Old school knife sharpener, weapons training.

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by CrowZer0, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

Possibly because people didn't know what it was, I had a part of a wakeboard cable line on my keys (a fold of metal wire around an eyelet with a small metal ball on the end - in effect very similar to a smaller version of a kobutan) and regularly get stopped from going into places because of that, I had to take it off my keys in the end even though it was far too small to do any damage =/

2. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Exactly. Kamagong or bahi hardwood sticks are both significantly heavier than the general rattan training sticks.

4. CrowZer0

I have a few, the one on my keyring is acrylic plastic, it's clear and looks like a toy of some sort. The way I see it if people can enter some clubs with a large chain attached to their wallet and belt line, I don't see how a kobutan can be seen as more harmful, I do have others which are metal with a hidden knife inside which I used to carry, I have also gifted these to a couple of friends, and they carry them fine on their keys, one's a secondary school teacher, the other is a paralegal hoping to become a barrister when he passes the bar. They've never had any trouble with theirs either.

5. CrowZer0

It's difficult to stress, how dense and how heavy the metal is on the knife sharpener. I just had it a couple of inches above my forearm and just let it drop, it's quite ouch, I also did the same thing on the edge of my desk, it shook the entire thing, and I wouldn't be surprised if I did it from about 6 inches and just let it drop on my desk (while holding the handle) it would chip or dent it quite easily. With very little force, it can break or chip, broom sticks, snooker sticks, and I'm certain it would smash through a bokken with ease.

Looking at the base it says Mundial Brazil, now googling the company I found this http://www.mundialusa.com/sharpening.html I'm guessing my ones very old, because the closest one to it is the third one down with the wooden handle, and 14 inches, but my handle is smoother and not grooved, my one also has a 3 sided metal pommel, and is aesthetically very pleasing. It's like a heavy metal stick, on a sword handle.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  6. CrowZer0

Alright this one is the closest lookalike I've found this one is 12" steel mine is 14" This one has a circular metallic pommel, the one on mine is like a 3 leaf clover and my handle seems to be of a much better design as it seems easier to hold rather than this one which has a weird shape to it.

[​IMG]

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Yeah the Dojo is in Chelsea.

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

If it's a weapon, it's illegal. If it's a keyring it's legal.

Intent comes into it quite heavily. If you ever get stopped by the police remember that it's not a weapon, it's a keyring and you have no idea that people use them as weapons (or, better yet, just don't carry it - they can still pull you in).

9. CrowZer0

I'm assuming this one? http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/

If so I'm going to check out the website and perhaps PM you if there is no adequate contact info on the page, if that's ok?

10. CrowZer0

That's my reaction if there is any curioisty or if anyone states it's a weapon.

It's a weapon?:confused: Really? It was a gift from my sister, I thought she got it at a funfair?

11. blindside

blindside Valued Member

I don't doubt that the honing steel you have would make an effective bludgeon, but right next to my honing steel in my knife block are several large knives that I would use in a second before I would use the honing steel.

In any case, the Filipino martial arts (escrima, arnis, kali) would be exactly the sort of training you would be looking for.

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Yep.

PM me would probably be best. Steve is in Japan at the moment and I'm not sure how often he's checking MAP or his mail.

13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Yeps that's the stuff...I should really learn these words!!!

Crow - You're doing MMA/MT right? Why don't you go and check out some DBMA fellas? I mean, you're half way there...now you'll just get some advice about using your skillz with a weapon in your hand.

MT kicks and Filipino sticks = Awesomeness!!

14. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Yep, and MT/FMA + freestyle wrestling (or judo) + BJJ = superawesomeness!!

I just need to find a BJJ club near me that offers training at times I am available... Not enough hours in the day I say, maybe I can give up my job... Not quite sure how I would support my MA hobby though, don't think the Mrs would be happy to fund me indefinitely :cry:

15. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Word of warning from a former metalworker.

Sharpening steels are by their very nature tempered to be very hard. Hard often = brittle. If you are going to hit things with it get a smith or someone to strip it down and retemper it to a softer and more tough temper, oil or clay cooled, or even boiled in lead if you know a sixsmith/knifemaker/swordsmith.

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Just seconding (thirding?) the MT + FMA combination. And, yeah, BJJ as well. Though at this point in my life, I'm not convinced I'll ever be much at BJJ (through time and inclination). But that is kinda the dream combination in my view.

17. CrowZer0

How would I go about finding one of those, would be a bit dodgy, hey could you sharpen or boil this in lead for me? :p

18. CrowZer0

I'm very confident on standup, my ground game sucks. My BJJ is laughable. When I went to any MMA classes (not really fond of them). I had an adequate take down defense mainly based on pure strength, but when I'm on my back I suck...

19. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Sak about, you might know someone who works in engineering, a tool makers, a craft smith who does wrought iron gates and fences etc, all you need to do is get it re tempered. It will smash sooner rather than later if you hit things with it. I don't see how it would be dodgy unless you are a shady character [​IMG]