On Mixed Handedness, ambidextrousness, Hand Dominance and Stance

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by belltoller, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

This is a fantastic point. Because in Kali there is the idea of forehand/backhand strikes. I don't believe that there are any 'legal' backhand strikes in Boxing, it's all forehand thrusts or slashes (from a Kali POV).

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Yes, thank you. Right, I'm not ambidextrious - I'm mixed handed - which isn't the same thing. Mixed-handed means that one does have a definate preference of left or right - which, as you pointed out, is the assignment of gross motor/fine motor movements to the respective left or right hand; however, in a mixed-handed individual, that assigment of gross/fine motor skills is inconsistant from task to task.

For example, I write left handed exclusively -I canna switch to write with my right hand without the results looking like a dyslexic three year old managed to get hold of a pen. The assignment of fine-motor movement skills is definately made to the left hand.

Odd bit with that being that I while I do write with my left hand exclusively - which should indicate hand-dominance, I've played guitars for years and in no way could I attempt to switch to the left handed style.

Instruments that require seperate roles for each hand are even more "hand-centric" than writing is - the nuances of feel for each hand are much more involved - if you've ever played, you'll know what I mean. So, in another case the assignment of fine-motor skills is definately made - to the right.

I never gave it a thought until day one during legs and feet stances when they said "your leading side is the opposite of your preferred hand - left shoulder if right handed, right shoulder leads if..." So, now its preferred hand, it is.

I kept waiting for my body to tell me which preferred hand it was going to be in this case, but it never did, so I arbitrarily chose right - for the reason you pointed out.

"How long have you been training. It takes thousands of hours to start rewriting your movement patterns to the point where you can effectively string together multiple punch combinations."

I haven't been at it long - spent a couple of months getting myself in enough condition to be able to get through the first few classes. My kids were already boxing at the school, so I would go over and watch the Muay Thai training while they were in their class. Seeing these much younger and fitter folks dropping like flies made me want to get in there - must be a little masochist I suppose, lol.

I'd done a little TKD as one of my kids is concurrently in ITF TKD, but the level of conditioning maintained from day one in MT here blew it out of the sky.

Anyroads, just as I was starting to make some gains, I contracted something nasty thats kept me out of training for weeks now. I've just got to the point over the last couple of days where I could get back on line - hence my delay in responding to your post(s).

Really resent the time I've lost...I'm racing against the clock as it is.

Cheers,

3. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Like Chadders I am not completely right handed, I throw short accurate distances better with my left, and play pool/snooker left handed but everything else is righthanded. On the other hand I am most definately left footed, which throws me out of whack because my power leg is not available for rear leg kiks.

4. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

This is exactly how I am.

What I find helps me is box othordox, left land as your lead jab hand as this works best. Make this the comfy way of training then when your good switch it.

I find when I switch it throws people off and oddly they often naturally become more defensive which is nice for me.

Just get used to one side first.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm a weird mix as well.. I tend to be right handed for writing/drawing and training I'm orthodox. However, I do absolutley everything else left handed, including brushing teeth to using the remote.
    (i was forced to be right handed when using chopsticks...Chinese mentality)

When I spar though, I do tend to switch a lot. However I do notice that when I go southpaw, my combinations isnt as sharp but I also feel just as comfortable.
    I would have to agree its experienced Southpaw coaches that are important. Sometimes to just say, "train like a othordox, just backwards" is not enough.
    Tactics come into play a lot more than "Southpaws are more vunerable to straight rights"

But thats just me.