Official UK 8-ball Rules

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Victoria, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

As all pool players are aware there's much dispute over UK 8 ball (pool) rules. Looking into the history and current status there's a lot of politics and countless federations popped up with many different sets of rules. But which rules are THE rules?

From what I can gather, 8 ball came to the UK in the 1970's. In the 1980's the UK Pool Federation was set up but later split when the English Pool Association broke away forming an alliance with Australia, creating a new set of rules known as "world rules".
    The UKPF still remains as the EUKPF, most of Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland are members of the EUKPF, along with a large chunk of England. The EPA wasn't too popular and have now been ejected from the World Pool Association (WPA).

The main three sets of rules played in the UK seem to be old EPA rules, new EPA rules, and the EUKPF (federation) rules. There's also rules set by the WPA which appears to govern America while a separate world pool federation governs UK & Europe. These rules seem to be different again to the "world rules" set by the EPA (which look like claptrap to me).

A game of pool down the local can see a mixture of all the above rules and many wars over foul penalties etc.

Does anyone have any more information on the subject? Any current federation members out there? :D

2. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

We play prison rules here, now bend down and pick up that white ball white boi!

3. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Either old epa or new epa ... the rest suck.

Older players will play old rules, younger players play new rules...

I was raised on old rules so its what I know best and play best with... but I can play new rules if there's money involved :D

4. Victoria

No way :eek: From every pool forum I've lurked on this afternoon, the EPA are rubbish, ejected from the WPA and not recognised. They have relatively few members and are very frowned on by other federations/associations.

Plus I'm in Wales so hell am I playing English ego rules :D

The E&UKPF rules are much better.

5. Sgt_Major

I guess I just like the old school rules.

I started playin ball when I was 11. Wasted a lot of time skiving school to play ball up until I left uni at age 22 ... so 11 yrs of 1 rule set is the kinda thing thats hard to shake off :D

6. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

There are forums for pool? :confused:

IMO, which ever rule set you use it doesn't disguise the fact that the game is racist! That's correct, racist. You have the all white cue ball knocking all the coloured (spots and stripes) balls into the pockets.

I don't know about you but this is a subtle but blindingly obvious show at how the white man rules over the coloured man! The same deal can be seen in snooker! :woo:

That said, can't you just use the rules which are often pinned to the wall besides the pool table in pubs? :)

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

You mean there are rules to the game?
    I play almost every time we go out on the ****, because there's a pool table set up so handily in the union bar- and I still don't know the rules.
    It is racist yes. What's even worse is I've developed a habit, when things are not going well, of leaning over the table and shouting 'cooperate you little ROUND bastards!'. It's even worse when it's the black ball that isn't going in :D

8. Victoria

Ger outta my thread :p

9. Sgt_Major

/me reaches for fat end of pool cue to beat chimps with.

10. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

lol!

Yeh that black ball always seems to have a bloody chip on its shoulder, never goes down the hole for me. When i do go to pot it down the white ball always ends up going down instead. NOW THATS BLOODY RACIST!! but nothing EVER gets said about it, people just take the **** even more???:confused:

11. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Im not assed about what other rules there are as long as its always 2 shot carry and one shot on black only :cool:

Anyway, doesnt the person who stayed on decide the rules and challenger breaks??

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  12. Knight_Errant

I was with you up to the word 'always', yatezy.

13. Yatezy

:D

When a foul is made the other person gets 2 shots, if they pot a ball they still have 2 shots. When on black its only a single shot even if a foul has been commited

14. Knight_Errant

ah right, cool.

15. Yatezy

I actually dont know the official ruls so just make them up on the spot, a gentlemans agreement kinda deal.

Then i generally get beat :(

16. Sgt_Major

naaaw,

When a foul is made the other person gets 2 shots, if they miss the 1st, they have another, if they pot the 1st, they can continue until they miss.

17. Yatezy

Thats what i mean, they have that extra shot until they dont pot.

Some people dont play that and you only get the first shot for free regardless if they pot, its better if your using the 'free table' rule when your playing like that though

18. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Pool annoys me. I'm quite good at it but the one foot must stay on the floor rule messes me right up.:mad:

Oh and I have broken way too many of those hanging lights as well.

19. Victoria

I always used to play these rules. But the official federation rules use the free ball which is good. The "world rules" created by the EPA use the ball in hand rule from what I can see :rolleyes:

I've never cared until recently I've been playing against people from all areas and let me tell you, many a war over 2 shots and 1 shot on the black! So I've been forced to search for some official rules for clarification.

There seems to be the three main sets of rules in the UK, so we'll just play the federation rules and agree on that.

If you're playing with friends it wouldn't matter but if you play in tournaments you'll have a set of rules according to your governing body.

20. Victoria

This is one of the major discrepancies. Player 2 fouls and so player 1 gets two shots. On his first shot player 1 pots a ball, then on the next shot he misses. Do you a) pass play back or b) take a third shot which counts as your second due to the potted ball on your first go.

The same discrepancy arises if you're playing free ball rules.

I've always passed play over once you miss. Although if you think about it, if you pot a ball on your first shot, then go on to pot another, and another, this is all one 'go' and so you should still have the second 'go' regardless of how many you pot on the first go....