Official fight card for UFC 58: USA vs. Canada

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by littlebiggie, Feb 17, 2006.

1. littlebiggie

littlebiggie New Member

UFC 58 - MARCH 4TH AT MANDALAY BAY, LAS VEGAS NEVADA
    Rich Franklin vs. David Loiseau (Middleweight Title)
    BJ Penn vs. Georges St. Pierre (Welterweights)
    Diego Sanchez vs. John Alessio (Welterweights)
    Yves Edwards vs. Mark Hominick (Lightweights)
    Mike Swick vs. Steve Vigneault (Middleweights)
    Kenny Florian vs. Sam Stout (Lightweights)
    Nathan Marquardt vs. Joe Doerksen (Middleweights)
    Jason Lambert vs. Rob MacDonald (Light Heavyweights)
    Tom Murphy vs. Christophe Midoux (Heavyweights)

I like the card especially the two big fights. It is also very exciting to see the LW division back.

2. drunken_master

drunken_master Valued Member

Sweet. :D

3. IrishStomp

IrishStomp Valued Member

I've been hearing the bj penn vs george st pierre fight and the matt hughes vs gracie fight at the next UFC hyped up so much i didnt even realized rich franklin was fighting at this ufc. I don't even know who david loiseau is, anyone think he's got a shot?

4. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I cant wait to see Rich Franklin fight. I really enjoy watching him. Great fighter.

Diego Sanchez is an amazing grappler. Going to be a great fight.

5. drunken_master

drunken_master Valued Member

If I remember right, David Loiseau is the guy that took out the BJJ guy with a spinning backkick, and managed to avoid getting put into a RNC for a good 30+ seconds while on his back. That video was posted in another thread not long ago, I'll try to find it.

Here we go, originally posted by KickChick in a TaeKwonDo thread: http://www.youtube.com/?v=N_ce_3cpF9I

If that's his standard fight then I'm rooting for him against Franklin. :D

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  6. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Loiseau is one of the few guys in the UFC that uses his elbows. From the fights I have seen, he is pretty tough.

I have never heard of Steve Vigneault so I'm guessing this'll be another quick fight for Mike Swick.

7. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I have a very bad feeling about the Loiseau/ Franklin fight. It's got potential to be a really good match, but could so easily end with a crappy cut because of Loiseau's elbows

8. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

I'm liking the card . . . unfortunately I think Canada is going to lose the match up, but I hope not.

I'm really excited to see the Penn and Pierre fight and I've always been a fan of Loiseau and Franklin. Don't know who to cheer for for that one, so I may have to let country pride decide for me :D

I'm equally excited to watch the LW fight. Still a bit bigger then me but I love watching little guys scrap it out and watching the different tactics used as opposed to the heavyweights.

9. sky

sky Valued Member

i think franklin will win, and Pierre, so you could call it a draw.

10. Faminedynasty

Faminedynasty Valued Member

Let's go canada. Loiseau is a great fighter to watch. He is buck-wild-ill for lack of a better phrase. And St. Pierre runs amok.

11. littlebiggie

littlebiggie New Member

this is a good prediction.im looking forward to both of these fights.

Rich Franklin Vs. David Loiseau
    On paper this one looks great. Franklin and Loiseau should be neck and neck with Rich ahead by a bit. But you have the X factors. First off Rich has a heavy fist and looks for the Ko, David is more prone to being fluid and trying to submit or KO the guy. Rich is a dirty boxer with good striking skills but fairly run of the mill. David is way out of left field with his tactics and Rich has never faced someone like this. I am not going to guess on this one outright. I would say that if David comes with his uniquely his A game he has a 70% chance of getting Rich. But my gut is going with Rich on this one. I would say he is about a 60/40 favorite to win.

