One-Armed Barbell Lifts

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Blevunly, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Blevunly

Blevunly Valued Member

Anyone ever tried a one armed barbell lift, like the bent press or bench press with one arm or upright/bent rows? I just did them and it was fairly difficult there was alot of balance to it. Anyways my question is, is the extra balance and less weight a good thing or should I stick with basic Oly and Powerlifts only?

2. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

I haven't actually worked up the balls to try a barbell snatch yet, but the people I know who do things like that mostly do them for fun/variety...I haven't come across anyone who's really serious about using them consistently over long periods of time.

3. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

4. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I think they are great to use moderatly but I would not go any length of time using them as my staple pushing exercises. They do not work the muscles as hard as they could because grip and balance are limiting factors. People could say that is functional excercise at its best but I dissagree.

5. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

your staple pushing exercise should be the one in which you can push the most i.e. front press (military press). however one armed lifts are great ancillary lifts for adding variety in your workout and beat a 70's tricep throwback (or whatever their called ;) ) anydat of the week.

6. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

I've been doing one arm barbell snatches lately... They sure are fun, and they get you a lot of attention at the gym :D

7. Combatant

Yep, I agree totally.

8. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

Explain yourself!?! :eek:

9. Combatant

LMAO! :p I don't know where you got that quote from but I swear I was at a vunerable time of the month. ;) :D

10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I personally think they are great lifts. Strongmen of old used them very often and I enjoy them as variety. While lifts like the bent press or one arm BB snatch are good for variety, one arm deadlifts, suitcase deadlifts and other variations are excellent exercises that should not be overlooked.

11. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

strongmen of new use two hands ;)

http://media.putfile.com/...mind_1993_Dimas