Old but not out

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by nekoashi, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I might start just casual swimming on rest days.
    nothing intense, just something to loosen the muscles off so gravity can stop straining them for a little while.

and of course because the swim team girls at my uni are pretty good looking.

2. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I enjoy it. I have read mixed things on its cardio benefit. Girls are enough motivation to do it though, especially at 19!

3. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

So tonight I did a little jump rope in front of the television and some stretching. Not the class I was hoping to go to, but what are you going to do?

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

This is really what kata is supposed to be. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people (meself included) have seen so much of the mediocre variety they understandably feel that it to be a waste of time. This is really the upper-end of the stratum. Its good to know that it is taken to this level somewhere. As demonstrated here, it really is an Art unto itself.

In the interview with Zenko Heshiki, he made the statement that "no matter how strong and determined a student might be, there comes a point in his training where he can go no further in his training unless his mind and body drops away" I thought that a profound statement. Its a statement of dying to ones' self. Thats indicative of very, very serious training - both physically and spiritually. You hear the same statement echoed by those undergoing military training in elite forces - SAS, Rangers, etc.,. and those who cross incredibly tough hurdles to reach something beyond mundane goals, regardless of how lofty they may be.

Your posts have helped me to re-appreciate these rather untraditional of traditional martial arts.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  5. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

That interview was one of the most rewarding reads about karate I have ever read and I have read a lot about it. Certainly some profound stuff in it. It is even more rewarding to share it with others and have them appreciate it though. This spoke to me:

6. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Good workout at karate today. I am pretty beat, as I also did a lot of walking around today too. I must say that dead-lifts definitely targets the same muscles one uses in stances and boy did I feel it in class. ;)

7. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Ok, I did nothing today. Work is crazy and how dare it get in the way of training. I really wanted to do some olympic lifts with my sandbags. Hope to sneak in a karate class tomorrow. We'll see.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  8. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I did indeed get a karate class in today. Looking forward to tomorrow's. There is just something centering (for lack of a better word) about taking a class. I just start feeling off if I go too long without doing so lately.

9. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

class again today. Did some makiwara work today and some heavy-bag work. Too much else going on today to lift unfortunately. Will lift tomorrow.

10. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Did my leg and back workout today and I am totally shot. Will post it later.

11. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

So my weight has shot up to around 227, up nearly 10lbs in a week from eating a bit more, but most of it i from the creatine I started to cycle last week. It definitely made a very positive influence in my lifting. I also need to account that extra weight on the gravitron and I still haven't gotten used to lower weight numbers being better. I had no problem doing my squats and deads today, adding the squats was a big jump in volume from last week. My nervous and muscle systems are shot right now and toward the end of the workout, I just couldn't finish my rows or do farmers. I may do forearms midweek.

Today's workout:

Barbell Squats
    20 x 105
    20 x 135
    8 x 225
    8 x 225

Gravitron Pull-ups
    12 x 90
    7 x 70
    7 x 70

Dead-lifts
    12 x 225
    6 x 285
    6 x 275

Bent-over Rows (I was shot at this point) :baby:
    7 x 135
    3 x 155
    12 x 75

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  12. belltoller

Alright, what is your back workout composed of? I wanna get a list of everybodies ( who care to post 'em ) to see what works for them. I know I and everyone else here will benefit.

13. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Its right above.

14. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

20 rep squats destroy me, good stuff!

15. belltoller

That's just for yer back? :weightlifter:

Your already outta my league

16. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Have you ever tried the Steve Reeves Challenge? You do 100 reps (1 set) at half your body-weight. I have yet to do it, as it is a killer. Best I did was 100 reps in about 7 minutes, doing 35 reps at a time and then finishing the balance after two sets. Its actually pretty good for MA training and more HIIT like. You will be panting.

17. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Just keep lifting, there are always others out there that will make you feel like you are a newbie. There is always someone stronger, faster, more skilled, etc. Just do the best you can, that's what I say. I can lift a lot more than I used to, but some guys I see train make me look very weak.

18. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Lifted at lunch.
    Ran on the treadmill for five minutes at 5mph to warm up.

Dumbbell Bench Press
    12 x 40
    6 x 75 (no fail this time)
    7 x 70

Barbell Press
    3 x 95 (had pain in my right shoulder these should have been no problem)
    3 x 95
    12 x 70

Dumbbell Flyes
    12 x 35
    12 x 40
    8 x 40

Rotator Cuff exercise External rotation lying down
    12 x 12 each arm
    repeat

Dumbbell Side Lateral raise (nursing that shoulder)
    12 x 15
    12 x 20
    12 x 20

19. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

OK, feeling like a stuffed fat pig today. I am hovering between 225-229 in body weight which is up 10lbs from my weight prior to the creatine and increase in eating. My goal is to bulk up and increase my strength a bit, especially in the upper body. But damn, I am feeling bloated and fat right now. Did a little swimming today, sat in the hot tub and very little jump rope. Mostly a day off. Looking forward to a possible karate class tomorrow and Thursday.

20. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Karate class today. Happiness is a wet gi.