Olympic karate comes a step closer

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Moosey, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Hey mooster, I didn't mean to sound like karate and TKD were similar, their not. What I meant was that I think two MA sports in the olympics is too many and one would have to go for karate to be admitted. I think judo is too ensconced to be removed so that would leave TKD.

Bye the way,

Who is the most famous Alaskan cartoon character?

Mickey Moose!

2. MaS_OyaMa

MaS_OyaMa New Member

I have seen competitions with Full-Contact Karate, and although they were punching extremely hard- they had HORRIBLE form... and then I've seen light-contact kumite, where they HAVE to have good form in order for the judge to call it a point.

So I believe that both types of sparring is necessary to develop oneself..

I, too, study in Karate- and always will-- But we shouldn't be so simple minded when it comes to sparring. Sparring is a great exercise, and it's fun.... But you can USE both light-contact and full-contact to better your sparring skills as well.

What's the use in throwing all these full-contact techniques if they aren't thrown properly?

Just my 2 cents...thanks.

3. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Some TKD bashing in this thread I see....

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Yes, but did we really need you to point that out? :rolleyes:

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I think we do.

Because it's unfair that TKD gets bashed so much.

Yes the Olympic TKD isn't great by any means, but not all TKD is like that. The TKD at the school I go to, isn't like that.

So I was pointing it out.

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

We're not bashing TKD the style, we're bashing TKD the Olympic event. There is a world of difference. Just like Olympic boxing bears little relation to a real fight, Olympic Judo bears little relation to a real fight, Olympic Wrestling bears little relation to a real fight, and Olympic WuShu will bear little relation to any real Kung Fu.

There, now I've insulted every Olympic MA for what they've done or will do, are you quite satisfied that we're only bashing the Olympic versions of said sports?

7. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

That's better thanks.

Anyway some people do like olympic TKD.

And it is full contact. KOs permitted.

8. MaS_OyaMa

MaS_OyaMa New Member

I've seen some TKD competitions... and I must say... I am quite dissapointed with the way they always have their hands down. I know it's part of the way they spar-- I've been filled in on this...

But I spar through USANKF rules in Karatedo, and if you don't have your hands up- you WILL get popped one good time, which will ultimately remind you... :)

That's one reason why I really don't prefer TKD... cause of the "hand" issue....
    But I DO like their footwork in sparring... it's quite nice- and I've often tried to cross train in it with a friend of mine who takes TKD. :)

9. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

i wanna know why everyone hates points karate, just besause it's light to medium contact. i meen i love med contact in the akf(not good enough technique for light not strong enough for full)

ikken "windmill punchs" sounds like somehthing a "serious karate-ka"would do

Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

please try and make sense with your posts samuri.

11. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

just read the second last post that you posted and you'll understand

12. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

no... your writing just doesnt make any sense. this-

you are pretty much saying that you like medium contact because the technique needed is sub par and theres no power (I think, like I said your writing is kinda bad) and then also saying windmill punches sound like something a serious karateka would do- which they are not. if your definition of a good karateka is someone who windmills you need to watch some decent kyokushin fighters

13. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Hes right, and it aggitates the hell out of me that they do that to all the MAs in the olympics. but no worries. I bet olympic MMA isn't too far down the road.

14. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

look i like medium contact because it's technique isn't perfect but it's good compared to uum your karate (becuase you don't do it) and they go as hard as they can but aren't physicly strong enough to do good in FC

and my coment about a serious karate-ka is about your kyokushin thing that you have

and if you love kyokushin so much just go and join a club (li think like i said your ideals are kind of bad)

if there isn't a club close to you then thing here i feel when you say crap like that.

to get even remotely close to a kyokushin dojo i have to travel half way across the country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

how long have you done karate? because I did it for 2 years... and I fail to see what my skill level at karate has to do with anything. I get what you are saying here I just dont understand why you think its a good thing that these people have crap technique and no power.

was this supposed to make sense?

I respect kyokushin because it is one of the few karate styles that still consistently produces hard as nails fighters while still maintaining their traditional values. Doesnt mean I want to practice it more than muay thai though.

"thing here i feel" is not english.

16. Shuri

Shuri Valued Member

People usually dont like light-medium contact Karate because they feel it doesnt realistically prepare the practicioner for a fight.

The aim is a sport competition to improve accuracy, distance, speed, confidence, and strategy. Light contact accomplishes this. If you want to take those skills and then prepare yourself for the shock (mentally and physically) of taking blows and delivering them in a real fight full contact would be best.

Light contact is only a training tool. Similar to Kata. Its not the only thing we do. I hope that other Dojo's dont just train for light contact, but unfortunately ive seen some that does.

I dont know what you've been watching. In our divisions if you dont have perfect technique the point isnt scored. Its light contact true, but the technique must be excellent for a point score. Otherwise you might as well go full contact.

17. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  18. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

the hell has contact level got to do with technique. you quite clearly stated you like semi contact cos you can get away with having poor technique.

19. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

I've got nothing against points karate as a training technique to be used along side everything else we do. What I personally dislike is when it is considered to be all of what karate is. For me that really cheapens it. Perhaps I'm just a snob I dunno.

20. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

your not a snob. in the olympics they make things that other wise wouldn't be into a sport thats all they're doing perhaps i see it differently to you or lkken