Off to ISMAC

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by lklawson, May 20, 2009.

1. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

I'll be off to ISMAC tomorrow. See ya next week!

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Have fun!

If you end up sparring, remember to hit the people and make them fall down. ;)

Best regards,

-Mark

3. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

I always get that confused with "Kiss the girls and make them cry." ;)

I'll definitely be making/accepting Broadsword League Challenges and Tom is trying to talk me into doing the Knife tourney again. But I'd rather take one of my guys and force HIM to enter. He's getting so dang fast! (not that he's attending, mind you. I just wish he were.)

That's the problem. You take a new guy, and you can dominate him easily. But you spend a year or so bringing him up to speed and you have to start pulling out your tricks to get even little edges up on 'em. And when they're young and fast, well... Old and Sneaky gets REAL important. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Be sure and let us all know how it went :cool:

Louie

5. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

I'm back!

It was a fantastic, if long and tiring weekend. I missed the knife and rapier tournaments but I heard they went OK over all (I was eating Thai food at the time).

Several new instructors this year including Bruno Cruichi who taught Garrote Larense which was quite popular. Paul taught a new interpretation of Naval Cutlass use based heavily upon the work of Pringle-Green and his unreleased (and difficult/expensive to get copies of) manual/recommendations to the British Admiralty.

Many of the same instructors were there from before to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the event including John Lennox, Ken Pfrenger, Maestros Martinez and, of course, Jarred to name but a few of the habitual returnees.

Dwight McLemore was there this year, upon special request (read: lots of begging and pleading) from Jarred. He taught a course of four 3-hour classes, each building upon the last. Seems he'd OFFERED to run his Expert Knife certification for select student but was turned down due to scheduling concerns and the fear that there might not be enough demand. Essentially it would have taken most of his time track (they run multiple simultaneous instruction tracks). I harassed Jarred about it and he CLAIMS that if I cat beat up enough interest he'll beg and plead for next year. The fact that I told Jarred that I and other would have been willing to pay additional for that course track might have been an influence.

Naturally there were the usual courses on various kinds of fencing from traditional Rapier to Longsword. I even took Craig Johnson's class on Montante, which uses the Greatsword in various contexts, including one-man wide narrow streets. Very different. "But it was a GOOD kind of pain." ;)

There was lots more but I think I'll wrap it up for now.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk