Online Mentoring

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by donb, Sep 8, 2007.

1. donb

donb restless spirit

Anybody wanting to share/teach (for a reasonable price of course) their knowledge and skill in fma, i am very much interested in. I don't think this has been done and it would be difficult to monitor progress but it would help people in areas that do not have legit fma programs. Also, buying videos and books lack the interactive approach. With utmost respect to the seniors in fma, this is also a good way to spread fma and maybe a good business approach (not sure yet about this part, coz i haven't heard of this yet). Anyway, after reading all the comments in this forum, i had been looking around for fma instructors in my area with limited success. Thank you very much.

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

there is some thought to it that runs along these lines. these were the proposed steps:

1) pick a style.
    2) correspond online.
    3) attend that teacher's seminar (major $$$ :()
    4) train with the teacher's basics video
    4) video yourself doing the basics of the video and send to said teacher.

*the video of yourself should be of the same movement in different camera angles.

5) teacher sends feedback and corrections through email.
    6) repeat step 5 until teacher is satisfied
    7) attend new seminar
    8) get intermediate dvd.

p.s. this is a poor second to real instruction but some styles (mine included) have produced basics videos

NB: my teacher sold his stuff to his students. it was meant to be a basics disc to assist his overseas students and his teacher in those places. he comes every so often to conduct seminars.

3. donb

donb restless spirit

i appreciate the information; thanks; anyway, if you don't mind me asking, what style do you practice? then, may be i can locate sources about it in my area?

4. shootodog

currently learning kali de leon.

5. donb

donb restless spirit

would you happen to know anybody teaching that in the Illinois area? I've ran into Balintawak and Presas style so far only. With the Presas style, i kinda have a problem (don't get me wrong he was good), but i learned it when he was my P.E. instructor so i'm kind of partial to learning it again, besides, the 2 instructors here that i've met are not that convincing about their own technique. Balintawak instructor teaches through a Wing Tsun school which i'm not really interested in learning so it's not easy and he's only available a few days in a month or so because he lives in another state (and expensive).

6. shootodog

teaching kali de leon or another fma style?

7. donb

donb restless spirit

any fma style for as long as it's not Presas style (no offense to anybody, just personal preference); also, i haven't really heard of kali de leon, could you please enlighten me about it

8. shootodog

where exactly? chicago?

www.kalideleon.com

9. donb

donb restless spirit

yes, i live south suburbs of Chicago, thanks

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

What are the odds on that, eh?

Donb, I'd certainly seek out personal instruction rather than trying any online option. You can learn about a martial art that way. But I'm not convinced (at all) that you can actually learn to perform a martial art that way. Not from the ground up anyway. I think the ability to utilize sources like videos, books, and online discussions increases steadily the more actual experience you have. But from first exposure, it's a very difficult way to go.

Around Chicago, I'd wager you'll have some good options though. Take heart.

Stuart

11. donb

donb restless spirit

Thanks. And i have been looking for good personal instructors in the area because i am not that of a newbie in stickfighting. I have trained lameco in the Philippines (20 yrs ago) before it was considered a full system (lameco used to be a purely offensive approach, defensive techniques were later developed by Master Sulite but i had moved on to other things). There's one art about 2 hrs. from were i live which would not be easy (but maybe i can make special arrangements with the instructor) but mostly in the southern end of Chicago and suburbs are mostly Modern Arnis by Master Presas which i am already familiar with. In fact, i already had a friendly sparring with 2 of the instructors and they're still in the beginning stages of their techniques. The aggressiveness of the training in the Philippines were not there, maybe for liability reasons. State laws in Illinois are weird - they can sell you a gun (with a license) but you have to go to a seminar before you can purchase a rertactable baton unless you have a military or police ID. I will keep looking. In fact, i'm kind of curious when Pat decides to do his seminars in the US, sometime in July, i'll probably be there. Thanks again.

12. shootodog

there's jkd kali, sayoc, and de thouars silat there. pm e-rocker and ask him where he trains.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Oh. Well, that's a little different then. Sorry. I misunderstood your original question. If you've got a solid background already, I expect you could pick up material through video, etc. Though I'd still recommend checking out something like the nearby(?) Kali De Leon school.

