Olympic Boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by binski20, Aug 15, 2004.

1. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

Anyone been watching it? I have been, I love it. There is alot of action. You can't take your time and play out a 12 round fight. These guys have 4 rounds to accumulate points, and while they are fighting they don't know how many they have so they have to keep up the intensity.

2. Sobukwe-Biko

Sobukwe-Biko New Member

I've been watching, but I've seen too many UFC's, Prides, and K-1's and Olympic boxing seems too watered down, way too many rules.

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

dont like it, too much like tkd but with hands instead of feet. It says in the rules that points are only counted for good contact but I saw plenty of crappy punches that still scored. the ref stops it whenever it gets exciting, rounds are too short, and rules are too lame.

4. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

To each their own.

5. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

as i said in another thread

I think its boring too and only in the final round we may see some action. Any KO's yet?

6. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

I watched some of it yesterday. It was annoying, the one of the commentators kept saying that the guy was using a jab to find the right distance and set his cross up...but that's the whole point of a jab!

7. kevamania

kevamania Valued Member

Best boxing Ive seen in a while.its not a case of 2 bums slugging going for knock outs and end up hugging half the fight.Its true competition,these guys are fighting for olympic gold.Its always amazing to watch 2 boxers/MAists who really want to win and give it their all.If all pro boxers had half the heart and will to win these guys it would be much better.
    When is the TKD starting?

8. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

I liked some of it and didnt like some of it. Saw a few where the fight was stopped because one boxer had 20 points over the other, are those poor matches or what?

9. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I've been watching the olympic boxing too, but did I hear right? As I understand it the losers of the two semi finals both get bronze medals?? :confused:

10. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Yep two bronze medals for the losing semi finalists

11. notquitedead

I think the two that would get the bronze medals should have to fight for it, so they should only give out one.

12. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

I enjoy it as an art form at it's best. It's about winning the match by using skill in the art of boxing and not slugging. We've been conditioned to expect the KO's of professional boxing where sluggers rule. Here Olympic rules are made to showcase the art. while I still enjoy the KO"s it's refreshing to see a differnt way of boxing.

13. Jame$

Jame$ New Member

I think it's great to see some young, hungry talent. They are proud to fight for their country and put up a good performance.

14. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

I acutally enjoy it as well and they train differently compared to pro boxers

15. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Am I watching the wrong olympics. This is some of the worst boxing I have ever seen. There are better boxers at UK club level. Luckily Amir Khan is showing some class. Some of the +91kg stuff has been awful. Sorry to disagree.

The Bear.

16. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

I agree with you m8. Where there any kos in the olympics or what?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  17. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I totally agree, it seems a shame to train all those years for the Olympics only to have to share a medal with someone else. Maybe if it was synchronised boxing or boxing doubles then I'd understand giving away two bronze medals. :p

18. kenpfrenger

kenpfrenger sportin' a Broughton

Actually I am really enjoying it:) Some pretty slick fighting as well as some not so slick of course. Big gloves and headgear definitely change the game butit's very nice to get off of work everynight and settle in for some boxing entertainment. They have been showing the fights here int he US at 5 PM with Bob Pappa and Teddy Atlas doingt he commentary. It is worth watching just to hear Atlas butcher the names of the eastern European fighters!

19. notquitedead

I think the commentators are annoying...they repeat themselves way to much. "He keeps breaking the 'rules' by leaning back instead of moving his legs back. He's breaking the rules, but it's working for him. He knows how to break the rules and make it work. He leans back when they punch to get them to come in, then he counters. He keeps leaning back. Look at him lean back." etc., sometimes I turn the volume all the way down when I'm watching it. :p

The actual boxing is fun to watch, though.

20. notquitedead

I watched some more earlier, did anyone see that guy from Thailand? I think his name was Manus Boonjumnong or something like that :confused: He beat Willy Blain from France, but he was amazing.

Then some guy from the US lost. I don't think it was a fair match, though. The guy from the US had a knee brace from injuring his knee recently and got punched in the groin twice that I saw (they showed replays and you could clearly see the bulgarian guy hitting the US guy in the groin, but the ref only called one of them).