O Soto Gari

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Keikai-Tsutsumi, Apr 19, 2008.

1. robnj

robnj Valued Member

Good stuff FM,

If they have gi I like to sometimes feed my right hand to the left lapel and than during the set-up see if I can snake that right hand up to collar by his neck with my thumb on the inside facing up. If I can get that grip I will turn my right thumb down towards his neck while pushing it forward so that my inner forearm rolls along his neck. Shortly there-after I try to grip his right sleeve at or above the elbow (elbow or triceps) If I get a "neck bob" from him---if my forearm roll makes his head bob or move to his right I will try to time my entrance a second after the neck bob to work the throw.

In the 90's a judo friend of mine learned this variation guy in Cali. He would put his right hand on the guys left shoulder---on top on the trapezoids and his left hand on the triceps or sometimes on the other guys scapula. He would than jump up in the air pushing down on him with his right hand to keep him from moving. While in the air he would drive past him. As he descended in an arc over the guy he would reap his leg. The guy that showed that to him learned it from watching a ballet class and wondering how he could use ballet moves to do throws.

2. robnj

robnj Valued Member

A kicking drill that involve Osoto: (assuming reap on right leg) (tori= thrower) (uke=throwee)

Inside ankle front kick to Osoto. The guy being reaped wears a shin guard on left shin with the shin guard on the inside of the shin covering his ankle. From a clinch position (grips can vary) the guy applying osoto throws a light left front kick to the shin guard targeting the inside ankle of the other's guy's left leg. On que the guy being kick feels the tap on his shin pad he moves his left leg back and the guy applying the throw steps in as the guy steps back and reaps his right leg.

To make the throw work the timing has to be such that the reap is happening at the same time as the guy puts his left foot back from being kicked . Other important components include:

1) The leg going back is the primer to attempt the throw. If he doesn't move his leg back than don't drive in for the throw.

2) The thrower's right hand can be on the trapezoid, neck, or between the shoulder blades. There is some wiggle room on the right hand but the throw works best if the thrower pushes the uke (person being thrown) upper body back to (his/tori's) the left.

3) If you throw the front kick really hard during practice you are going roll your partner's ankle (injuring it) and he will feel those shots through the soccer shin guard. Tapping is the best call for avoiding ankle injuries.

4) In reference to # 3 post tori (thrower) and uke (throwee) are cooperating to make the throw work during the drill.

5) Within the drill uke should move his foot back before the front is completed from time to time making tori adjust the timing for the throw. It also instills the idea that the foot moving back is the primer for the throw as opposed to kicking the left leg.

6) From time to time uke should put a hand up in front of tori's face if possible. It will help tori become sensitive to avoiding getting tagged on the way in for the throw. Tori putting his left hand on ukes right elbow or triceps and cupping is a good strategy to discourage being tagged.

7) There is always some point fighter / TKD guy or Karate guy in class that when acting as uke during the drill jumps up and back to avoid the front kick with the intention of landing in "L stance" "T Stance" or what-ever name they have for the sideways point fighting stance they use. Reaping both legs before they come down is really unsafe for the uke. Every fall from that will be really hard and sooner or later uke will get reaped and land on his head instead of his back. Safer to either not attempt the reap or treat the throw like a normal osoto gari without the step back.

3. Marlo_Stanfield

Marlo_Stanfield Banned Banned

This is how it's done in real life:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmfLpvsrKn4"]YouTube - Yamashita O Soto Gari[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOwlqKkEXCo&feature=related"]YouTube - Yasuhiro Yamashita HL[/ame]

Almost always reaping at the side of the leg.

4. Marlo_Stanfield

Even more Osoto Gari Awsomeness as applied in dynamic situations...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOt6BN-lIlk"]YouTube - Ishii Satoshi Osoto Gari Highlights[/ame]

Dig it!

5. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

The first vid is either a makikomi version of o soto gari[no reaping movement ] or an o soto otoshi.I would say the throw is more osoto otoshi. You have not selected a particularly good example .Yamashita Sensei uses his body weighy to pile the guy onto the tatami [losing his own balance]
    A good osoto should reap the leg away and Tori should be on posture.
    Perhaps Inokuma/Okano/Koga/ Geesink may have osoto gari on Youtube??
    Kenshiro Abbe as far as I remember never did osoto gari as shown in demo of Yamashita.
    Cheers, Joe

6. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

osoto gari

Both throws are makikomi versions of osoto. Effective but not a classic waza.

7. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

I suggest you take a look at Isao Okano doing Osoto Gari on You tube.Just key under search and enter O Soto gari.Okano does an excellent example.

8. Marlo_Stanfield

No it's not. That IS osoto gari as applied in a dynamic situation.

This is makki-komi as applied in a dynamic situation.:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWa4EjZWGV8&feature=related"]YouTube - Soto Makikomi[/ame]

If you pay attention you will clearly see that osotogari is a reaping motion...from the side or from the back. Osoto Gari means "major outer leg reap". There is no mention of whether it is defined as so from whatever angle. The makki-komi vid clearly shows that there is no reaping with the leg. The leg of torei is blocking...not reaping.

The whole of the Judo community seems to believe that Yamashita is performing osoto-gari. Yamishita himself calls it osoto-gari. Yamashita almost always seems to be performing osoto gari in this manner while fighting.

You do realize that throwing in a dynamic situation IS NOT the same as performing a throw in kata...or uchikomi for that matter ?

So in summary, You are wrong.

9. Marlo_Stanfield

Not to be rude..but no one cares.
    Re-read my first post and you will realize why this being a "classic" waza is a non-issue.

If I remember correctly the OP's post was in regard to how others on the board perform osoto gari...not whether or not they performed in a 'classic' manner.

Now that I think about it, 'classic waza' is a fallacy. Get two 'masters' to perform seio-nage, and they will both perform it differently.

10. Marlo_Stanfield

You do realize that this did not help your case at all, right ?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loUJH_JgkhY"]YouTube - Judo: Isao Okano O Soto Gari[/ame]

11. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Gents nice techniques in the videos ..lets not argue the little things like in other areas of MAP and just enjoy the clips and the posts

Smurf

12. Marlo_Stanfield

No problem.

13. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Osoto gari

Dear Marlo,
    Correct me if I am wrong here. Osoto gari is a waza that throws the uke to his rear.Your example shows Tori throwing the uke forward.You clearly see the Tori hip rotation.I do agree that you do not always do a classic waza in Shiai.As far as your other statement about different guys doing the same throw in a 'different 'way , this goes without saying.A Judoka like Ruska / Geesink , both six footers, would not do the exact same as Isao Inokuma, or a smaller man.Each guy would use a different approach.
    May I also state that I had considerable Judo experience in my younger days [Uchi komi/kata/ Shiai?Let us just agree to disagree on what is being shown in the clips.Happy New Year.best regards.

14. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Dear mario,
    On reading the comments related to your example of Osoto Makikomi, may I point out that there are some viewers comments on the comments of YouTube which suggest the throws are not
    as listed in youtube? So I am not in a minority of one here.

15. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Great waza -enjoy

Hi Alansmurf,
    As you state enjoy the clips.Mario /others can decide what is being shown .No problem. Mario is free to express his viewpoint, I mine. We certainly wont be getting to a situation of duelling with feather dusters at 100 paces..I hope.
    Happy New Year.Joe.

16. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

My sensei is about 5'04" , I am 5'11" and much as i try I cannot do some techniques exactly as he does...different builds different centre etc.

we both do passable variants of throws and call them the same name !!

Enjoy training and the clips

Alan

17. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

sensible reply

Common sense [ a rare commodity ] is expressed here in your blog.Thank you, dear Smurf.
    Joe

18. Marlo_Stanfield

Perhaps..in kata, in uchi-komi..fighting an unskilled opponent...but almost never works out that way while fighting an opponent of comparable skill.

19. Marlo_Stanfield

It's all cool.
    Debates are good for the mind.

20. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

debates are good for the mind

Dear Marlo,
    Only if the debate is sensible , well constructed and logical.Joe.