Office space

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by greg1075, May 18, 2015.

1. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Nope to all of the above. His illness is a sleep disorder allegedly, that much is known. The "chronic lateness syndrome" is not. Only one man has ever been dx'd with it and it is an unrecognized condition which many experts think is poop, including one psych I spoke with. You push his shift back half an hour, how about he does NOT push his alarm clock back half an hour so he makes it on time? I know, that one is really coming out of left field. Thee only dx that fits is DSPS, which is manageable. Performance is an issue for mgmt as well. After a year on the job, they asked me to totally retrain him. He was canned from his previous job because of his tardiness and performance issues. As for what I worry about, you let me me the judge of that.

2. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

In my book, people who pull their weight wouldn't have to worry about it and dead weight would get canned. That's what would happen in a sane world. I fully agree that the company deserves everything what's coming to them though, so there's that.

3. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I had no idea why everyone is thinking this is a "guys what should I do???" thread. I know my company. I know management. I know what I should, can or can't do - and the issue has been on the table for a while actually. I didn't solicit or need advice on THAT. The question wasL has anyone run into a similar lateness issue, no more no less.

4. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

There IS always one, isn't there?

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

God knows I can sympathise with it being hard to get out of bed in the am but it is kind of odd he can get in at a certain time but not maintain getting in at that time when that's the time he should really be there.
    Why change his alarm clock when his shift time changed if what the alarm was already set to would get him to work on time!?

6. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

That was the first way it was setup. 9:00-5:00. He'd stroll in closer to 10:00 so he was unofficially 10-6.P roblem is we are inside sales and take calls. the calls die down after 4:00 so that means he basically had 1 to 2 hours of down time to catch on (and he needed it because he was so utterly disorganized and inefficient) and a much lighter workload than the rest of us. When our inline manager quit, he told the new one he didn't like his 9:00 shift because he was in the office so late (my wild suggestion is that being bad at his job on top of strolling in 30-60mn late every day might, just might have contributed to this problem) and that he wanted to move to the 8:30 shift. The request was granted under the agreement that he WOULD be on time in the morning. He said he could do it. He still showed up no earlier than 9:00. He was put back on 9:00 and he doesn't show up until 9:30. We've all been very accommodating and tried to find ways to make things work given his alleged problem, but he can't hold his end of the bargain. The I have a sleep disorder excuse is wearing thin.

7. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Yup. You riddle me that.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I don't get out of bed because my alarm clock is going off. I get out of bed because it is the last possible second I can get out of bed and still be at work on time. I have no trouble seeing how someone who is clinically fatigued would struggle with that.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Oh sure...I toe that line every day (well my kids kind of decide what time I get up these days TBH).
    But if it's an issue, and he's shown he can get to work at that time, then I'd say he should probably make the effort.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Important bit highlighted

If he consistently managed that time before then he can manage it now - that is clearly NOT a CF issue, otherwise he would not have made it in at that time before would he?

Accomodation is one thing; taking the urine is something else

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

An employee still has an obligation to do what they can. As I said, I'm frequently late. But I try to make up for it. And when I'm not feeling like a bus is parked on me, I'll stop being consistently late. People have medical conditions, yes. But I've seen a lot of people put limitations on themselves out of proportion with their condition.

My grandmother suffered from the same degenerative kidney disease I have. About 40 years ago. So you can imagine how much more primitive transplant technology was. She had a decal on her car allowing her to park in the reserved spaces up front in any parking lot.

She never parked there. Because she could walk.

I'll work right up until the day before my transplant surgery. Because I can. Medical conditions can make things hard. But we can do hard. Hard isn't impossible.

This guy needs what he needs. But I do believe that people need to be honest with themselves and others about what they actually need and when they're taking it overboard. Don't know this guy. Only have Greg's (highly biased) word for it. But, given that description, I think he could do more.

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

All we have here is your guesswork and conjecture, And your not his manager. if you make an issue out of, your manger is more likely to take it as a Challenge to his authority and treat you accordingly, especially In sales.

13. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Except

- You don't have a chronic lateness problem you know you need to manage. He does
    - You still get to work on time. He doesn't

14. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

This thread needs more references to the movie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

The dx is a guess, albeit a fairly educated one. His previous employment track record is not. It’s known from his previous coworkers and boss. The quality of his work here isn’t either. I retrained him myself and after a year on the job, his workflow was a disaster. His numbers are still substantlly lower than everyone else’s, including people who have been on the job half as long as he has.

It’s already an issue for management. Been for 2 years.

Medical condition or not, the guy can make 9:00 when scheduled at 8:30 but not when scheduled at 9:00 and yet, this should be ok because, hey, he only gets up whenever he absolutely has to? When he has an obvious tardiness issue to manage he’s absolutely aware of? Whaaa?

16. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

17. holyheadjch

I also don't have a medical condition making everything harder. And I don't have judgmental colleagues creating a toxic work environment.

I'm just lucky, I guess.

18. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

So you're brought that up because...it doesn't apply? Brilliant.

You don't know the guy from adam yet you seem to think you have it all figured out. So heartbleedy and holyheadjch of you. Over two years of bending over backwards with no changes to the tardiness that HE promised he could fix. Geez we're such horrible people. Get off your high horse, pal.

19. holyheadjch

huh?
    No, but I've seen teams like yours many times before. Identify the weak link and blame everything on them. If it wasn't this guy it would be one of the others who wasn't pulling their weight.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If you aren't pulling your weight you should be brought to task surely?