nukite

Discussion in 'Karate' started by shotokanwarrior, Mar 22, 2004.

1. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Does a nukite 2 the solar plexus really work? surely u can just tense up.

2. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Nukite isn't aimed to the solar plexus, it is aimed in between ribs or other soft targets.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

:eek: I thought the Solar Plexus was between the navel and sternum in the abdomen i.e. a soft target.

However, nukite to a developed abdomen would result in damage to the attacker's fingers, so it is generally used against throat and eyes. In practice it is wise not to aim attacks to the eyes for very obvious safety reasons, and even in self-defence situations it is not acceptable unless there is a very serious threat. (The throat and eyes are no-no's in Competition anyway).

Cheers.

4. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Solar plexus is above your ab's down the middle of your chest. Feel between your pec's, no muscle there, that's why you punch there. Nukite can be used for eyes and throat. Like I said soft targets.

5. There is also a big plate of bone and cartlidge holding your ribs together!

The Solar Plexus (by my understanding) is the just below the point at which your ribs meet the chest plate as '2' below.

[​IMG]

It's very difficult to tense around and over the solar plexus unless you have quite highly developed abs and even then the solar plexus can still be effected by a good strong blow.

A correctly targeted blow (pretty much anything) can even cause temporary paralysis to the lower body and of course a serious 'winding' more often than not.

If you use a smaller striking point (i.e. Nukite, ippon-ken, nakadaka-ken etc.) can cause enough trauma to irreprebly damage the opponents organs and possibly cause death.

Of course ... only my opinion :cool:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2004
  6. Ash

Ash Valued Member

Good post Jamie.

There is a book I have called Deadly Karate Blows - And Their Medical Implications which makes interesting ready.

It goes through some of the main striking points and gives information on what could occur to the body at various strength levels of strike. I'd need to check but one of these was around the solar plexus area and stated that it was possible to cause the diaphram to go into spasm thus effecting breathing and eventually death...

Now where did I put it.... :D

Dave

7. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I don't believe that Nukite is intended to strike the solar plexus with the fingertips. I've never met anyone yet who had strong enough fingers to do it. I know a very serious practitioner of Goju Ryu who does a good amount of conditioning and strengthening AND works all day as a bricklayer. He doesn't believe he could do this.

If I wanted to hit the solar plexus with something 'sharp' I'd use a single knuckle fist (nakadaka-ken). I can do this and I don't have to do any extraordinary conditioning to achieve it. So what's Nukite for then?

Well, as someone said, you could strike the eyes or throat with it. But try thinking out of the box. What if the weapon isn't the fingertips, what if its the thumb, or the knife edge of the hand. For instance I might slide my fingers past the the neck and dig the thumb into the sternomastoid muscle. Or you might strike the neck with little finger side of the hand as you drive the fingers past.

Mike

8. Practically speaking, Mike has the ball on Nukite application me thinks ...

9. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

single finger

I have had a just over finger size blue mark from a single finger strike to my stomac. And damn it hurt like hell and if it had landed in solar plexus I would have gone down very fast.

So I belive but can't do my self. Have seen but can't copy.

Regards Kerling

10. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

In my limited experience I believe that using nukite is largely ineffective because most people don't have the conditioning to withstand the strike they are delivering. I find doing a palm heel strike in the place of nukite - especially somewhere like the solar plexus incredibly powerful and you much less likely to hurt yourself. We have a basic that we practice, tegata barai nukite as a nukite into the air. But when we do this basic with full contact pads on we replace it with a palm heel strike and you can blast your partner back a few feet with little risk to your own fingers, wrist, etc. Unless you are willing to condition your fingers like the old days and wind up with arthritic stumps in your senior years consider replacing the nukite, except to soft targets like eyes, with a different strike.

11. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

Sorry guy's but Nukite DOES work, wither its Nukite in Nihon or others.

Apart from the eyes, throat, nose, etc one of the weakest areas of the human body is the SP area. No matter how much muscle mass surrounds the SP area you can not build up muscle mass for the SP, thus it is a weak spot and a spot that can cause major problems. Hitting the SP with a Nukite can and will do damage. For those who say "no don't bother as you must do it like the old days" or "no we use a different strike as its better". Well...news for you guys. It does work and it bloody well hurts.

Remember this, always practice your basics as they are the bread and butter of your art, without them then there is nothing but empty air. We practice our basics as this is the life and soul of our art, forget this at your peril.

Osu.
    Regards. :woo:

12. Mike Flanagan

Hi Paul

So are you thinking of hitting the solar plexus with a sharp jab or a strong thrust? If its a thrust, what happens when you miss and hit the ribs or the body of the abs?

Mike

13. shotokanwarrior

my sensei always told us 2 aim it 2 the solar plexus.

14. paul paterson

Osu,
    Mike Flanagan... may be your mind is on something else here but if someone hit you in the SP area with a Nukite (spear hand) I would and should think you will feel it. There are are many who think it is a weak technique but in reality its like all things in life, you can have the best tools and all the tools in the world but it's no good if you do not know how to use them.

Osu.

15. Mike Flanagan

Hi Paul

No my mind wasn't away with the pixies or "on something else":) The point of my question is as follows:

For the sake of argument, I accept you saying that nukite to the solar plexus could be effective. Personally I woudn't use it. A single knuckle strike would hit with a similarly small surface area without the risk of injury to my fingers.

My real concern though is what if you miss the solar plexus? What if you hit the sternum or the (tensed) abs or the ribs? Similarly, what if you misjudge the distance?

If its a sharp jab then such a misplacement wouldn't be too bad, but if its a strong thrust surely it will do more harm to your own fingers than the other person.

Personally I suspect that the idea of nukite to the solar plexus was an invention of 1930's Japanese Karate, that came about because of misunderstanding of its original purpose in the Okinawan systems. Unless anyone can come up with some documentary evidence to the contrary, that is.

Mike

16. shotokanwarrior

Does it really matter if it's a missile-like thrust or a swiftly retracted jab? If it is a move that works you're still going to kiss the dust.

17. Mike Flanagan

I think it matters a great deal actually. Lets say you miss the solar plexus and hit the sternum. A short, sharp jab might make my fingers sore but that's all. Striking as hard as I can I think would involve significant risk of breaking my fingers. That seems like a big difference to me.

Mike

18. paul paterson

:woo:
    Osu.

Ok, I think we beg to differ on this one.

Having used this technique throughout my karate career and so far it has worked for me as well as many countless of other karateka then I can see its benefit. I do agree with you on your outlook of Nukite but as for hurting one's fingers, well only that person who used it in the first place can say, one would and should have conditioned his/her fingers in the first place thus minimising any ill-effect or injury. When one is in a life-threatening position and cares only to survive then all techniques will be used. As for your little history part on the use of Nukite and the 1930's, sorry to disagree with you on this one as well.

Osu.
    Regards.

19. Cain

Cain New Member

Paul, I can practice hard and learn to punch to the feet effectively, still would'nt it be better to punch the face? IMO some techniques are best used at specific times while not being the best for other situations.

|Cain|

20. paul paterson

:Alien:
    Osu,
    As I have said before, I beg to differ on the use of Nukite. Sounds like you have a problem punching!!!!

Osu.