Old guy training

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Xue Sheng, Jul 17, 2017.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Ouch, those old Laserjet printers, you need 2 powerlifters to get them shifted.

I recall hurting my wrists moving them around 18 years ago.

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

May 16, 2018

Treadmill, 15 minutes started at 3.3mph. ended with 3.8mph

May 17, 2018

Morning

Yang Long Form

Evening

Samanta Yoga

I think I am going to add to the Samanta Yoga routine and then combine it with a short morning routine I know, should be a nice routine for when I travel

3. Xue Sheng

That is what I thought too. That is why after I moved the old one, I did not expect the newer, smaller, one to be heavier, and that is what messed up the elbow joint.

But I've been taking it easy on it and it is recovering pretty quickly. Should be good to go by Monday.... as long as I can avoid lifting heavy objects for a few more days

axelb likes this.
  4. Xue Sheng

I could be wrong...but I think I might actually be training again...I just started and let it go and see where it all took me....

I also purposely did not post about it....did not want to have anything written down to follow, just wanted to see where it went

It started small when I went back to the early morning sessions with Gilad's Express fitness 6 mornings a week
    Then put the Total Gym back 3 mornings a week
    • Lat Pull – Palms back - 10 to 15
    • Rows – Palms down - 10 to 15
    • Lat Pulls – Palms forward - 10 to 15
    • Rows – Thumbs up - 10 to 15
    • Lat Pulls – Alternating palms 10 to 15
    • Rows – Cross Cable - 10 to 15
    I then started adding in the treadmill back 2 days a week for 20 minutes. Starting at 3mph and ending with a 4mph walk. (I'm not supposed to run anymore per my MD)
    I then added a dumbbell routine back, nothing overly strenuous, but its a start, 3 days a week
    • One-Arm Row----------------------------- 3 Sets x 10 Reps
    • Flat-Bench Press---------------------------3 Sets x 10 Reps
    • Seated Overhead Press--------------------3 Sets x 10 Reps
    • Shoulder Shrug-----------------------------3 Sets x 10 Reps
    • Seated 1-Arm Overhead Extension-------3 Sets x 10 Reps
    • Alternating Curls---------------------------3 Sets x 10 Reps
    • Dumbbell Wrist Curls---------------------3 Sets x 10 Reps
    • Bruce Lee Wrist Twists--------------------3 Sets x 10 Rep
    Just added this, 3 days a week (well that's the plan anyway, just added it 2 days ago), found it on Youtube, however I am working my way to get to 1 set of 1o reps of this at the moment.

And I am doing my traditional Yang forms and the Beijing 24 form, trying to get those everyday

There is a yoga routine as well, but I do not do it much, all I see it for these days, is if I travel and need to do some type of workout in the rom

axelb likes this.
  5. Xue Sheng

I may have found a guan to train in...

More later

axelb likes this.
  6. Xue Sheng

Going to try 2 new classes tonight....a new form of Taijiquan and another class that is all about SD....more soon

axelb likes this.
  7. Xue Sheng

Found a push hands group that is pretty darn good and I will be training with then on Saturday Mornings and I found a Combatives class that trains Wednesdays.... and it was awesome.

axelb likes this.
  8. Xue Sheng

Being old, stubborn and really wanting to get back into MA training I found a class that is JKD. But it is a different side of the JKD fence than I previously trained on. First let me say I really am not concerned about labels, or categories or sides of the fence but for reasons of clarification, to the JKD folks, what I briefly trained in before would be "original JKD (from Jerry Poteet). And I enjoyed it immensely, but I labeled it getting hit in the head lessons...because there was a lot of hitting each other in the head...mixed with foot work.

I decided to stop due to a diagnosis of a thinning retina in my only good eye that, if it detached, could end my career. I really liked JKD and I wanted to continue but I had to be careful with the eye.

I discovered this "Combatives course" at a guan I started going to so I could get some push hands in. And being old stubborn and really missing harder training, I decided to check it out...and it was awesome. It is JKD, but it is on the concepts side (From Dan Inosanto) and what we did last night was great. A lot of drills based off a root move and a few takedowns.

Still have to be careful with the eye, but so far, I am not getting hit in the head nearly as much.

I do feel a bit guilty about not going back to my last JKD teacher, but my schedule no longer fits his and I simply cannot take the chance of getting h it so often in drills. Don't get me wrong, they are great drills and without the thinning retina diagnosis I would have stayed, but I had to leave.

