Omi-poll #3: Injuries

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Omicron, Jan 21, 2013.

?

What kind if injury/injuries have you sustained from your training?

1. I have never sustained an injury in my martial arts training

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I have sustained minor scrapes and bruises

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. I have sustained an injury that took up to a week to heal

14 vote(s)
    29.8%
  4. I have sustained an injury that took up to a month to heal

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  5. I have sustained an injury that took more than a month

33 vote(s)
    70.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Pulled some muscles in my lower back, I never rested up so the took forever to heal.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If you've never sustained an injury in your martial arts training I'd hesitate to call what you do "martial arts training" to be honest.
    I bet even Kyudo guys get the odd finger blister or pulled muscle when they start out.

3. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

I have dislocated my thumbs a couple of time, and I have broken my nose. But thats pretty much it... For now.

4. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

Two AC separations, one on each side, from Judo. Broken metatarsal, taekwondo - kicked an elbow. Hyperextended ankle - kicked a knee wrong. Two groin strains - taekwondo.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Nothing serious from trauma, but pulls/sprains/strains/tweaked joints are another matter altogether. See the sig.

6. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Most of the black belts in our school have jacked up knees. It's odd that it happens to most of us. We have different specialties in the school, some compete, some demonstrate, some teach, some do all of them, but a consistent problem is our knees. We don't know where it comes from, we just know it happened.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I would consider that a problem.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Exactly! Find out what is causing it and fix it! Training that results in the same injury to everyone is bad training!

Mitch

9. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

A couple of broken fingers, I took an elbow to the instep of my right foot that made the foot blow up like a balloon for 2 weeks, had someone land ontop of me in Jujutsu, and did some sort of mischief to my hip which still isn't 100% after several years.

How do people live without this lifestyle?? :D

10. GoldShifter

My best guess is that when we do throws and takedowns, and rolls, some land wrong. Or possibly during sparring, I've had my fair share of accidental knee to knee, knee to shin, knee to foot. I usually can't bring my hand down fast enough to block a leg kick, so I lift up my leg to help defend a certain spot. It isn't a huge problem to the point where I can't walk without having knee pain but sometimes we do a certain position/stance and it hurts a little, where it normally wouldn't. Maybe also because as black belts, we have a huge amount of friendly competition with each other during class. Such as when we do suicides, we try to move as fast as possible. We try to fake out each other, pump fakes, so our joints might possibly not move in the way they were meant to. When I said most, (I should have clarified) I meant, most of the old generation of black belts. Yes, I'm only 16 but I've had a black belt for a good while now, and our BB testings were intense, such that, our arms were too tired to defend, or moved to slow to protect ourselves, so we had to use our legs to defend against body and leg kicks. Such as lifting our leg bent to stomach level to defend against a kick. The rules are a lot more loose than it is in regular class during a BB test, so leg kicks were allowed.

For trickers in particular, when I learn my first tricks (usually teaching ourselves), such as a 540, I didn't like the idea of landing and bending my knees, I tried to land upright, (I was around 13 when I first landed a 540), and as I was looking at some videos on youtube of 540 tutorials recently, just for the heck of it, they all said that when you land, bend your knees as you make impact with the ground so the impact is more spread out. I learned how to 540 on my own time so I didn't have these at my disposal. I watched somebody do a 540, asked them what it was, they said, "It's an audobon (tornado kick) where you land on your kicking leg.", then went on my merry way and tried to attempt it. I had a nice audobon already, got nice air, so it never occurred to me to look at tutorials. And thus my knees took the full impact, I didn't keep my leg totally straight every time, but I didn't bend them as much as I should have to spread out the impact more. Also when we do jump front kicks, or other kicks that get a good amount of hang time, sometimes we can't land properly, and we land with one foot down and end up "taking a knee" when we land. Haha.

Maybe it is also from us running on concrete. The majority of us prefer to run on concrete. This isn't part of training at the school, this is us having some outside training aside from our classes. We're a tight knit group, so we like to hang out and sometimes just go running, do sprints. I've heard that running on concrete often is not the best thing for your knees because the ground doesn't absorb the impact like grass or sand would.

tl;dr It is probably from during our BB testing to defend against kicks to the stomach, or from leg kicks. And from pushing ourselves hard because of friendly competition during class. And maybe from accidental sparring collisions.

