Okay guys...I have a serious problem with cardio

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Wildlings, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

After stopping cardio training for some time (because of injuries and above all, lack of motivation:( ) I've found I've lost everything I'd built in the previous years of training.
    Now I've been running 2.5 km for some days and it feels terrible. So I can't even run 15 minutes without gassing out, you can really see in what terrible conditions my cardio is.
    Do you have any suggestion for me? Apart keeping on training, I mean :D
    Also, should I stick to jogging every day or alternate with something else, for example swimming and skipping rope?
    I want to build decent cardio within the beginning of Semptember, when I'm back to kickboxing classes. Any help will be much appreciated! :)

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Running is one of the best ways to improve your cardio, which is why boxers spend so much time doing it. I'd say stick at it, because it will improve with practise.

3. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

If you can't run for fifteen minutes, I'd say run slower. Running is deffinitely the best cardio I know of.

When I started running in preparation for my black belt test I was 210 lbs, and severely asthmatic. Now I'm 176 lbs and I kicked asthmas' butt. It sucked at first, it was painful and hard to breath but it paid off. Keep at it, it'll pay off for you too.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I hate running....no, scratch that I HATE running. It its dull, boring and painful to do (at least for me).

However, it is unfortunately every bit as useful as it is detestable so here is a helpful site that might put a fire under you

http://www.runningforbeginners.com/

Now for me (well pre-hernia recovery) I skip rope, shadowbox, hit the bag, do hindu squats and basically anything else that involves not running

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Try going for a 2-3 mile walk 5 days a week (or everyday would be ideal). Don't walk at your normal pace either, open up your stride and increase your step speed. You would be surprised at how much better your cardio will be to start implementing (decent) running after doing that for a couple of weeks. It doesn't suck either, and when you're ready to start running you'll find (I did anyways) that starting to run isn't so bad because you're not about to die from holding a light jogging pace.

When your stride and step speed is about as fast as your jogging pace it's time to start running. Not because that's a way of measuring your ability and progress or anything, but to walk as fast as you jog tends to make you look ridiculous on the side of the street :p

7. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

8. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

As Grass Hopper said, go slower! Use a heart rate monitor if it will help you pace yourself.

I love running, but I think that if you're not actually interested in being a runner, mix your cardio activities up. Running can do a lot of damage and doing some other cardio activities will possibly prevent over use injuries. it will stop you getting bored too.

9. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I found that after a long break even relatively short distances were hard work for a few weeks. You just have to suck it up. Take rest days 1-2 days. Go back to short distance 1km, 1.5km, add strides (periods when running a bit faster) when you can comfortably do 3km, add 0.5km a week onto next weeks run and you'll soon be running 5km.

10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

As Adouglasmhor mentioned, informal interval (Fartlek) and also cross-country or at least do the Fartlek off-road. That sort of interval stuff is much more realistic and applicable to your kickboxing cardio requirements, I'd think, than straight road-work.

They say both types are necessary :dunno:

Straight-pace running or jogging has always been easier for me than any sort of high intensity interval stuff - which is joist moi-dah. :cry:

Try mixing it up with sprints up long flights of stairs, get a set of hurdles and work it in to your routine. Even things like orienteering - better yet - here's a link

http://spartanracetraininguk.wordpress.com/. Events took away our chance to do the race when it was near us, so I canna vouch for it or not; and some of it reminds one of a specially designed SAS Course for Pregnant Aunt Polly but at least you'll escape road-huffing carbon monoxide for a bit

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  11. Wildlings

Done :) that definetly worked. I dropped my average speed from 11 km/h to 8 km/h. It felt so slow, but I didn't need to rest to catch my breath so I think I can improve my distance in little time if I keep at it.

Yes, I'm going to include some high-intensity rope skipping in my routine, and see how it works.

Now I mix it up with swimming. But in the winter, I'll have to switch to running alone - I can't afford a swimming pool or gym membership, and swimming in the sea in the winter is out of question :D)

Thanks everybody again, I'll let you know how things are going ;)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  12. Hive

Hive Valued Member

I find skipping (or jumping rope for you Americans) more tiring than jogging so that can't be bad as an exercise option.

13. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Try a cardio class. My wife never ran in her life. She started a cardio class, about 6 months ago. She recently joined me on a 5 k and left me in the dust. If no cardio classes in your area, interval training or station training will do it.

14. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I recently started getting worked over by a stair treadmill.

15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

If you can only run 15 minutes then do 16, pretty soon you'll be up to 20 then 30. It'll come to you just stay with it!

16. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

If the above advice doesn't help, try alternating bursts for a few minutes followed by jogging for a few, and so on. Eventually, you'll be able to stretch your bursts longer and be up to a good cardio capacity before you know it. :)

17. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

For my distance work during season I generally have 3 runs per week with 3 goals and progressions in mind.

1 distance, I plod a long at a fairly slow pace,

1 speed, I run shorter distances 1,2,2.5 and 3 miles with the goal of shorting the times it takes to cover it.

1 recovery, I just litterally plod about for a good while, serriously slow getting the blood moving and getting out the house (and away from the mrs :p)

18. Wildlings

Once again I have to thank everybody for the useful tips! I've just run 4 km, which is quite good considering I had troubles with 2 when I started. I should be able to run 5km by next week if it's allright.
    So thanks mappers! :cool:

19. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Awesome! ~pats on the back~ Keep up the good work. :) Cheers!

20. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Skipping!

And not the "skipping to school" with your hands by your sides, swinging about type skipping.

But the cardio intense, Boxer style kind of skipping. I got a dody knee so I can't run but skipping is helping loads.