On Mixed Handedness, ambidextrousness, Hand Dominance and Stance

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by belltoller, Sep 20, 2011.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

This is something that is really throwing me off, though I'm not certain as to why it would. Coming to grips with which one is the dominant hand shouldn't be that difficult, right?

Its not a case of either hand feeling dominant, comfortable in either stance but the polar opposite - not feeling dominant in either hand and not 'centered' in either stance.

Make sense?

2. 7heTexanRebel

7heTexanRebel Valid Member

So both sides feel just as awkward?
    I'd take it as a blessing, you can be 100% ambidextrous once you don't feel awkward anymore!

3. belltoller

Yeah, its a thing where you think your comfortable in the standard so its jab, cross, jab, jab, cross, cross, uppercut...no wait...not right...switch stance another set...doesn't feel right...switch stance...end up switching stance half-dozen times, by then you're loosing touch with your internal compass or whatever it is. After being in one stance for a period of time, I'm compelled to switch to the other.

I'm mixed handed - meaning that I have to write with my left hand, other things that are normally hand dominant such as throwing a ball, playing guitar, etc., I do with my right. I'm not sure if its anything to do with it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  4. 7heTexanRebel

7heTexanRebel Valid Member

I know the feeling. I assume you're relatively new?

I got over it after a while. For me, it helped to relax and focus on something other than executing perfect technique every time. ;)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  5. belltoller

Yep...had done a bit of TKD with the boys and now I'm taking Muay Thai and boxing for the first time.

6. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Pick one and go with it. I am a natural left hander but I use an orthodox boxing stance. I don't know why other than that just works for me, and I love to throw left hooks. I train at an MMA school that fights and does it well but me I just do it for the work out and having some basic skillz.

7. belltoller

Thats essentially what the approach I'm taking.

Man, the thing with boxing is there is a world packed into a few moves.

8. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I'm right handed and box in orthodox stance for 95% of the time, if I'm on the defensive then sometimes I'll swich stance so my stronger side is forward. My left cross is a bit naff but right lead punches are quite effective.
    Perhaps if you box in orthodox stance you'll naturally have an awesome jab, lead hook and lead uppercut!
    Best of luck, whatever you go for :)
    Cheers, Harry

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

@ Belltoller,

If you are writing left handed then my gut take would be that you are a southpaw and you will do your gross motor movements right handed but your find motor skill movements left handed. Not always... but generally.

Being a southpaw can be an advantage and a disadvantage. Advantage in the respect that there are far fewer true southpaws out there... so most guys don't have much idea how to go about them and which side of the line they need to be stepping off of etc.

The downside is that unless you have a very experienced southpaw coach... you're not going to pick up much of what really works for you as a southpaw beyond the basics.

I immediately find suspect anyone who states they're ambidextrous. 99% of the time I've seen anyone who said hit the bags/pads or other person... they did have a dominant side and they generally had no clue how to fight effectively as a switch stance fighter. So try not to buy into that whole 'I'm ambidextrous therefore dangerous in both hands' stuff... it's pretty rare in the world of boxing.

Pick a stance and stick to it. How long have you been training. It takes thousands of hours to start rewriting your movement patterns to the point where you can effectively string together multiple punch combinations - and by that I mean more than the 1-2-3 combo. Combinations and good footwork go hand in hand... as if you are not stepping during a good multi-punch combo you are about to countered all to hell. So there is a crap ton of stuff to learn. Boxing is like that... but totally enjoyable as well. :)

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I used to do that! I could pick either stance and be alright with it. I'm trying to use both in sparring though, because I want to be able to switch. :D

11. slipthejab

You're working against 20 years of programming. Why bother. If it was me I'd spend my time on getting a solid set of basics instead of trying to be a switch stance fighter.

12. Pretty In Pink

Well when I started I was just comfortable in both. It doesn't bother me, we're encouraged to do it in Kali classes.

I didn't pick one until my boxing instructor gt annoyed because I kept doing it while he had the pads. He wus like "Right, which hand do you write with?" "My right hand" "Okay, put your left foot forward and stick with that stance.

13. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I'd tend to agree with Slip, even though as a Kali guy I do train out of both leads, because of limited training time it makes much more sense to pick one lead and develop it. Something perhaps controversial though... both Slip and I have trained actual MT and Boxing in actual MT and Boxing gyms (him far more than I). Many Kali/Escrima/Arnis clubs have the odd good Boxer, but most haven't trained 'Boxing' and would get destroyed in a ring with a mediocre club level Boxer.

Boxing coaches know how to coach Boxing, let them do their job.

AND, yes there is the idea of developing both sides at the same time equally, that is a slow and time consuming route unless you have all your time to commit to it. It makes much more sense to develop all of your tools in one structure and then look to other structures.

AND..... As Slip said there are also lots of coaches out there who don't understand the problems of unmatched leads, strategy and combinations change drastically. Liver/body shots? [If you don't know what I'm taking about here and you're a Southpaw, you have a major problem!]

14. slipthejab

One key thing to try is this... wake up in the morning try brushing your teeth with you non-dominant hand. You'll soon find out just how one sided most people are you including yourself. Now that's a relatively harmless drill (though the risk of loosing an eye the first few times is present!)... then up it a notch and do it when running on a deadline for a meeting at work in the morning... the stress makes it much harder... now imagine trying to accomplish that other handedness when the result is a flush shot to the nose or chin instead of a bit of toothpaste on your face. :D

15. Pretty In Pink

Swear to God I've done this before, I read in Mens Health that it improves willpower by 13% haha! (They tried it on US Army cadets).

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think there is a difference in the FMA Arts in that there are many strikes across the body. Right to left and left to right. This to some degree does create a crossover in the left brain/right brain dominance.
    There is also the fact that if you are holding your weapon in one hand, it is more often than not that you will disarm with the other.
    It is no good grabbing his/her weapon with your left hand if you are not used to striking left handed.

In boxing, TKD, Karate etc, I would stick to leading with one side.

17. Pretty In Pink

Well I'm sticking to one side just now(I'm a righty btw), I still like to switch it up though, I'm in no rush! :)

I also want t point out that I'm left footed (football and kicking), so I feel that might be why I'm a bit easier n both sides ^^

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

When I started boxing I always trained orthodox until my coach started working me on both sides. Initially it was quite awkward, but when I boxed and during my time in MA I think it's a good advantage to be able to fight from both leads. Granted, fighting orthodox for me is always going to be my strongest, but I feel I can dish out some damage fighting as a southpaw too. It can really mess with your opponent's head if you can change sides at will. Granted it takes a lot of practice though.

In your case, I'd say pick a dominant side but don't neglect the other entirely. It's always nice to have an ace up your sleeve.

19. Pretty In Pink

I use my dominant side most of the time, I go southpaw in sparring sometimes, depending on who I'm with. I practice on my bag too :)

20. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I was ambidextrous until the school system forced me to choose ONE hand to write with. Now I'm right hand dominant but I can still do fairly well with my left.
    I like fighting both sides. Like kuma said you can really mess someone up that way and if they have a hard time dealing with a southpaw I'll fight right forward.
    The other advantage is you generally have an easier time dealing with the leftys.