Ohtar says Osu!

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Ohtar, Apr 3, 2003.

1. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

Osu,

Looks like someone has been reading his International Karate Organization Kyokushin Students Hand Book.

I have heard many people speak of the spirit of osu and its meaning, and with as many different understandings. To date, although exposed to some of Kyokushin's best and brightest, I cannot say that I have mastered the ability to, in a scholarly manner, provide one simple definition to this concept. This is because the spirit of osu encompasses a multi-dimensional definition.It allows for each one of us to apply all or some of its philosophies within our lives.

Confucius wrote that "sincerity is the end and the beginning of all things." He goes on to say that "perceiving what is right, and what is not, argues lack of courage." This is so true of what Osu and Kyuokushinkai is.

There is a saying in Japan, Ishi no ue ni san nen, Translated, it means "three years on a rock." This saying symbolizes the need to perservere at all times and it is one of the most important philosophies in Kyokushinkai Karate.

A Budo-ka is not easily shaken by the blows of adversity, realizing that for a person to draw near to their true pontential, a never-say-die spirit of perserverance is required. This strength of character develops in hard training and is known as osu no seishin. The word osu comes from oshi shinobu, which means "to persevere whilst being pushed". It implies a willingness to push oneself to the limits of endurance, to persevere under any kind of pressure. The single word osu captures most accurately the ultimate in what the art of karate, particularly Kyokushin has to offer.

Osu.
    Paul Paterson.

2. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

Osu,

"Learning to use the word "osu" can only be mastered by practice. It should be used without embarrassment for all responses, yes, no, please, thank you, excuse me, and with attention to what signified, an unbreakable spirit."

Osu.
    Paul Paterson.

3. Adam

Adam New Member

I thought so too. It's a word with a complex meaning, and I myself have never grasped the true meaning of Osu and, for that matter, kyokushinkai. It's supposed to come only after years of training, but I still feel the power of the word.

Osu!

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Osu has a different meaning in the kyokushin dojo than to what it everyone else seems to think it means. Its not meant to cause offence, quite the opposite, its meant to show strength and respect. Knight_errant, why not go along to a kyokushinkai class and see what it means there in practice. There's loads in Wales. Thats probably the best way of understanding what we mean by it. Its hard to actually explain.

I think it'll take years of training to fully master what it means. I don't fully understand the whole meaning of it yet, but I know I will do as I train longer. It can mean different things to different students too. To me it signifys the strength and perservence, the ability to do that extra press up, or extra kick, when you think you're about to collapse from pain. Its also about showing repsect to other karateka.

I'd like to know if Osu is used in other styles of karate in a similar way to the way we use it. I've been to shotokan classes a few times, but they didn't seem to put as much emphasis on it as we do.