Nylon wasters

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Langenschwert, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  2. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Interesting but at about same price at a hanwei hand and a half, I would take the steel blunt first. If they could half the production price then I think they would be on to a real winner.

The Bear.

3. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

What about the synthetic boken offered by Cold Steel?

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Never tried one but I guess they would be fine. Although there is nothing more beautiful than a well made wooden bokken.

The Bear.

5. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

They are about the same price as a wooden waster, and they are safer than aluminium swords or steel blunts. For safer freeplay, they are apparently a nice compromise between padded weapons and wooden wasters. Getting thwacked with a waster really hurts, but the nylon ones have a bit more "give" in them. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

6. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

I simply cant envisage doing this WMA thingie without a steel weapon.

The only interest I'd have in non steel wasters is if it gave the ability to expand the group.

To me it should hurt occasionally. Thats the Martial Art bit! If it didn't hurt you'd not understand the importance of fighting safely (not being hit) ..... and I'd think I was doing something non physical.

(to give you an idea of what I think of a physical pastime ... football (full contact wide receiver/cornerback), karate, parachuting, baseball (centre fielder/pitcher), rugby and basketball (yes I thought it was non contact as well! :eek: )

7. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I can see your point, but it is impossible to do full speed, full contact freeplay with steel, unless you're wearing full harness, which is prohibitively expensive, and distorts the footwork and balance. If you're using steel at reduced speed, the sense of timing becomes distorted. The only way to do full contact cheaply is with padded weapons. However, padded weapons do not bind accurately, but they do teach proper range and timing. Wooden wasters are OK, but they bounce in a way that steel most certainly does not, and are much more dangerous than padded weapons. Aluminum is safer than steel, but is more dangerous than wood. Nylon has similar qualities to steel in the bind, and doesn't bounce like wood does, and flexes to a similar degree that steel does, which is important. It is also slightly safer than wood.

I believe freeplay is an important part of learning swordsmanship. However, all the simulators have their drawbacks. Only sharp steel handles like sharp steel. Even blunt steel is significantly different. I believe that one should train with as many simulators as possible in order to get a more complete picture of the combative use of the sword. Each simulator gives a part of the puzzle. Focusing too much on one type will distort one's understanding of the whole picture, IMO. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

However, using wood and I would guess nylon does create some issues with people taking unrealistic approaches to fencing and it becomes more like stick fighting. Where as with a steel blunt you are forced to fence more traditionally.

The Bear.