Stuart

14. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I would say you still cant beat the real thing but dvd's can be a good source if you already have some decent background which it sounds like you do. But I would get some opinions before buying as there are a lot of dvd's out there that are not all they are cracked up to be.

best regards

Pat

15. donb

donb restless spirit

I was 22 years younger and 60 lbs. lighter when i trained in lameco so in a way it's like starting all over even if my foundation was good. And even if i'm still active in other forms of martial arts, the intensity (speed and endurance) does not seem to be the same.
    I did purchase a couple of books, and Pat, i did watch the preview of your fundamentals and will be ordering that on payday, Thanks.
    Regarding a school in the area, my first delimna is that none of the filipinos in my area are remotely interested in martial arts, let alone, fma. There's a person that i've heard of, that has moved in the West suburbs pf Chicago, from Florida, planning to open a school. He is supposed to be good and is supposedly teaching the president of the US Muay Thai federation stickfighting. I don't know the name, the style, or where he is. No websites, records, whatsoever. The closest info. i got was his supposed to be girlfriend is a physical therapist in a nearby nursing home, but how do you approach that topic, i don;t have a clue. Thanks for all your input.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  16. shootodog

it would be nice if you could learn your own family's system, considering you come from a legendary lineage.

17. donb

donb restless spirit

i tried to explain it in another thread (search of saavedra system), i wish there really was a saavedra system of stickfighting. But my understanding with it (what i learned from my grand father) was how to use bladed weapons with very short techniques, using short weapons, to finish an opponent in a very short period of time. It wasn't much but it focused on taking out guards (using stabs/cuts that no sound will come from your target). So i thought that this was more of a military-oriented system/training, rather than a saavedra-system. I never translated it into stickfighting because of the close-quarter nature of it, and i just couldn't see it at the time. Also, i believe that systems long-time ago are limited by the experiences of the people that started it. As time goes and introduced to others, the system evolves (a lot can be added) based on other experiences, and may no longer be like the original, and may take on another name as well. Stickfighting nowadays, is so improved that it would be so easy to tear down an old system because of the weaknesses and limits of the founder. Having a name as part of lineage does not mean much but enough to honor the past but not dwell in it. I actually have thought of researching that system - looking for its original, raw version, and rebuilding it with all my experiences from other martial arts (i have been in quite a few now) and calling it "rebirth of the saavedra system". It's funny because, here i am a filipino, with a name to boot, but practicing japanese arts which my grandmother hated until she died and my grandfather taught me how he would take out japanese soldiers, using their own weapon (bayonette). I'm not at that level yet to be that bold and recreate anything, mainly because i have not practice fma. I can not claim something i'm not. I'm happy to be a student for now, absorbing as much knowledge as i can. I apologize for talking to much but bringing my grandfather brings back memorize (he raised me). Thanks.

18. shootodog

martial arts is a personal expression of one's self.

from what i've heard of your family system, it is like some, if not most, fma: a blade art that uses bastons as an intermediary training tool. arnis/escrima/ kali isn't about the stick. it never is. it is the systematic training of body movements to use weapons. so we use bastons now, it could translate to blades, common day impact weapons, and body weapons. as theory would have it, the use of weapons merely as an extension of your body weapons. that training the weapons trains your body to be a weapon.

you could go back to your grandfather's teachings and find the "successors" of his teachings (i.e. the doce pares club). find out which techniques came from and evolved from your family system and start from those two. add on your own "expression" of your family art.

since pat knows dp inside and out maybe he can help you dig up the info that you need.

it's a start.

ps: went throu the other thread. it mentions arnis diablo (which is sometimes called barau sugbu). this is a fairly active group. small and secretive. i have some leads to some local practitioners. maybe they can help you out as well.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  19. donb

donb restless spirit

thanks for your guidance. this sounds like a good start. I'm hoping to be back in the PI in June (I haven't been back since '94). Maybe I could look you up and we can have some drinks. Thanks.

20. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Well if you are in Cebu in late June next year I will quite happily introduce you to the people at the DP HQ. Your family started that group. Also you will have to meet the San Migeul and Balintawak seniors as you will find much of your families influence and style within these groups.

May I suggest you also contact Master Ramon Rubia who is in the USA he may also be able to help you

Best Regards

Pat