Old Fashioned Wisdom.

Discussion in 'Karate' started by gojutejutsuryu, Jun 7, 2003.

1. gojutejutsuryu

gojutejutsuryu New Member

After my Shodan Grading (Goju-Kai) in 1965, We were chatting to Khei Sakamoto "Shihan" and he was telling us details of the many bad pub fights he used to get into when he was young. .............After a long pause, he informed us that since he took up karate seriously, he did'nt get into pub fights any more.
    We all of course informed him that it was because of his high rank, reputation as a great fighter and his reputation in his home town............................. After another long pause, he apologised for not agreeing with us, but felt it had a lot to do with the fact that he did'nt go into pubs any more.

MAY THE FORCE ALWAYS BE WITH YOU.

gojutejutsuryu.

2. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Blimey!! You got your shodan 11 years b4 I was born!! What grade are you now?

The best wisdom is often simple! I like my wisdom to be given to me in laymans terms and not have to ponder it for a few days/a life time!
    Sensei is full of wisdom as you described, but I cannot for the life of me think of any to quote. Sorry.

3. gojutejutsuryu

Telsun San,
    Ranks and grades really mean nothing, but I suppose after 42 odd years of training I have been honoured to pick up certain grades for my time spent in what genuinely seems like an endless pursuit after perfection, which as we all known, can never be attained.

7th Dan (Goju-Kai), 6th Dan (Goju-Ryu), 5th Dan (Ju-Jutsu), 3rd Dan (Kobudo), 3rd Dan (Aiki-Jutsu), 3rd Dan (aikido)

MAY THE FORCE ALWAYS BE TRUELY WITH YOU.

gojutejutsuryu.

4. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Woe!!! That was a little more than I was expecting

Okay I hear where your coming from with the grades. I do not put any importance on mine, I have been shodan for 9 years!! But without knowing/ training with you it is all I have to know "where your at". Not that that is possible..........blah, blah blah, I know what I want to say but I cannot put it into words:(

Your history is obviously very varied. May I ask how you obtained grades in several different styles?
    The reason being is that I am going to be training in Jujitsu as well as my goju training. Do you give up each art to study the other intesively and then maybe return to your chosen style with your new found knbowledge? Please enlighten me.

Also another thing about the wisdom bit. The wise often say little that means alot. This always seems to be the way when I meet with those I consider to be wise. Yoda is a prime example of this on the forum. It is very rare that he will write a lengthy post. Unlike my babbling self!!
    ;)

5. gojutejutsuryu

Old Fashioned Wisdom

Telsun,
    I started training in 1961, at the age of 11, under the guidance the an incredible man named Sifu: Hoption. The Sifu: introduce me to "Shihan:" Richard Salmon, who was one of the founders of karate in South Africa, a Goju-Kai stylist and a damn good one at that. (The Sifu: grudgingly admitted that Okinawan Karate had it's merits and felt that I was more suited to this style)
    These were "The Early" day's of karate in South Africa and we often were taught on the dock side by Japanese, or Okinawan, or Chinese sailors off the boats in Durban Harbour.
    It is throught this exposure to such a wide variety of teachers and styles, that I ended up as "A Jack of ALL trades, BUT, a Master of none". I became increasingly addicted to the martial science and many trips to Japan, China and Okinawa only served to feed it.

In reflection, I would not recommend this avenue to anyone, although, it gave me a broader perspective and has helped me bring in a miriad of wierd techniques into my chosen art, that of "Goju-Ryu / Goju-Kai". Techniques that are tried and tested. (I am ashamed to admit / the product of a silly youth)

You have been a Shodan for the past 9 years and in my personal oppinion only, experimentation with another art, that of jujutsu, if studied in the broader perspective and with an open mind, can only enhance your own art.

I wish you all the best.

Chat to you soon.

gojutejutsuryu.

6. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

That is very intersting gojutejutsuryu. You advise:

"I would not recommend this avenue to anyone"

Interesting. In todays martial arts world cross training is advised by most especially on this forum. So do you regard mastering your chosen style to be the path to choose?

In the past I have not put an emphasis on my grade, but my feeling towards this is changing. I think that it is because I lack a material reward for my years of training. Although I realise that my technique speaks for itself. But after all these years, especially when I meet up with old training buddies and they tell me they are 3rd/4th dans etc yet I was senior to them when I trained with them, I feel as though I should be telling them that I am a grade that reflects my ability. This sounds very arrogant, please do not take it to be an arrogant comment. I now feel that holding myself back and changing associations a couple of times has proven to be a waste?
    Any comments on this please?

7. gojutejutsuryu

Oes Telsun,
    BAD TYPO:.............. For."I would not recommend this way for anyone", PLEASE READ,........"for everyone"..SORRY.