Georges St. Pierre Vs. BJ Penn
    The prodigy vs Rush. This one is going to be the one to watch. Not just because it is a lead up to something, but because both fighters have something to prove. Rush is trying to prove she should face Matt Hughes again for a belt after a defeat, and Penn is trying to prove he should face Hughes again after he left the belt and beat Hughes. Can Rush beat one of the few men to have made Hughes Tap? I think he can. I am going out on a limb and saying that GSP will TKO or KO Penn. Why? Well when you look at the numbers you will see that GSP is actually better on paper for stats. He has lost one fight and that was to Hughes. He has thrown down with some big wigs and he takes them out by tap or KO . Penn has a great record as well, but he has left more guys loss up to a judge than GSP and even his wins were not entirely one sided recently. Okay, so you have to beat the man to be the man, and Penn has beat the man, but GSP has some speed and youth on his side. Penn has never faced as unorthodox a fighter as GSP as well. I am saying GSP will beat Penn?70/30 chance of that happening. Still close, but GSP to win?quote me on that!

12. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

Davie by tko
    penn by magic jitsu
    sanchez by gnp
    yves edwards by mauling
    Vigineault "lionheart" by murder over swick
    stout by ko?
    deorksen by sub
    macdonald....why? I unno hes the canadian? I don't know who these guys are
    Midoux! by..I unno!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  13. littlebiggie

littlebiggie New Member

franklin ud, GSP tko, mrquardt ko, alessio ko, swick ko, edwards ud, florian, i don't know these other guys so there's no way for me to guess, alessio is a bad mo-fo diego will not muscle him around....i think UFC58 is gonna be really HOT!

14. valetudo74

valetudo74 Master of Ching Ching POW

UFC 58 Fight Card

Franklin by KO. "The Crow" Loiseau should put up a nasty fight for Franklin though. Not only elbows, but his kicks are just lethal, so Franklin will need to watch out for those.

Penn by submission over St. Pierre. St. Pierre has trained extensively on the ground both in BJJ and w/the Canadian Wrestling Squad, which will help, but his ground skills are nowhere near the level of Penn. However, his striking definitely will pose a problem for Penn. Penn won't leave the cage w/out taking a few to the dome. I'm impressed the UFC is bringing Penn back after the bad blood they've had in the past.

Sanchez by submission over Alessio. Alessio's a beast in the cage, but Sanchez will use his skill and determination to win this one.

Edwards by KO over Hominick ala Thug Jitsu.

Swick over Vigneault by decision. If I'm not mistaken, I think Vigneault was DQ'd from some fights in Canada for fighting dirty. I think these guys will trade back and forth, but Swick comes out on top w/the judges.

Florian over Stout, decision.

Doerksen over Marquardt, KO.

Don't know enough about the other two fighters for a prediction.

15. littlebiggie

littlebiggie New Member

nice predictions man! A lot of the non main events look pretty good as well. Jason Lambert is VERY tough. TONS of experience and he's a brown belt in BJJ now under Roy Harris. I expect that fight to be pretty action packed. Alessio vs. Diego will be good too. Alessio will be a much harder fight for Diego than most people seem to be thinking.

16. migo

migo New Member

That sounds like what people were saying about GSP vs Karo... Steve Vigneault's a good fighter.

17. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

The more I've looked into this, the more that sounds accurate. I am very much looking forward to this one. Gotta go with Swick though.

18. littlebiggie

littlebiggie New Member

yeah the guy from Montreal has an elbow getting sharper and sharper all the time! i thought his fight. Somebody let Rich Franklin know about it.

19. Sever

Sever Valued Member

By way of a little update to the card: the Sanchez fight has been pulled as he hasn't been medically cleared. I'd be lying if I said I was disappointed
    EDIT: Florian's just been pulled to due to a back injury. The TUF guys are dropping like flies this week

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  20. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Not all the TUF guys dropped like flies. Swick took a little longer than usual this time around but still won in the first round.

Felt bad for Loiseau. He just did not seem like himself last night. Franklin did a number on him. I would hate to see what his face looks like today.