Old school knife sharpener, weapons training.

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by CrowZer0, Dec 12, 2012.

1. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I have very little experience with weapons training, nothing really recent at all, I did some fencing at Uni, but It's not relevant to what I need, also some ceremonial flashy looking stuff with short swords, staffs and a kwando briefly when I did Kung Fu (7 years ago).

Now I'm looking for a similar weapon or some advice in training with an old school knife sharpener which looks very similar to this [​IMG]

From the look of it, my handle is a lot better, a lot more comfortable, it really looks like a sword handle my one, and has a metal pommel of sorts and a wooden handle, mine also seems longer, and by the looks of it is also probably heavier.

I feel much more comfortable fighting without weapons I actually prefer it. But I would like to look into some sort of weapons training, and was wondering for a knife sharpener, should I use it like a short sword, or some sort of short staff?

TL;DR - I feel very comfortable without a weapon, I have a very heavy comfortable feeling knife sharpener (feels like a weapon) and want some training with it (I mess around with it). Was wondering, how should I use it? Like a sword? Or a stick?

2. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

being a blunt weapon I'd lean towards more escrima/tambo style techniques, blunt strikes and various locking techniques would probably work well. and dont forget to use the "roughness" to just file away at your opponent! :3

3. CrowZer0

I was thinking of Escrima, not familiar with tambo, my problem is sticks are a lot lighter than this, this is quite heavy compared to a telescopic baton. It's not hollow, I was thinking, perhaps use it in the same way as a machete, it's actually strong enough to break bones, crack a skull etc with very little power. Police might use a telescopic baton to strike at someones thigh etc, if this was used instead it would be more effective.

I like it, because it feels so comfortable to use. Seems very effective. I was also wondering are there actual weapons like this?

4. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Bludgeoning is bludgeoning. Escriman is your best bet. Maybe some police or security baton course as that would also help with techniques relating to escalation of force.

5. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

[Checks to see if it is April 1st]

Look up naeshi and jutte.

As this is for a knife sharpener (??? why not get something designed to be a weapon) it may be quite brittle though, so beware. Are you sure it can take the punishment.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You may want to look at some jujutsu training to compliment its use, use it as a force multiplier.

Tessen may be adaptable too, at times tessenjutsu can look very similar to kodachi (short sword) usage just a bit tighter and scarier :D

7. CrowZer0

I have a few weapons (I'm a collector of sorts). But I really feel like this is a weapon, and is better designed as a weapon than knife sharpener. I was quite surprised by how tough it is, it's not brittle at all. I've tested it... I like I said mess around a little, me and my brother were larping around like we do, and it broke a broom stick with ease :| When we were reenacting a light sabre fight :eek: It kept knocking the telescopic baton away like it was a flimsy toy.

This is what surprised me, it's quite old, not sure exactly how old, but it's solid, and to me it feels and looks like more of a weapon than a knife sharpener. Since then I have electronic sharpeners so I don't use this (don't think I ever have used it as a sharpener). My uncle gave me one of his chef knife sets when he sold one of his restaurants and it just came with it.

8. CrowZer0

Not familiar at all with Tessen or tessenjutsu, I would ideally prefer something more related to weapons specifics instead of a brand new art (I already take up 3-4 sessions a week on Muay Thai and BJJ sporadically). I'm thinking of cutting down on Thai and perhaps get into something new (I was thinking Kyokushin, JKD (if it suits me) or some form of CQC or RBSD) I feel like I've gotten most of what I can from Thai as I don't plan to compete, and classes just seem like conditioning a lot of which I do at home any way.

9. Dean Winchester

You'd have difficulty I think finding just tessen training, it's usually a subset of skills within a system.

RBSD and good CQB may be better.

I have to say it's an odd request. :D

10. CrowZer0

Lol, I just realized after googling that a Tessen is a Japanese war fan. I have already meddled with Chinese fans when I did Kung Fu.

I know schools like Nam Pai Chuan do teach it. But I'm more interested in my knife sharpener, a perfect bludgeoning weapon :p

11. Dean Winchester

Sometimes it's more like a lump of iron that looks like a closed fan. It was basically a hidden weapon for times when perhaps a blade was not appropriate.

12. Dean Winchester

13. CrowZer0

Oh I have no intention of carrying this with me, I carry a kobutan. Although I've never had to use it, the knife sharpener is for something for the home. In case someone breaks in or something etc. I have other weapons too. But I really like the knife sharpener. Maybe I'm paranoid but a couple of nights ago, I was certain that someone was in the house, I could hear something creaking. It was around 3am. I was checking my house room to room with my knife sharpener making sure all the windows and doors were closed. My gf needless to say thought I was insane and found it hilarious.

14. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Do you know the legal situation of carrying that in the uk?

15. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Escrima/FMA 101: Can you hit using a hammer fist, forehand and backhand. Downward diagonal (like drawing the letter X in the air)? Put the object in your hand, stand at a range where the weapon hits the target and do the same thing.

Points of clarity:
    Escrima/FMA should cover and be applicable ANY weapon, not just lightweight sticks of a set length.
    A "weapon" can be anything that enances your combat effectiveness over and above your empty hand.
    IIRC, in uk law, an "offensive weapon" is any object being carried (or used maybe) with the intent of it being a weapon. Someone who knows more about Law may wish to expand/correct this ;)

Why do you feel you need to carry a kubotan if you feel proficient with your empty hand? How would you use the kubotan?

Good luck and train safely.

16. Constant Flux

Constant Flux Valued Member

well since you claimed earlier that you used to study Kung Fu why not try a chinese sword breaker? it looks similar and has a blunt point like your knife sharpener, has some weight to it and they come in different sizes. I think Cold Steel sells one although it might be too long for what you're looking for.

17. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

There's different types of sticks as well, not just the light ones...you have your basic rattan and then some harder materials for actually fighting with. Could be worth doing escrima and then getting one of those sticks and leave it around some place handy.

The ''good" thing about FMA is there's usually a few lunatics in the club that like to play with improvised weapons and that. So you might get some advice and suggestions from them, but as TNB said whatever you do with one weapon, you do with another...well, to some degree.

18. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

What do you mean "lunatic"? ALL WEAPONS ARE IMPROVISED!!!
    Ahem.
    One of my favourite "unconventional" weapon combinations is umbrella and briefcase - the suited gentleman's stick and shield :D

19. CrowZer0

Not sure really, IIRC it's legal, or it was advertised as such. I have it on my keyring, and get into clubs fine with it after a search etc.

20. CrowZer0

It's something I have carried since I was a teen, it's just a habit now, something on my keyring and always there. I've never used it in a fight it's a "just in case" weapon. I could if needed use it as a handle and hit someone with the keys, I could also just hold it in my fist and strike with the points (it's quite painful) to use it in that manner. If I was in a situation where I would feel it's time to get away, out comes kobutan, smack with keys, run. Or if I'm outnumbered, in a no way out situation, I would use it as part of my fists.

I used to when I was a kid carry Knuckle Dusters, mainly because they look menacing. But had one confiscated in school, many years ago, so now I only bother with it, if I got into some trouble and think I might need something.