old bare knuckles boxing and karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by magpie, Oct 16, 2009.

1. karl52

karl52 openminded

as well as training the one shot ko or pre-emt I train to throw repeated power strikes . The punching style sounds very similar(not sure about fighting like him:)) The way that punch is described sounds ecactly like I train after throwing one punch rathar than pulling the hand back you follow through rotating the body to maximise the power in the opposite hand.

For body punching the liver or kidneys areas are favoured.driving the fist in almost ripping into the body. the style of the body punching and impact is also similar to this clip with Bas rutten

Bas rutten
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2JhhzYqaB8&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2JhhzYqaB8&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Im thinking of filming a short clip and putting it up tommorrow,so you can see what Im doing....good or bad:cool:

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

OK sounds good.

Bas sure does have a mean shovel hook.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

all hail the mawashi zuki :evil:

4. Octavian_Caesar

Octavian_Caesar Valued Member

These men were fighters. They broke their hands and each others faces. Nearly every fight, there was a winner and a loser.

Perhaps you laugh at trebuchets, also, because you favor ballistic missiles? You're not complimenting your level of consideration.

If these men fought, and there was never any winner, you'd have my ear. But you're wrong.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Fair point. The boxers attacks were much less efficient than the equivalent karate ones and they attacked by bending from the waist and leading into their opponent with their face, which you'd never see a modern martial artist of any kind do.

The comparison with karate tends to come about when people whinge about karate people holding a low guard. At this point, the karate people tend to point out that they hold a low guard when out of punching range, like you see in old boxing manuals. If you watch those videos, they did indeed keep a low guard when out of arms length and hang back for safety (particularly obvious in the "old boxing video" clip) in the same way you see karate fighters do. The main difference was that the strikes used by the boxers were clearly less refined than those used in karate.

6. karl52

karl52 openminded

wrong thread

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

You will if you see them fighting. Not every single technique you ever execute in a fight is going to be picture perfect.

[​IMG]

8. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

maybe not BUT they do hurt like hell.

Particularly if it is a boxer handing you it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Difficult to tell from that shot. He was certainly leaning in, but there's a difference between that and leading in with your face and letting your fist catch up.

10. Thompsons

Thompsons Valued Member

Interesting topic.

Overall i think boxing has some of the best stuff for fighting, be it in the ring or as selfdefense. But ofcourse there are some points. Its two different "games". Personally i really like boxings evasive techniques, such as barely slipping a punch and coming in with a counter. However thats something i would not like to do in a bareknuckle scenario. A pair of 16 OZ gloves DOES matter, for me it would not be adoptable.

I find Dempseys book very interesting. A little bit off the side; anyone who knows of places where boxing is taught primarily as selfdefense? ( With the necessary changes from the normal game).

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

wow, you are one massively deluded individual.

It doesn't matter how hard you hit if you haven't got the composure, timing, distancing, adrenaline control, intention, footwork and pure unadulterated BALLS to actually throw and land a strike. Sparring develops all off these things.

I'm not anti kata, but in terms of self defence sparring is more important.

12. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

It depends on the contact level. No-Contact points sparring is useless For Self Defence, (i'm not saying it's fully useless) Continuous Sparring of any kind is Extremely important Far all Karate.
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96062

I refer To this link, as kata has all your Self Defence techniques laid out, however Bunkai MUST be practiced allong with.
    I think Mabuni Soke had it Right 50% kata 50% everything else.