As to your 9 years at "shodan" level, I personally (AND I MEAN ABSOLUTELY NO DISRESPECT TO YOUR PRESENT ORGANISATION) feel that this is excessive. Yes, we all need and require recognition for time in grade, work done, levels of accomplishment etc, etc, but I am not privvy to all the circumstances, so I should keep my own council.
    Should you wish to see where YOU SHOULD BE, all things being equal, refer to the "OLD, ORIGINAL, JAPANESE AND OKINAWAN TIME IN GRADE SCHEDULE", which (I think for economic reason) is rarely seen anymore.

17 years old:......... Senior Shodan.
    19 years old:......... Nidan.
    22 years old:......... Sandan.
    26 years old:......... Yondan.
    31 years old:......... Godan.
    37 years old:......... Rokkudan.
    44 years old:......... Shichi-dan. (or) Nana-dan.
    52 years old:......... Hachi-dan.
    61 years old:......... Kudan. (Reserved for the successor to the world head of style, never awarded to anyone else.)
    71 years old:......... Judan. (Reserved for the world head of style ONLY, NEVER AWARDED TO ANYONE ELSE, NEVER)

Hope this help[s.

gojutejutsuryu.

8. gojutejutsuryu

Oes Telsun,
    Sorry, I forgot the "Cross Training" story.

What I was aiming at saying was................... At your stage, cross trainig or experience other martial sciences, can, in my humble oppinion, only benefit your martial ability and overall martial knowledge.

I myself on the other hand, got totally confused due to my addiction for MORE AND MORE knowledge of these ancient sciences.

As a NEW 1st dan, I found myself training (under expert tuition I might add), in Goju-Ryu, Goju-Kai, Tai-Chi Ch'uan, Aikidi, Jujutsu, Tuite-Jutsu, Kalaryipat, Tettsu 'Te Jutsu and Kobudo.

I is no wonder that I was so confused. It is this type of wild pursuiance (sp) of knowledge (without a thorough grounding in one specific martial science) that I DON'T RECOMMEND.

gojutejutsuryu

9. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Yes, I understand. Before going off exploring other arts you should establish a strong foundation in your chosen style. I agree.

I love Goju karate. The Jujitsu is purely to improve my performance within my karate training. The two are surprisingly similar, although I have never done groundwork in Karate. However Sensei does not have time to teach us everything, all of the time and I feel that the Jujitsu would fill in many gaps which would make my Goju style much more like 'Goju'.

Regarding my grade. I was very disappointed to not have been graded to 2nd dan during my last grading. It was commented that I was outstanding within my group. I had only been with the association about 2 years when I took what was revered to as my 'transfer' grade.
    I am respected within the association and have even hosted a gashaku session to a group of 1st and 2nd dans! Much to my surprise.
    Sensei realises that I am 'behind' in my grades and I beieve that he is trying to negotiate something on my behalf. Our association is wrapped in tradition.
    I keep telling myself "It's just a grade!"

What does the responibility of 7th dan consist off?
    If I ever reach such a level I imagine myself running an association, writing books and just generally training and teaching all day.
    I see that on your profile you list your proffesion as school teacher. Does having a 7th dan affect your life?

Please excuse what seems an obsession with grades.

10. gojutejutsuryu

Oes Telsun,

Being a 7th Dan, mmmmmmmh, I have never really given it much thought, appart that is, after the initial euphoria had gone.
    Let me see................
    RESPONSIBILITY: One very soon realises that to hold this grade is one hell-of-an awsome responsibility, especially when you are dealing with the very junior karate-ka in ones own club, within ones own organisation and within the martial arts world as a whole. It is the same as my profession, that of teacher, one soon realises that young children hang on your every word, they emmulate your every action, word and deed. You have to keep on your toes, doing nothing that would bring any disrespect to karate and the martial arts. Yes, we are all of us falible and human and I found that when I do something which is wrong, dubious or not accepted as being totally correct, I tell my students right away, apologise and admit that my judgement was not as it should be.
    SENSEI: This widely used and 99.9% of the time, incorrectly interpreted word, possibly encapsulates what I am trying to say.............................
    Made up of 2 Kanji Ideograms, the 1st being "SEN", which would be correctly interpreted as meaning "BEFORE" and 2ndly, "SEI" which one should interpret as meaning "IN LIFE". Althought the word "SENSEI" is, 99.9% of the time interpreted as meaning "TEACHER", it would be MORE CORRECT to interpret the 2 ideograms, when used in conjunction with each other, as meaning................................................................................
    'ONE WHO HAS GONE BEFORE YOU IN LIFE, KNOWS ALL ITS PITFALLS AND TRAPS AND HAS RETURNED TO GUIDE YOU THROUGH LIFES HAZARDS, SO THAT YOU DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES AS YOUR MENTOR/TEACHER/SPIRITUAL GUIDE, OR SENSEI".

My personal thoughts and ideals only.

Will continue shortly about how the actual label of the rank is more often a burdon and how it has affected my life, both good and bad.

gojutejutsuryu.

11. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

I look forward to reading more:) Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences/ knowledge with us.