One-legged squats

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jack, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Jack

Jack Valued Member

So, heres the situation.

Because of my lack of weight equipment, I don't have a squat rack. I can only press so much weight to position on my back to Squat with, so to get the resistance I need to want to do one-legged squats.

The only problem is, I cannot do one of these yet. What I did today in my workout was a one legged squat whilst holding onto a bar with my hands. I'd push with my thight, providing just enough assistance with my arms and back to allow 10 reps. If I did this each workout, whilst slowly providing less and less power from the arm and back muscles, hopefully I'll be able to do a one-legged squat at some point.

But, has anybody any other ideas for ways to improve my chance for this movement? Perhaps negatives? Pylometrics? Any ideas appreciated.

And I think I'll be getting a dip station for christmas... I want to master that exercise too. Again, I can barely do a single one of those, but I think I'm going to practice with negatives for a few weeks and then just battle my way through to higher reps. I shan't be getting a squat rack because there is simply not the room for one. ;)

Jack

2. Cain

Cain New Member

Try Hindu squats instead, one legged squats are tough, I am only able to grunt out 5 at normal or 7 on my luckiest day ;)

Yoda may have better advice than me [duh!!!] but do regularly try them even if it's with some assistance...

Also try the leg exercises at good ol' scrapper's site!

http://www.trainforstrength.com

The dip station is a fantastic idea, I have two tables to substitute it though I have to keep my legs bent quite a bit...

|Cain|

3. Tireces

Tireces New Member

I have the same problem. I find doing a full range of motion through the squat (same as the hindu squat, only Im lifting a barbell) works quite nicely. I also like to do jumping squats (also with barbell). Really putting your legs into deadlifts works too.

4. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try some of those techniques. I don't suppose Anyone else would have any more comments or brainfarts to help out with? :)

Jack

5. Cain

Cain New Member

Looks around.....ah there's Yoda :D

|Cain|

6. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

You need a flexable calves muscle to do 1 legged squat, other wise when you go down there you will not be able to balance because you'll probably end up in a tip toes position. Inorder to do 1 leg squat your foot must be flat out touching the ground to have stable balance. So stretch your calves a lot, before hand.