Online Ninja Training

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by kikentai, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Hi Don,

Actually, yeah. Us. We've been doing that for at least the last 10 plus years, including things like consulting with legal counsel for post-fight issues (what we refer to as the "Second Wave"), and Mr Miller's book is also considered required reading for my seniors, and highly recommended for everyone else (personally, I think it is one of the best books written on the topic hands down).

That is then combined with adrenaline-based training, understanding of psychology (body language, pre-fight indicators, verbal defusion, posturing to get the opponent to "bottle out", and more), we've done training in protective driving (driving skills to avoid car-jacking, anti-road rage tactics etc), anti-surveilance to avoid being targeted by criminals, and far more. All of this comes under our "self defence" banner, as it isn't really the traditional stuff. But it is, as you said, essential if we're going to claim to be teaching and promoting "self defence" in this modern world.

2. Sbucks74

Sbucks74 F.A. no Budo

3. Sbucks74

Sbucks74 F.A. no Budo

Had to laugh, it was on a reply page on amazon

4. KawasakiNinja

KawasakiNinja Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shPj5xidsQo&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shPj5xidsQo&NR=1[/ame]

Just come across this chap, and he's discussing the psychology of threatening behaviour. Interesting at around 6:40 ish where he discusses Rory Miller's "folded arm scratch chin thinking pose" (as discussed in his book).

Also a demonstration of "looking bored" but being 100% focused.

No idea if this is anywhere near Rory's seminar content.

(The link above is part two, part one here:) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdU-dcouUrk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdU-dcouUrk[/ame]

Update, seems he has read Rory's book too: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvQC9Mb7eFo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvQC9Mb7eFo[/ame] - Not watched it yet, X-Factor's on :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  5. Sbucks74

Sbucks74 F.A. no Budo

Comes across well, but one thing and it may be me is that, no-one seems to show a natural reaction of being attacked, its still very the invincible martial art biased in it's approach.
    Also being based of someone being confrontational or monkey dance, what about removing the monkey dance and being chinned out right. At the worst possible moment do you find yourself.
    The psychology should be implemented throughout training in martial arts classes or maybe Instructors cannot teach what they do not know or not have had expirience in.
    The Pt2 Vid had a more realistic form of ichimonji no kamae at 9.30ish being the fence.
    Bad hair day on Vid 3 though, thought Jedward had delved into MAP
    All in all good vids and food for thought for the masses

6. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

That gets to the difference between what Miller refers to as "social" violence versus "predatory" violence.

7. seattletcj

seattletcj Valued Member

Millers stuff is awesome. I dont want to take anything away from him, but Geoff Thompson (and others) has been talking about this stuff for literally decades.

8. Sbucks74

Sbucks74 F.A. no Budo

I've ordered the book by Miller, so it'll be good to compare it to Geoff Thompson. Still rate and read 'Watch my Back' by Geoff.
    I'm also looking at a few Dave Grossman books as well, they have been mentioned a few times on MAP.
    Cross training and cross reading:cool:

9. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Miller's book is great! However, I have to agree with seattlecj that other people have been talking and pushing similar material for a long time.

That being said everyone should read Rory Miller's book! :cool:

10. llong

llong Valued Member

Thanks for the recommendation! I just ordered it as well.

11. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

Wear a skirt and complete the trinity! :eek:

12. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

I thought I should make people aware of some things that have changed.

Amir Khan has left his old teacher. He was not willing to really bad mouth anyone, but his silences on the matter seems to indicate that he had difficulties with what he had been told and put through.

He was at a seminar I gave in New York. I can say that I have seen people with more experience move worse than him and he seemed to not only ask questions, but be able to remember and know what he was asking about.

Before I went to New York, I got an anonymous e-mail from someone saying that he might leave for the Jinenkan. I did not get the chance to talk it over with him. But on consideration, I can understand why he would like a chance to start over again instead of having the burden of his rank get in the way.

In short, I think he might deserve another chance and our support for whatever path he takes in the future.

13. jwills79

jwills79 Valued Member

Mr. Roley,

Isn't that Mr. Khan's personal business? You haven't confirmed it is true. At this point you are just spreading rumors. Whether it is or isn't, he should be the one to tell the community not you.

Gossiping is for little girls and old folks!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  14. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Whether just an unsubstantiated rumour or fact, you cannot overlook:

a) Mr Roley's praise for Mr Khan's technique/movement, and
    b) This comment:

I added my thanks to Mr Roley's post due to (b).

15. jwills79

jwills79 Valued Member

Yes, right after he insulted him. Arrogant people tend insult others under the disguise of a compliment. Saying something nice at the end doesn't override everything else written in the same post.

16. ScottUK

Insulted him? I'm obviously blind or stupid.

17. jwills79

jwills79 Valued Member

No, not all. Do you believe that the post in no way attempted to take a jab at Mr. Khan? Are you aware of Mr. Roley's previous insults towards him in this thread?

18. ScottUK

As I have followed this thread from its inception, I am very aware of what was said by Mr Roley.

I see none of that in the above post though.

Please point out where he did this, concentrating on my emboldened text in your quote:

19. garth

garth Valued Member

Just been reading some articles on the internet when I found this.

Massaki Hatsumi, quoted by Ben Cole

http://www.ninjutsu.co.uk/uraomote/96/october.html#qout

Why does this remind me of a few people on this forum?

20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Drop the issue now. I really didn't see anything insulting in that post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.