Official MAP Meet 2012

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Late for dinner, Apr 1, 2012.

?

Are you coming along to the 2012 MAP Meet?

Poll closed Oct 5, 2012.
  1. Yes definately

63.2%
  2. Unsure at this stage

31.6%
  3. I am coming and bringing a friend

5.3%
  1. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

MAP Meet 2012

Been a few years since a MAP Meet happened.

Any more Meets in the works? Anyone interested?

LFD

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2012
  2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm hoping to organise one in Nottingham in September, though the venue I was hoping to use looks to have closed. :(

Mitch

3. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I'd be up for one in summer. Well, any time really - but as usual, my issue is time constraints.

But in general - yes oh yes. I haven't been beaten up by enough MAPers. Mitch tried once, but he started crying due to what I can only think of as some kind of compassion.

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I'm from Nottingham. Where was you looking to use?

Have you thought about using the ICC?

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

A couple get set up now and again. Chadderz planned a scottish one for last weekend but I'm not sure if it happened or not. Met a few guys through JWT's sim days too.

But yeah we need a proper map meet. Lot of new members since the last one

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'll be going.

I live in Kent and as long as it's not a million miles out of my way am happy to give a lift to someone.

I'm also going to be available to teach if required.

7. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I think most of the mod team wants this to happen in 2012 and I've offered as much support as I can to Mitch. Once a venue is organised I suspect we'll be starting an official thread and looking for willing victi.... volunteers to run a session on the day.

8. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Count me in too , as long as the dates don't clash with one of the 3 family birthdays I have in September.

9. Simon

Yep, happy to help where I can. Just shout.

10. Mitch

Hey UC, I was aiming to use the Martial Arts centre at the Notts County ground, because it had plenty of space and was in walking distance of the station for those travelling by train. Last time I went past all the flags and banners had gone however and nobody answered the phone when I rang.

I don't know what rooms/facilities are available at the ICC?

Mitch

11. bassai

12. Mitch

13. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

iv often wondered what a map meet actually consists off, dont you end up with a lot of people used to training in very different ways, is it just a sparring session ? people from different arts would I imagine be used to varying degrees of contact, even above contact levels being an issue the term might mean something very different from one martial art to another. Same applies if some of the more experienced members instruct technique dont you end up with allot of people who are doing very different things week to week they just happen to all fall under the term martial arts. Id be interested to know how a way is found to do stuff that is relevant too and can include everyone who attends.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  14. bassai

They tend to be split up into a series of short (about 45 minutes) classes , where the guest instructor teaches an aspect or couple of techniques from their style.

15. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

It's not that far from the station, 15 min walk max, plus it's pretty much a straight walk too through Broadmarsh, through the square then up Mansfield Road.

Wouldn't be hard for one of us to meet everyone else and show them the way either.

ICC have a really large room upstairs that we used to use for Ninjutsu. Not sure if they still have mats etc on site though back then they were owned by the ICC so they should do as they have other classes that also use them.

The smaller rooms are ok for small groups though if you have a load of people swinging bokkens about then space can be a little tight.

You could also ask some of the other clubs if you could use their premises for a few hours, like Kickfit (right next to the train station) or Bushido MMA Academy (Ashley Street, near Sneinton Market).

I could probably get use of our gym but it's pretty far out in Hucknall though.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  16. Mitch

Kickfit is definitely worth a shout, as are the others, though it'll depend on whether they run their own classes on a Saturday.

Mitch

17. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Depending on location, I'd be interested in coming along :)

18. Simon

Cool, we're looking at somewhere in Nottingham.

19. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

It's basically a big bunch of taster sessions for different martial arts. It's not competitive at all. Just a chance to try out the training styles of lots of different arts.

At the last one I had a go at boxing drills, BJJ, RBSD and (I think) arnis. The one before that I tried sambo, kali, JWT's karate flow drills and krav maga. It's generally just lots of sampling new stuff.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  20. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I could probably get there easy enough :D

As soon as a date is set, I'll book the time off work.