old skool lau gar

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by quanto, Aug 29, 2008.

1. quanto

quanto Valued Member

Anyone still train under the old skool lau gar teachers/fighters eg Stan Brown,Curtis Page,Alex barrowmen,Chris Boughey, Neville Wray and any others and has much changed?

2. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

I used to train with Kevin Brewerton - that old skool enough for you?

As for what's changed, it depends who you talk to. If you ask the BKFA, nothing. If you ask me, alot.

3. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

Tart loves the BKFA.

LOVES them. :D

4. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

I just call it like I see it.
    I will get to BKFA club again soon, I promise!

5. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

I used to train with Chris Boughey and there were a few minor (very minor) differences but nothing worth commenting on. Maybe it wasn't long enough ago. I think it was around '99 or '00.

6. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

Ah, don't be coy now ;)

If they ever set up shop somewhere even remotely near me then I might try them myself :)

7. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

TBF that is essentially true. I think any layman can watch video's of any lau gar club and still identify them as the same thing.
    It's the teaching methodology that's changed I think, and some of the focus.

8. ndabaningi

ndabaningi Valued Member

Old School Lau Gar

What about Steve Babbs, George Shore, Alvin Mighty, Frank Marius, I think he had a partner called Yvonne, Llewellyn ?, Mark Aston, Frank Lynch, Steve Faulkner, Bernard Chong, Robert Tin, was there a Ken Hoult. I think he and Bernard used to run the old Hornet Martial Arts in Birmingham together. Vince Lewis; would love to know what he is doing now. Clive Parkinson.

9. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Steve Faulkner is part of WUMA now, he was at a tournament the other year judging the forms section.

10. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Vincent Lewis is still teaching in brum.

11. Freud > God

Freud > God Valued Member

Vincent Lewis teaches down newton over here i think

12. quanto

quanto Valued Member

Is it just coincidence or were these people just good athletes before starting lau gar even though some are no longer with the BKFA they are still great martial artist within their own right.
    Did Master Yau have something different from the rest in the early days to have all these guys shining the light for lau gar?
    Whatever happened to david Baptiste great fighter of the past?

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

How many left the BKFA out of those that have been mentioned?

14. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Last i heard Dave Baptiste was still running some clubs in scotland. He reffed at some tournaments a few years back and his kid competed.

15. Freud > God

They just trained hard, at the centre in the early 70's people sat in horse stance for half hour a time, that was all they did with a bit of punching. They trained good, but then that became a bit uneconomical and so it changed. Also, Master Yau didn't teach them just the traditional alot of modern training i.e kickboxing was introduced. I think it all came down to the fact they did sport specific training. I think all the styles would have had top athletes fighting for them. I also personally beilieve it is a good style for ring sports, it can be adapted quite well.

16. quanto

quanto Valued Member

Is Bernard Chong still teaching Lau gar in the midlands?

17. quanto

quanto Valued Member

Can someone make a time line when all these people trained eg 70s 80s 90s etc maybe we can get a unofficial lau gar uk family tree going?

18. Freud > God

I think that is a great idea however the chances are it will be quite inaccurate, either way anybody who knows it should do it.

19. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

master yau always talks about steve babbs, he was a fighting machine so he says, built for one thing only!

Also my instructor had a war against dave baptiste years ago in a tournament, its floating about on video somewhere, baptiste goes 1 point a head and spends the rest of the match running around the ref! lol!

20. Switch2

Switch2 Banned Banned

Dave was notorious for that!