Omi-poll #3: Injuries

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Omicron, Jan 21, 2013.

?

What kind if injury/injuries have you sustained from your training?

1. I have never sustained an injury in my martial arts training

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I have sustained minor scrapes and bruises

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. I have sustained an injury that took up to a week to heal

14 vote(s)
    29.8%
  4. I have sustained an injury that took up to a month to heal

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  5. I have sustained an injury that took more than a month

33 vote(s)
    70.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Omicron

Omicron is around.

One thing that all martial arts have in common, at least to some degree, is an exploration of physical combat. Whether you're a recreational tai chi enthusiast or a competitive MMA fighter, the potential for training-related injuries is a reality that we all have to face. So, MAPers, let's hear your war stories. What kind of injuries have you sustained in your pursuit of martial excellence?

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Does a bruised ego count? :)

A few cracked ribs, broken nose, separated shoulder, usual strains/bruises, nothing too spectacular.

3. Omicron

Omicron is around.

As a BJJ practitioner, injuries are somewhat more common for me than I'd like. I was once wrestling with a fellow who was ~330lbs and ended up with a bruised rib when he quite forcefully rolled me off of his back. I also broke my nose doing a BJJ seminar at a judo club; I was mounted on a fellow and he tried to sit up quite quickly and unexpectedly, giving my nose a nice introduction to his forehead. That was a fun one: blood everywhere, gasps from onlookers, etc. The inspiration for this thread comes from my current predicament: I'm currently nursing a sprained knee. This one is more of a run-of-the-mill injury with no flashy story behind it, but it's proven to be a persistent problem that's kept me out of training much longer than I'd initially hoped...

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

minor tendon damage in my shoulder, Tore all the cartilage in one ankle and have some other bruise type injury in my other one that's taking a few months to sort itself out. Plus all the usual bruises and scratches with the odd hyperextended arm

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Cracked ribs, broken fingers, broken toes, tendonitis that took aaaaages to get better. Out of all of them, the tendonitis was worst as there was no indication if or when it would ever get better. Luckily it did.

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Mine various injuries are well documented
    :)
    Ripped knee ligaments
    Cracked thumb bone
    Various cuts, bruises, sprains in all my joints.

I even ended up with a bruised bum cheek. Round kick went too high (or low depending on your view)

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I've been relatively lucky in that I've only had one semi-serious injury from the eleven years I've been in MA, and that was a suspected C6/7 fracture last year from a dodgy aikido roll that turned out to be just soft tissue damage but still kept me out for three months.

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Got my shoulder torqued, broke a few fingers and toes, sprained pretty much everything. Martial arts suck man.

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I was doing a demonstration with one of Master Sken's students. He was doing knees to the ribs and even though I was holding thai pads I got injured.

I never went to the quack, but I'm convinced I had broken ribs.

Luck for me he emigrated.

10. Vitty

Vitty Valued Member

Fractured my arm in karate and fractured my big toe in kung fu, plus all the normal bruising that goes with training.

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

The worst injury I have acquired from MAs was a severely sprained ankle, which still isn't 100%. I ended up out of training for a couple of months, then training with a boot on, to offer support, for several months before moving into strapping. I still wear the strapping for MA practice now, several years after the injury.

I think I subluxed my big toe at one point and it occasionally gives me grief. Aside from that I've had the odd black eye, lots of bruises and scraps, a number of light sprains (elbow, wrist and fingers). There have been a few occasions when I've aggravated non-MA injuries training when I shouldn't have (back and shoulder).

12. Vitty

Vitty Valued Member

I assume it would've been interesting doing training with the boot on? I had a high grade partial tear of the ligament in my ankle and had to wear an air boot for a little while and that made things interesting so I assume a larger boot would've been harder?

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I just trained with a pair of caterpillar boots (and lots of ankle strapping underneath) and was really careful not to step on people's toes or kick too hard. It was interesting from the point of view that it affected the way I moved because of the extra weight on my feet.

14. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Tore the meniscus (cartilage) in my right knee back in the days I did Taekwon-do, I had to get it removed. It took me about two years to fully recover from that.

15. Omicron

Omicron is around.

All of these injury stories are giving me the heebie jeebies! I kind of regret starting the thread now, because I'm getting too paranoid to get back to training!

16. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Hands busted up a couple of times when slammed with rattan during eskrima training. Neck brace worn for 6 weeks due to being locked in the throw and not being able to turn out and roll with it.. Came down on shoulders and back of neck.

17. Omicron

Omicron is around.

I'm slightly surprised at the results of this poll so far. Not a single respondent has remained unscathed throughout their training career. Most surprising though is that serious injuries seem to be more common than minor ones...

18. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Its a part of life.

Sure, I've had plenty of bumps, bruises and cuts. But I had to be honest and list the worst that I've experienced. If you train smart, you'll reduce the amount of potential injuries you could end up with. In my case, what happened was that I wasn't given enough time from my trainer to warm up and stretch my muscles and joints before practicing flying kicks. I ended up landed too heavy on my right foot and the cartilage, as well as the hamstring tore. I thought at first I was experiencing a bad case of cramping. My trainer at the time (who has qualifications in first aid), failed to identify what happened. In all honesty, I should of been taken to the hospital.
    Soon after that I came to learn that big girls weren't meant to fly. So I've ended up doing Boxing instead.

19. killer_pigeon

killer_pigeon New Member

Yeah, accidents happen and although some are avoidable/preventable, you can never eliminate all risks.

I've recently sustained a fractured eye-socket with muscle entrapment (which required minor surgery) and an ensuing partial PVD (posterior vitreous detachment) through a freak accident in BJJ training. That's my first serious injury in martial arts but of course I've had the odd scrape and bruise too.

I've had plenty of minor injuries in other sports (contact and non-contact), including 'interior knee syndrome' (cross-country), acute Achilles tendonitis (camogie), bone bruises (camogie and GAA handball), subluxated shoulder (handball), a trapped nerve (handball) and various muscle strains (handball), but this is by far the most serious.

20. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

I've broken fingers and toes, and had mat burns. nothing major major, although the 2 broken fingers did take ages to heal, probably because I was still training while they were healing =p