online register of instructors

Discussion in 'Judo' started by judojedi, Sep 15, 2003.

1. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

anyone know of an online register of high ranking judoka. i was at this club in liverpool and an middleaged fella was there with a red and white belt on. he said he was 7th dan, but he seemed hesitent on several throws and didn't inspire me with confidence in his ability at all. aparently he's in the BJA, being the biggest association they must have some sort of register.

on a separate note, hi everyone, this is my first post.
    i'm a 1st dan BJC and 1st kyu AJA and run my own club.
    no notable tornament wins but i nearly armlocked neil adams when he came to our club last year (well its sort of a claim to fame)

:D

must dash as i'm abusing my work internet privilege by posting this.

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Welcome to MAP judojedi !

I suppose you can contact the BJA online. I looked at this site and I see no online register there. I suppose you are entitled to find out if you are running your own club.... .... maybe this 7th dan is "out of practice" ??
    I would personally discuss the matter with him also (maybe prior to your investigation).

3. Jim

Jim New Member

I believe many organisations have an online BB register. Check also with www.judoinfo.com if you have no luck.

4. judojedi

i have searched for a BJA register online but no luck. don't supose it matters that much, i just won't invite him down to my club. the more i think about it, the more i rekon he is a sixth dan of his own association and only a first dan or lower in the BJA.
    thanks for the welcome kickchick (cool name by t'way).
    cheers jim, i'll check that website out. jim, did you have trouble uploading that picture to your avitar. i cnt get the picture i want uploaded no matter what i try.

5. Jim

Jim New Member

If you're having trouble send a PM to Yoda. He loves that kind of thing, being an administrator and all. :D

Before you do though, make sure that you're following all the instructions listed in the upload your pic section. A common problem is that your pic may be too big. It only allows a JPEG of about 200K.

6. judojedi

yea i reckon the picture is to big. i'll try a few more times. cheers.

7. judojedi

Success! the ava-whats-it-call that i've bin trying to get.
    cool eh?
    'avatar' is the word i'm looking for.
    it was to big jim, i was trying to upload 5MB's! lol.
    now how do change thet pesky 'junior member' bit that kinda contradicts the toughness portrayed by my scary skull? mmmm.

8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Go to your "user cp" area
    Click on edit profile
    Go to Custom User Text where you can change your "title" to something more "tough"
    cool avatar :) ... I'm so scared:eek:

Back onto topic now.
    Jim , I am not sure how readily available "online" registries are. I haven't been able to access one ... especially without a login and password.

Best bet on finding out the qualifications of a judoka is to go to the source of their ranking organization don't you think?
    And you can contact any of them thru email .. now whether they disclose that information to you is an entirely different question.

9. judojedi

kickchick, there is no 'custom user text' option on my 'edit profile page'. its just my details, hobbies and so forth. i'll keep trying cos i wanna be called 'supreme lord and master judoka of middle earth and the dark realm'
    think its to flashy? does it presume to much?
    how about 'absolute king and deity to you lesser mortals' no?
    what about if we just lose the 'junior' bit. yea that'll do, or i'll put a quote from some obscure philosopher on there to make me look intelligent while the skull makes me look hard.

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I think you need to make enough posts to get to Member status before you can change your Custom Text. Sorry!

11. judojedi

doh! ok, would you happen to know how many posts are required?

12. Jim

Jim New Member

*Groan* Don't tell him that! He'll end up doing like the 'dragons' did a year ago and post like the blazes everywhere....

It's only a hundred posts anyway. Who cares how many posts (that's it Jim, slow and steady wins the race.. only a few more to get the Grand..)

Back to the original topic... I wasn't particularly looking for an online register (personally I don't give a bugger). JJ's the one looking for this. I say go with gut instinct after you've spoken with them. If they lie about their grading, what else are they going to lie about...

13. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I realize this Jim....it is just that you did post that these org do have online registers and I could not locate any.

Ack!! WHAT??!! KC can't locate a link????:D ;)

14. judojedi

like the new photo KickChick. i've found out this dubious 7th dan is actully only 1st dan AJA, 1st Kyu BJA and 7th dan of the....are you ready for this?.......the north leeds judo alliance! as far as i'm aware this individual has started this 'alliance' himself and proclaimed himself as the leader. the alliance consists of about 3 clubs apparently. must admit, before i became a black belt i was tempted to start my own association and declare myself a second dan or something just so i could wear a black belt.
    any judoka in leeds who know of this alliance and its founder???

15. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... thanks "tall, dark & handsome" :)

Now is this what HE told you or were you able to find this out beforehand and from where?

Please say that isn't so!!:(

16. saikyou

saikyou New Member

hmm... I read a thread somewhere(forgot where) about the same thing. a guy declared himself as a dan(forgot what dan)after learning a "few" techniques and started a school himself and robbed his old school of its teachings and said that HE is the founder.