Okay, what DO we advocate for rape prevention?

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Microlamia, Apr 13, 2012.

1. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

At the club I work at I was always amazed when barmaids dads would turn up to drive them home, I always found it a bit odd, more recently I've began to appreciate it and undertand why.

2. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Slip - I didn't point out the spring blade/bloodloss/shock thing because I enjoyed the idea. I'd rather no one ever be in a position to need one...

I see where you are coming from though. Retribution fantasies aren't helpful..

3. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

*sigh*

So I should pay money I actually need for my education to go to activities to prove how sane I am, date guys I don't want to date to prove how sane I am, and have sex I don't want to prove how sane I am.

Enough.

4. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Back on topic:

Someone mentioned rape whistles. Does anyone know if they're actually effective? They seem well meaning but I know if I hear a loud siren type noise I don't really startle or take much notice I just assume it's a car alarm or something, unless it's a police type siren.

There's also the assumption that if a rape alarm goes off people will actually do something. It would seem more functional to just scream your head off. If you hear a siren type noise it's probably nothing, but if you hear someone shrieking blue murder you know something is actually WRONG.

5. seiken steve

Is that a 'yes, it's too soon'?

Taking things back to the OP is there a risk that MA training could instil a dangerous overconfidence in an adolescent young lady who's judgement is impaired by booze or whatever? "I'm a whatever grade in this art, I can walk home alone/go home with this guy, if someone tries it on I'll just bodyslam them"

We hope people wouldn't think like that but it's fairly likely.

6. seiken steve

Totally agreed, plus you don't forget/loose your voice box. I know a young lady who set hers off by accident in a changing room and couldn't turn the damned thing off for a good few mins, what's worrying is not one person came to check. Shocking IMO.

7. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

There's a chance of that, yes. But then you'd have to weigh that against the fact that martial arts would at least give her some ability to fight back.

And once she had been doing the art for a decent amount of time, and done plenty of sparring and realized her limits, the stupidity would ease off.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  8. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

My flatmate was attacked outside ours a few months before I moved in, she screamed her head off and got no assistance whatsoever, it isn't the answer to end all answers.

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

theres always drunk girls screaming by the loch on campus, after the first few times of rushing down to see what the hell is going on, you stop bothering cos you realise that most are just being tossers and doing the annoying drunk girl scream.
    its sad to think that the day some does get raped and is screaming, no one will rush down because they think its another stupid drunk girl.

10. Oddsbodskins

Oh yes, I understand the why's and wherefore's, I just hope I've never been the one not doing anything, because for every time I've had a look to make sure nothing untoward is happening, there's been another where I was fed up of exactly that.

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

There's a fair difference between some idiot screaming because she's drunk and someone screaming in terror. I think you'd know the difference if you heard it.

12. seiken steve

Hate the drunk girl scream with a passion, no we haven't forgot your there, what's wrong you almost weren't centre of attention for a second?

Having a loch in campus also seems a bit silly, although it's like that up there, Herriot whatt campus is a liabillity, no lighting, old coal bunkers, it's mainly Forrest, I spend many a sleepless night when my ex moved there after I'd seen the place. Surely there must be better ideas.

Perhaps the combo of rape alarm and screaming would increase authenticity?

13. Oddsbodskins

So do I, but I also know the difference between what I think and what I know.

14. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

many males and females on my campus find it hilarious to make terror screams.
    uni students = idiots pursuing "higher" education

15. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Okay, what DO we advocate for rape prevention?

Talk and read about rape prevention