Only 10 unarmed martial arts have been proven to work

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ronki23, Mar 11, 2018.

1. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Karate

ITF Taekwondo

Judo

Brazilian Ju Jitu

Sambo

2. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Greco Roman Wrestling

Freestyle Wrestling

Kickboxing

Muay Thai

Boxing

This means WTF, Hapkido, Kung Fu, Sumo, Wing Chun, Ninjutsu, Aikido, Japanese Ju Jitsu,Kalari, etc. don't really work because there's no resistance when you're learning.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You havn't defined your use of the term "proved".

Also all the arts you list as ineffective, can and are trained against resistance.

Especially sumo and WTF.

BujinBoston likes this.
  4. Dead_pool

5. Dead_pool

6. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

WTF is unrealistic fighting and in recall sumo losing in early UFC

7. Dead_pool

In every boxing match, boxing loses 50% of the time, if your going to make blanket statements without defined terms, you better be ready to come with the statistics.

By "proved" Do you mean as a sole art in a MMA bout?

Hannibal likes this.
  8. Dead_pool

Yep, so Is boxing, judo and sambo under your definations, but they will KO you if you don't do something about it ASAP.

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

ronki23, what is your point with all of this?

The statement you make about certain arts not being trained with resistance is completely without foundation.

You can always tell the ones that don't train, because they are the ones who post negatively about certain arts.

Those that train look to support, grow and find commonalities within the arts.

10. Dead_pool

Boom, case disproved!

11. Dead_pool

WTF beat Bj Penn, so does that mean MMA/BJJ is worse them WTF?

axelb and Simon like this.
  12. Simon

And you are the guy who posted about Steve Morris saying Karate didn't work.

Pot, kettle and black springs to mind.

Hannibal likes this.
  13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

like deadpool said. You have to define your parameters first before you claim something doesn't work.

Hannibal and Dead_pool like this.
  14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Epic delusional post is epic....

Seriously OP, its like you are trying to het perma banned. This is simple crap posting with no basis in fact.

Even within the UFC alone I can list dozens of systems that have "proved" by garnering a victory including pro wrestling, Ninjutsu, trap fighting, boxing and sambo

Go give your head a shake and stop being polemical when you haven't earned the right to be

15. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Recently, a promoter put a show on in Sheffield that allowed Wing Chun practitioners to compete against fighters from other disciplines under a modified Sanda rule set. The Wing Chun guys actually did ok.

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  16. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

@Dead_pool

While we're here, has Lau Gar actually worked in the cage? Because the only applied Lau Gar would be in kickboxing above the waist. The backfist-reverse punch doesn't cut it in full contact and/or K-1. As a matter of fact, I personally only know two people in MMA who did Lau Gar: Tom 'Kong' Watson (who also did boxing, Kyokushin and Muay Thai) and I personally know Bryony Tyrell who's won a few amateur MMA titles. I used to compete on the IMAO circuit and I just don't see Lau Gar measuring up to Muay Thai or Kyokushin. What about Lau Gar grappling because Bryony's strength is grappling.

Also Lau Gar was invented by Jeremy Yau when he came to the UK; there's nothing traditional about it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  17. Simon

So the cage is your barometer of what works and what doesn't.

Could something be weakened due to a ruleset, maybe?

BujinBoston likes this.
  18. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

I've trained in traditional ju jitsu ( people on this forum bash my school saying it's 'fake') and judo and no wrist locks or standing arm bars and figure 4 shoulder locks will ever measure up to a judoka who's used to randori. Ju jitsu and judo were from the same association and I learned a lot more useful things in judo.

I also trained kickboxing at 3 clubs and the only decent club was the one that DIDN'T do pointfighting. Funnily enough that club was part of Wutan martial arts and the kickboxing was influenced by Praying Mantis Kung Fu, Muay Thai and American kickboxing. So this either means Praying Mantis is better than Lau Gar or it means the benefits of the decent club came from the Muay Thai influence. There were no backfist-reverse punches or hopping side kicks and we didn't bother chambering kicks compared to the Lau-Gar based clubs

19. Simon

There is a time and place for certain techniques.

The Jeet Tek from JKD for example. An awesome powerful shot that will smash a knee, yet I don't use it as often as the chasse, as I find the distancing easier, especially in the chaos of a fight.

20. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

By the way ive trained at 9 clubs. I've trained in freestyle (Lau Gar) kickboxing, kickboxing based on Muay Thai and Praying Mantis, Goshin Ju Jitsu (same lineage as Vernon Bell and Kenshiro Abbe), Judo, Olympic wrestling and no-gi grappling. I've never achieved a black belt but I have gone up several belts and competed.

I don't do individual martial arts anymore- if/when I resume training (as I haven't trained in 5 months due to personal issues) I will do MMA as I enjoy MMA more than traditional