Obscure grading question...

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Xue Fang, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Xue Fang

Xue Fang Bluebelt

Sabum told me to go find this out as I'd need to know it for my grading for bluebelt, but I can't find it in any of my textbooks and I've done a search of the forums and can't find a previous topic on it, and Google isn't helping either...

What it is, is this - what are the four uses of the lower arm when one is performing dool palmok machi (double forearm block)?

I believe one is to reinforce the high blocking arm, and another is to protect the solar plexus, but I can't find out what the other two uses are! :confused:

Also, in the first move of Yul Gok, you move to the left, make a sitting stance, and take a measure (or do a sort of half punch thingy). What is this measure/half punch thingy called in Korean? :confused:

Will some knowledgeable higher grade please enlighten me?!!! :)

Thanks all,
    Xue Fang

2. Gould

Gould Valued Member

I never knew there were 4 uses for the lower arm in doo plamok makgi, I was only ever asked for 3! :eek: .

Anyhow the 3 uses I can think of are:

1. To reinforce the blocking arm
    2. Protect the Solor plexus.
    3. In preperation to perform a low block to protect the lower torso/groin.

Hope this helps

3. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

That's a bit tough. There's probably load of us here who could give you explanations for it but they might not be the one your instructor is looking for. He also might be from a different school of thought that I, or others on here, am/are. So I might not answer. If you want one application for it I'll give it to you but, from what you and Gould said, he would probably think you were insane if you gave it to him as an answer.

I may be able to be of some help on this one. Check out this from the ITF New Zealand Website - it may contain what you are looking for.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I have no idea what the Korean is to my shame, interesting to see that neither does the website Alexander links to!

Sitting stance, extending the left fist to the side front horizontally. =
    Annun sogi, [extending the left fist to the side front horizontally].

Anyone else able to supply an answer?

Mitch

5. Xue Fang

Xue Fang Bluebelt

Hit me.

6. In a good position to use a low block.

Is used as a self-defence movement against a double wrist grab, in which case the lower arm is punching your attackers wrist.

There the first two that came to me anyway.

Chotjum bangpae

-

Love ya baby. :)

7. Just to clarify that....

Chotjum = Focus

Bangpae = Fence/Shield [Which is the application for this move. Putting space between you and your opponent.]

8. Xue Fang

Xue Fang Bluebelt

:rolleyes: Well, that didn't take long.

Thank yooooou!!!!

9. Alexander

Wow, I'm impressed. :D

Might just have to correct the translation I've got... which, as Mitch pointed out is still in English! :D

So what did you think the application is for this one Rag? Putting space between you and your opponent... like, pushing them away?

Well... I use the supporting hand to apply a painful joint-lock. The blocking arm is used to brace against the opponent's arm to prevent him twisting out of it.

Broadly the joint lock, reffered to as Sankyo in Aikido circles, goes like this - for a left augmented/double forearm block:
    1) Assuming that the opponent is launching a straight punch with their right arm: Turn you body sideways so your left side is facing toward you opponent and parry the punch with the left hand, letting it go past you.
    2) Grab the opponent's fist with the right hand and get a good grip on their bicep with the left hand.
    3) Keeping the opponent's fist so that their palm is facing downwards, twist the fist inwards in a circular motion whilst lifing it up. Use the right arm to brace against the opponent's arm to ensure that they can't get out of it.

10. From my instructors personal manual! :D - Ain't Ohdokwanists lucky boys? Lol.

Eh... I never bought into that one.

According to Choi it's:

Fist up. "Stop"
    *Guy carries on being a *****
    *Double Punch*
    -
    Which is fine... Except if your at arms length. Which means theres no 6 inch rule.

My brother used it a while ago against some idiot. But not like that. He was in an L-Stance and put his left [front] hand on this guys chest. When this guy pushed against him he struck him reverse. [With a stick. :rolleyes: Lol.]

Personally I wouldn't be in a straight combat situation in a sitting stance with my gigantic, rhinoceros balls exposed.

I think it must either be...

An off-balance pull. Namely, side-step to the outside of an attacking punch, having grabbed it with the near hand.

Then pull "reaction" with twist with the grabbing hand. The focus hand makes a push against their ribs.

Or, General Choi's attempt to make TKD seem good by introducing some slo-mo moves into the patterns. :D "Look! We're focusing!"

Sounds good. I shall have to try that.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  11. Alexander

Are you targeting a pressure point with this one?

That's probably the most historically accurate explanation. :D

12. Could do... I've never thought about it in depth before. Once you've twisted their arm over and down you can hit either the floating ribs any of the other pressure points down the side.

[​IMG]

13. coriolisdave

coriolisdave New Member

The fourth one that I've been taught (with greater or lesser amounts of plausibility, mind ;) -- the block is "designed" to be against a reverse turning kick (in the pattern, anyway). The idea is that you block initially, then using the lower arm, push the upper arm upwards, until it is almost in a rising block position (but at about a 45degree angle). The lower arm ends up basically at right-angles to the upper arm

The idea is that instead of blocking the kick force-against-force, you're redirecting it over your head. This is not, however, the primary application ;)

14. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

As part of a throwing technique :)

As part of a wrist lock/pressure point application (ala Rick Clark special)

Stuart