OK I'll Try The Log Thing

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by 19thlohan, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

On the whole hows it feeling? Got the hang of it pretty well? I'm thinking in two weeks or so we should talk again and take it up a notch. Cool?

2. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Pretty serious leg workout you got.

3. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Ehh, it's not that serious.

4. 19thlohan

Yeah, it feels pretty good. Starting to find the right weight on most excersises.

There's other notches? Oh Oh!:eek:.....;)

5. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

30 reps at 255 on top of all else? Don't sell yourself short.

6. 19thlohan

LOL, I feel like the runt of the gym doing 255! Of course I am, but still!

7. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Your one rep max calculates out to 340. That is a very respectable weight for a barbell squat. You are training for martial arts, so you can't expect to be lifting the same kind of poundage a bodybuilder or power-lifter is. Amount of weight you lift is there to be increased so you are increasing your strength for your ma and as such, it is a secondary goal to your training.

8. 19thlohan

3 sets of push ups to failure

Bench press 12x170, 10x170,9x170
    Flys 12x40, 12x40, 10x40
    incline press 150x12, 150x10, 150x9

Tricep press 140x12, 140x11, 140x9
    lying tricep extension 70x12, 70x10, 70x10

3.2 miles on the weight loss course on the eliptical.

9. 19thlohan

7 miles on the interval course.

10. 19thlohan

4x30 leg raises on the seatless chair thingy
    4x30 crunches
    4x30 side crunches each side
    4x30 back extensions
    3x30sec planks. One on both feet and one on each foot.

5.8 miles on the eliptical cross country course 1

11. 19thlohan

Chin ups - 3 sets 12,9,8
    Close grip pull downs -140x12, 140x10, 140x10
    Close grip with v handle 120x12

Shoulder press with 50lb Dumbells 12,10,9
    Shoulder shrugs with 75lb dumbells 12, 10, 9
    cable machine side raises 3 sets of 12

30 minutes on the eliptical cross country course 1 - 3.3 miles.

12. 19thlohan

Squats 135x12, 185x12, 3x10 @255
    leg extensions 3x12 @ 120
    Leg press 3x12 @350
    Leg curls 100x12, 100x10, 100x10
    Standing calf raise 4x20
    Seated calf raise 4x20

3.5 miles on the eliptical cross country course 2

13. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

How the heck do you do cardio after that leg work out? :cool:

14. 19thlohan

It's actually pretty easy now that Mikey told me to cut it in half. I used to do an hour run.

15. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

You're finishing your squats with three sets of ten at 255?

16. 19thlohan

Yup

17. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I am truly amazed at the volume of your leg routine. Are you progressing with the amount of weight you lift, or are you static?

18. 19thlohan

Well to be honest I had been lifting 3 x10 as a general work out at a weight that made me work but I wasn't trying to get bigger or stronger, just stay in shape. I am now starting to feel like I've lost a little muscle mass and strength. probably just from passing 40 and such so I asked for some advice and started changing up my work out to try and gain that back. So just recently I went up a couple of pounds. I am still getting the feel of this weight. Trying to make shure I'm getting down as far as I can go with it with out losing proper posture.

19. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Anyone suggest to reduce the volume and increase the weight? I think you may be actually burning your muscles a bit with how much you are doing, especially with your post lift running and this could cause you to regress. Everyone is different and some people have the ability to train with the volume you are, so this is really just a thought on my part.

If it were me, I would drop everything but the squatting and add some stiff leg deadlifts for your hamstrings. But also either increase the reps on the squats (20 rep program), or the weight. Did Big Mikey suggest anything beyond cutting back your run, he seems to know his stuff pretty well and would like to know his thoughts too?

20. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I put the workout together for him as a starter to change things up from where he was. The goal is to keep stamina while increasing strength in movement. He's only doing 10 sets for quads which isnt much for someone who used to run for an hour AFTER legs. I used to do 16 sets as a rule.

See thats the thing, for him, his legs are used to being pounded. As he's said, the workout is pretty easy. Had I changed it much more it might have proven straight up boring to him.

When changing a workout I like to do that in stages. I decrease the workout in some areas adding stuff in others. I always want to take into account what they've already done. In this case I knew his legs could take the volume because in all honesty, in some ways, it was actually LESS than he was used to.

The proof is in how he feels. Seems like he's thriving rather well thus far. Every time I've checked with him he's responded favorably. Next week I'll take it a step further, adding and tweaking a bit so that it stays interesting and keeps him moving forward. :)