On pushups

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Vijay arun, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Vijay arun

Vijay arun New Member

Hi :) In boxing pushups are very important.I could take only fast pushups.But my freinds are saying that in the begging stages of exercising slow pushups should be taken.And I can't take the slow stuff.So what can I do?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Both?

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

It is harder to do slow push ups than quick ones. As far as I understand, doing exersizes slower makes the muscle work harder, or increases endurance or something like that. If you can't do them slowly, but can do them quickly, I'd view that as something to work on and improve.

4. Vijay arun

Vijay arun New Member

Thanks!But if I start with slow pushups will I eventually able to do the quicker ones?

5. Jude3085

Jude3085 New Member

Why shouldn't you? Doing them slower will let you build endurance and strength. Also if you want to build exposive power in your push-ups do clap pushups. It's a great way to get explosive strenght in your push-ups.
    If you want to do clap push-ups do 8 sets of 3 reps.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2004
  6. Who am I?

Who am I? New Member

I believe so

7. Vijay arun

Vijay arun New Member

I am sorry for a mistake in my question.The actual question is as follows.
    Will I eventually be able to the slow pushups(which are harder)
    if I start with the quicker ones(which are easy to do)?

8. Jude3085

Jude3085 New Member

No, you wont build much muscle doing fast push-ups because your not using the full extent of your muscles and not challenging them enough.

9. Cain

Cain New Member

Jude's right however fast push ups help in explosiveness ie plyometrics IMO

|Cain|

10. warren

warren Valued Member

for a real good work out try handstand push ups against a wall with a pause at the bottom of each rep

11. fallout

fallout New Member

If you can support your own body weight when doing slow push ups then try benchpressing to build up the required muscles (chest and tricpes) also if your hands are closer togther you are working your triceps more where as if they are further apart the emphasis is on your chest more, it may be the case that your chest is stronger that your tricpes or vice-versa.

12. Vijay arun

Vijay arun New Member

Please explain me what handstand pushup is?

13. Cain

Cain New Member

Handstand push ups are when your upside down with only your hands on the floor and doing push ups, you can support your legs on the wall to keep balance.

Also Vijay, you by any chance from India?

|Cain|

14. Vijay arun

Vijay arun New Member

I couldn't get u cairn

15. Cain

Cain New Member

Try this -

16. Jude3085

Jude3085 New Member

Wouldn't handstand push-ups work your back? not you pecs?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2004
  17. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

You mean handstand push ups?

There's a scene in a flim, (I think its The Rock) where Nicholas Cage does hand stand push ups. If I can remember the exact name if the movie, I'll post it.

18. Cain

Cain New Member

Con air :D

|Cain|

19. Vijay arun

Vijay arun New Member

I tried this stuff once.But it made blood flow thru' my head and I could not with stand the pressure for more than a second or two.
    I think it is easier to do ordinary pushups than hand stand pushups.What do you think?

20. peacfulwarrior

peacfulwarrior New Member

In between

Another way of doing pushups are with your feet elevated they don't necessairly have to be straight up. Try using a chair or bed to raise your feet.