Online training – has your view changed in the age of COVID

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Xue Sheng, Jun 17, 2020.

1. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

Most of my training has been based on zoom classes, going over kata I already know and occassionaly going through the DVD's Ive collected over the years, making notes and comparisons. Ive recently gone through the first 2 of Sifu Buck Sam Kong's Hung Gar DVD's. It's mostly the basics on these first two (I have all five for cheap but Im not bothered with learning forms from other systems) and all I gleaned from it is that there's a lot more in common with the Goju Ryu I've seen than some kung fu snobs I know have led me to believe (then again their arguements revolved around 'energy' in the body and other chinese medicine nonsense).

Ive got more to work through like CLF, Judo and a few other styles and books to read (Like Get Tuff and Silent Killing). Everything I've gone through already is either showing me stuff I already know under different names or I'm seeing bizarre low percentage techniques (Hakka Unicorn Style 'finger sword' anyone?) that I'd never really consider over the straightforward techniques, like a good low kick, throw, submission etc.

I did entertain some online courses, as I've previously gone through the NYC Sanda school's Lama Pai course. I've also had an advert for an instructor course from SKMA in Hapkido (and since Im unemployed and theirs a lot on their info wise, I may be able to take a course like that logistically under universal credit), but I don't think I'd consider a course like that as anything more than an extra string to my bow if I went into teaching later, something I could draw from as supplementary to class time, sweat and practicing an art hands on under an instructor. I know Hapkido is derived from and similar to a lot of things I've trained before, so in my eyes that would be a lot more reasonable than me taking a book on Escrima and then trying to teach out of in a goju ryu or judo class.

Kemposhot likes this.
  2. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

I would be curious to hear a bit about the NYC Lama Pai course you took, simply because it is a sister system to my own Tibetan White Crane, having come from the same root method.

3. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

You can find it on their teachable page it's about 2.5 hours of content. It's most fundamentals on the main strikes, kicks, applications, combinations etc. I've done a small amount (and I mean small, like, the eight seeds as they're called and thats about it) in the past privately, and it just became unreasonable to keep it going, but when I saw that course it let me brush up on what I remembered and have a reference (which my animator self likes to use for when Im drawing and posing characters for fight scenes).

It seems the content is taken from classes and recorded seminars, it's all Chan Tai San's line, Sifu David Ross is the teacher on the content. I personally found it interesting, as it tends to approach it's big swings and movement from a different view than what Im used to, shorter range and less opening methods like in Goju Ryu, so it's something I like to keep in my awareness that I'm not boxed into a specific movement pattern for my own practice.

Flying Crane likes this.
  4. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

I am familiar with the lineage, Ive seen some magazine articles that Sifu Ross has published. I’ve never seen their stuff directly and would find it interesting simply on a curiosity level.

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

This is a class mate of Ross's with David Rogers

IronMaiden1991 and Flying Crane like this.
  6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

And some stuff from Ross