****o Ryu Karate and Aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by gorinnosho, Dec 28, 2007.

1. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

Hi, i'm currently studying ****o Ryu karate, and i was looking for a locking art to complement it with. By coincidence an Aikido guy is starting a dojo in my youth club (where my karate dojo is at). Considering the club also offers Judo, but judo doesn't suit my body size/shape. Anyway, i borrowed a book about Aikido from my local library (it's about Yoshinkan, but i don't know the style the teacher teaches) and the more i read into it the less i know about it than i though,so i have some questions:
    1. What are the four main styles of Aikido and the differences between them?
    2.while practicing do i need a hukama?
    3. what is the ranking system like?
    4. how much of the techniques is internal and how much does physical strength help?
    more questions will come thanks in advance

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Check out the martial art of aikido threads here on MAP. If you have the choice have a look at Iwama aikido it includes study of the sword and stick.

regards koyo

Traditional aikido, however you MUST find a good teacher as many have changed the art to suit themselves.
    Yoshinkan has a structured manner of teaching that a karateka could fit into well
    Yoseikan has techniques from karate and judo
    Tomoki aikido has competition agains knife
    Kr aikido lays no claim to be a martial art

I train in traditional aikido as it was when it first came out of Japan this includes strikes and weapons training.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  3. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

thanks koyo, very helpful as usual.
    many thanks

4. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

question:

will my med weight karate gi with stand training? like with the throughs and all.

5. koyo

All the guys in my club wear Judogis Even then we get the occasional sleave ripped. :) Still I think the karata gi should stand up to the training.

Best wishes for your training. let us know how it goes.

regards Bill

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

There's a FAQ in the Aikido Resources subforum that will help with your questions.

And yes, a karate-style gi will be just fine for a long time. A lot of people I know transition from karate-style to judo-style to aikido-style gi. The aikido-style gi has shorter sleeves and a thickness midway between that of the other two.

7. koyo

As aiki mac says there is a gi specific to aikido. See below. The shorter sleeves are for weapons training. Note the kendoka in the audience, black gi, same length of sleeve. Be sure it is not tight under the arm pits.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2008
  8. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Probably,
    Aikikai (although they will say, "Aikikai is not a style, it is an organisation with many different approaches..." :D)
    Yoshinkan
    Shodokan/Tomiki
    Ki Aikido/Kokikai (these are seperate but similar)
    There is also two other "main" schools,
    Iwama Ryu/Traditional
    Yoseikan (In Australia, you will only find this in Perth)

As for differences, that may take some time, a long time...

Most styles do not use a hakama, or reserve it for yudansha (black belts), so no.

Every "style" is different. If you do a :google: search you will find the standard Aikikai and Shodokan syllabus, which are available for download. These are a standard across almost all dojos in the organisation. I don't know about the other styles, except for Yoseikan :).

Physical strength is not supposed to be involved, hence the reason some claim that Aikido is ideal for women, as it is not based on strength. Having said that, it is not necessarily internal, it is what Jigoro Kano called, maximum efficiency. That is perfect timing with coordination of your entire body. Just like a reverse punch, using the feet-legs-hips-back-shoulders-arms-hands all together. Using your entire body correctly, even a person who is not considered strong, can deliver a powerful punch.

Regards,

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  9. koyo

Hi Graham how are the family? Best wishes for the new year.

regards koyo

10. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Hi Koyo,
    Life is good right now (except that there is no training due to the holidays :(). The family is good, and being a father is great. Happy new year to you.
    Regards,

11. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

many thanks to all who posted,

i found out that it's aki-kai, aikido.

Mods: right for closing

12. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

i think practising karate and aikido is a good combonation if you apply karate moves in an aiki manner

13. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

Or vice versa :)

Example, apply kaiten-nage with a gyaku-zuki or oi-zuki like motion...

14. koyo

Spot on.

regards koyo

Or a tsuke whenever an opening appears.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  15. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

One of the karate styles I had discovered recently been introduced to is wado ryu. Great style I would say. It's a style that uses very similiar taisabaki to the ones I use in aikido and jujutsu. I would recommend seeing if you can make the connections with your style of aikido and your karate, it's really quite fascinating.

Cross-training brings out the best in us! Good luck!

16. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Watched some vids on Youtube, and I must say as an Aikidoka and Karateka, I am was not really impressed. Having said that, as a Kenjutsuka, one of my pet peeves is tachi dori by people who don't know how to use a sword...

Regards,

17. koyo

Could not agree more. In tachi dori you MUST be a much more experienced SWORDSMAN than the attacker irrespective of your unarmed art.

David agrees:)(bokken dori mishap)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  18. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Okay we all know my Japanese is pants. Tachi Dori is something like taking the sword away from your opponent right?

19. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Indeed, tachi dori = sword taking.

Regards,

20. koyo

I "just got off line" . Charles is one of my students and I have ftfteen years more experinece. You can see my bokken held gyaku and half sword against his chest. If he were a superior swordsman I would be "dead".

Makes me shudder when I think of some tachi dori demos I have seen.

regards koyo

Attached Files: