers matter.

7. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Valued Member

I understand what you mean Jefie7 but it was just an example. I agree any type of high kick in a street fight is a very wreckless desicion. But for the sake of getting my point across I used it as an example.

8. jeffie7

jeffie7 Valued Member

We have the same things here. Just keep in mind. most normal people dont know how to fight at all. So first off 1 for 1 the bigger guy is going to win. if the fear his size doesnt do it, the guy having the ability to toss someone around like a rag doll will. Add 2 weeks of training of anything (boxing TKD, Karate...) and you'll have a guy that can beat up most everyone that walks into the bar/club. Keep in mind most people do not have any real martial arts background.

That's just how it works. now the 5 on 1. my guess is they were all drunk and just screwing around or were trying to take him down in a nice manor with out doing anything to "hurt" him.

If they wanted to each guy could grab one limb each. the 5th guy could just push his thumb thru his eyes.... nuff said.

however maybe they agreed to fight him Kung Fu movie style. 1 at a time. LOL

9. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

K there was a bit of a misunderstanding with the 5 on 1 thing. Its a bar fight so there are people hitting each other everywhere. This bouncer walks in and takes 5 people out of action, all of which are trying to hurt him, but not necessarily at the same time, some in 2s some on there own.

And yeah im sure the other fighting arts as those displayed in K1 would be good too, but im sceptical when it comes to stuff like Karate and Aikido

10. jeffie7

jeffie7 Valued Member

Please do explain.

11. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Aikido (with the exception of the small and universally shunned school of Tommiki style Aikido) has never shown itself to be an effective art in any setting outside of it's own Demo's. Jason Delucia (apologies for probably butchering the spelling) is the only competitive fighter who has cited Aikido and when you watch him fight you don't recognise any of the techniques orf Aikido.

Why on earth would you NOT be sceptical of Aikido, I studied it for 3 years on and off and I was never truly impressed by it.

12. jeffie7

jeffie7 Valued Member

I dont know a lot about Aikido other then what I've seen in movies.

Karate on the other hand... do go on =)