Me personally, and some demo team members that can 540, probably from landing improperly. Also from jump kicks that get hang time, and "taking a knee" when we land. This happens very few times and happens more often to demo team members than to others when it does happen.

Running on concrete.

Wow I typed a lot.

EDIT: Another reason could be that, in our grabbing defenses, punching defenses, (its not like we have to follow them and use them in a street confrontation, its more to teach the mechanics, and what to do when a person is in X location, when you have them in Y position, more of just showing possibilities) some involve knee "breaks", in a street scenario, the knee is actually broken, but in a classroom scenario, we usually push slowly until they tap. We do this not because we want to hurt each other's knees but because we need to know where to place our hand or our own knee (if we are using it as the fulcrum for the break). If we strike the knee while in control, we don't hit it at all, because, we hit the knee with a palm strike, or punch, or bottom fist, we know where to hit. But in the case that we need to do a break, which is using a part of your body instead of a strike, we do it like one would do an arm bar. A little pressure, increasing until they tap out. (Others might just be overflowing in testosterone, or would like to know a little bit more about themselves might tap out later than others.) I know old school, like really old school testings (way before my time), where they cross trained with other affiliated schools, there was a large grappling portion within it. It was an unspoken rule, among candidates (they came up with it themselves), that they would try their hardest not to tap out, within the bounds of reason (they wouldn't wait for it to break, they would tap when they knew they should be). To be clear, tapping out was allowed and encouraged, but it was more of a pride issue with the candidates back then, who would wait to tap out and try to survive the round. The proctors/black belts in the testing would not aim the break the arm, leg, shoulder, they would go to a certain point and just hold it there until they tapped. It wasn't their fault that some of the older breed have not the best joints, it was more the candidates problems because they wouldn't tap out. The proctors knew how far to push a joint to break it, which is why they were proctors, because they knew the limit, since they've been doing it for so long, and they held the lock about halfway to breaking. It would cause a good amount of pain, but it wouldn't break.

EDIT 2: Another reason probably would be because our main stretch that we usually do is the splits. Using some of the things on this website ... http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1074732777#post1074732777 <--- explains how the splits can be damaging for your knee joints. When we have to get stretched quickly or don't have the time to go into a full stretch, ie: Getting to class late and trying to get into the workout. The splits are our go to stretch.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  11. GoldShifter

Sorry for double post but this is about a different topic than what I was posting,

I find it amusing that nobody checked the top box, where they never injured themselves.

12. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

Considering that the people who visit a site like this are likely to be more dedicated/harder training than the average person and I think getting some injuries are always going to happen when seriously training a martial art, I'm not surprised at all.

I've broken a couple toes, sprained several fingers (sparring), sprained wrist (free randori), torn hamstring (didn't warm up enough), separated shoulder (poor fall), various bruises and split shins during early TKD sparring.

13. Quercus

Quercus New Member

The poll is going to skew negative. It is in the injury subforum. I clicked on it-- but I've got some bruised ribs to rest up.

MA practitioners who are not currently or recently injured are less likely to click on it....

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Injuries have retired me from the martial arts. Broken toes, fingers, strains, sprains, etc I can all deal with but the knee injuries I've never been able to overcome.

15. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Scraped up my toe on the velcro on a tatami (carelessly left exposed by whomever got it out). Maneuvered my big toe improperly and got a BIG bruise on my big toe. Took an Ogoshi from a somewhat clumsy partner who missed the tatami by a few inches and banged my head on the floor. Popped my shoulder out twice sparring with a buddy. (it pops right back in after that and is sore for a few hours...been like that for years. I've found ways to prevent it now, though. ) Nothing major yet. I weight train to build up resistance against injury as best as possible and I'm double jointed. :D

16. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

:O What arts did you practice that injured you so badly? Sorry to hear about that. :( I went into a mild depression when I had to stop all exercise for a few months after surgery. It must be quite bad for you. ~hugs~

17. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

TKD mostly, and yes it was very depressing to stop working out and teaching. The spin kicks were what did me in.....