I have only had one class of the "Combatives" but I will be going back next week. Have worked on the drills several times already today. Whenever I find myself alone in a room I train..... I'm a happy old martial arts dinosaur today

axelb likes this.
  9. Xue Sheng

Push hands this morning.... I let my ego get the better of me..... I am not proud of that....could have learned a lot.....don't really think I upset anyone but myself......which is a good thing......need to listen to Buddhist and go with a beginners mind

Think I'll go do some Yoga...and then some taiji later

10. Xue Sheng

Sunday, July 15, 2018

40 minutes of aerobics with very light weights and very high reps
    5 minutes of JKD foot work training

axelb likes this.
  11. Xue Sheng

Monday, July 15, 2018

Morning

Total Gym
    JKD Striking drills from last class

Evening

Yang Long form
    Chen Silk Reeling
    Xingyiquan, Piquan, at taijiquan speed

axelb likes this.
  12. Xue Sheng

Tuesday July 17, 2018

Morning, over slept this morning

150 crunches

Evening

Dumbbell work, upper body
    Sun Taijiquan
    Qigong, based on Sun Taijiquan
    Santi Shi
    Zhan Zhuang

axelb likes this.
  13. Xue Sheng

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Morning

150 Crunches
    Zhan Zhuang
    Santi Shi
    Wuji
    Sun Taijiquan
    Sun Taiji based qigong

Lunchtime

2 mile walk

Evening

JKD Class, foot work and lead strikes

axelb likes this.
  14. Xue Sheng

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Sore.....

Morning
    150 crunches
    Zhan Zhuang
    Santi Shi
    Sun Taijiquan
    Wuji standing
    Sun based Qigong

Then had to be at my youngest's concert in the evening

15. Xue Sheng

Friday, July 20, 2018

Morning

150 crunches

Then nothing, to busy the rest of the day until 10:00PM

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Morning
    Push hands group

Afternoon
    Mow the lawn

Evening (just finished)
    FINALLY!!!
    JKD Foot work and striking on the heavy bag

axelb likes this.
  16. Xue Sheng

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Morning

JKD Drills
    foot work: shuffle step, pendulum step side to side stepping
    foot work with punching all done with shuffle and pendulum step and with both left and right lead
    straight jab, straight jab with a cross, back fist.

Then I made a mistake after lunch

I never eat junk food, haven't for years. But today, after lunch I saw this bag of Ritz crisp&thins on the table that Mrs Xue had purchased. So I thought I will try a few. Now a long time ago, when I ate junk food, I learned it was best not to eat in in front of the TV because you will eat way to much of it. But Nooooooooooo I grab the bag and go sit in front of the TV. After eating way to much of it I realize my stomach is not at all happy so I quit eating. I was planing on doing some work on my abs and glutes but I decided to hold off. Waited 2 hours, then felt better so I went to my basement gym to work on Abs and Glutes.... did the abs work and then decided to work a bit on the back with a series of Locust poses (from Yoga) I turned over on my stomach, did one and then my stomach decided to hate me. I lost all my energy, laid on my stomach, which I rarely do, and fell asleep. I never sleep on my stomach. Woke up after about 15 minutes, tried a cat cow (from Yoga) and my stomach said nope. I am now in my family room, sitting down, drinking a cup of puerh tea.

Hopefully later I can get some work done on Xingyi, Taiji and silk reeling..... but for now.... back to my tea....and no more junk food....that stuff will kill ya.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    axelb and Travess like this.
  17. Xue Sheng

Sunday, July 22, 2018 - I survived and the stomach calmed down.....after 2 cups of hot tea

Evening

Yang Long form
    Sun Short form

axelb likes this.
  18. Xue Sheng

Monday, July 23, 2018

Morning
    Total Gym
    Zhan Zhuang
    Santi Shi
    Wuji
    Sun Taijiquan
    Xingyiquan Piquan

Evening
    Dumbbell routine
    100 crunches (forgot to do them in the morning)

19. Xue Sheng

Discovering something....I am enjoying the dumbbell routine, and it is not at all heavy and nothing overly strenuous.
    3 sets of 10
    Pulls - 30lbs
    Bench Press - 25lbs
    Seated Military Press - 20lbs
    Shoulder Shrugs - 25lbs
    Triceps - 20 lbs
    Curls - 20 lbs
    Wrist Curls - 15lbs
    Wrist Twists - 10lbs

and every time, the next day, I have muscle spasms in my mid back. But not today, today I have some pain in my low back. And I am very cognizant of proper posture.

Don't have this issue with Yoga or the total gym, only lifting iron, and light iron too

20. Xue Sheng

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Morning
    150 Crunches
    Zhan Zhuang
    Santi Shi
    Sun Taijiquan
    Xingyiquan Zuanquan

Evening
    Work on rooting
    Sun Taijiquan