Now posting from Idaho!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Grass hopper, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

hey everyone, it's good to be back. it's been a while since i posted as i've had something of a crazy few months. the final product of those months however, is that i live in idaho instead of connecticut now!

that brings me to my point, do any of you know of good places to train in idaho? seeing as i have background in karate i want to try something new, and preferably higher contact.

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

In the tater fields!

Seriously though, why Idaho? Good to have you back, I certainly noticed your absence. John R. Gambit lives in Washington, he might be able to help. I have no close about anything on the West Coast.

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Welcome back. That's a pretty big shift.

4. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Welcome back!

No idea of places to train there. I am resisting the urge to post B-52's lyrics about Idaho...

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Good to have you back Grasshopper

6. Grass hopper

thanks! it's good to know i was missed. i'll ask gambit if he knows anyone

7. Grass hopper

oh, and my reason for moving was school. my situation on the east coast changed in such a way that i had to support myself financially while going to school, and i found that effected my gpa. now i'm out here (my dad lives out here) i can focus on school. being that i plan on going to medical school i need a tip top gpa.

8. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Welcome to the wild wild west! Hope you find a great place to train! :)

9. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

Idaho is a pretty big state, where in Idaho are you living? If you're in Idaho Falls it won't do much good to tell you about some great place 7 hours away in CDA.

I know there are a couple of BJJ schools in Boise, I haven't visited them but that might be a place to start...if you're near Boise.

10. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Welcome Back! Good luck with finding somewhere to train, and with your GPA.

11. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Welcome to the Pacific northwest! Where in Idaho are you?

12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Welcome back! I was wondering why you hadn't posted lately.

13. Grass hopper

i'm in caldwell, about a half hour outside of boise. although come fall i'll be attending boise state university so i'll be around there a lot.

14. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Welcome back Grasshopper! Wondered where you went.

Do you end up doing your Kyokushin competition?

Cheers

Dan

15. Grass hopper

unfortunately no, i ended up getting work as a nurses aide (there was an opprotunity at a good nursing home near me i couldnt pass up) right about the time of the tournament. i couldnt get time off for 90 days so i wasnt able to go :(

16. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Your young plenty of time for that. Good luck finding new training!

Dan

17. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

What area of medicine most interests you? It might change what I'd recommend for a martial art.

If I was a young karate guy, I'd pick up either BJJ, FMA, or a solid RBSD system. Hannibal has a branch of his JKD/FMA association that will teach you destructions in Spokane Washington. Spokane is right on the border of Washington and Idaho. The guy running that school is very nice from the conversations and correspondences I've had with him. I highly recommend Blindside for counsel on who to train with as well. Blindside used to live and teach FMA in Idaho, and has had training centered around law enforcement agencies previously. He runs a Dog Brothers style group in Washington now. He doesn't realize it, but I've met him and witnessed his training firsthand and he is someone I would train with or whose advice on where to train I'd certainly investigate. (I'm enjoying imagining his reaction to this statement. :evil:)

Hope this was some help to you. Good luck in Idaho man.

18. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

Well with school you're probably not going to have a lot of time, so I'd think as short a commute to train as possible might be a good thing. Maybe take a look at the Judo club at BSU? https://orgsync.com/58706/chapter

Its not high contact the way kyokushin karate would be, but could be a great compliment to what you've learned so far.

19. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I based my recommendation on the practicality of the training to self-defense use as a doctor. Hospital staff often face violence while in their later training experiences and during their careers, and I don't think judo is at all appropriate for that environment. I agree with you about the time constraints though, and finding a school on or very close to campus. A weapons system with awareness for legal escalation of force was suggested for a reason, or a purer grappling system than most Judo schools. You can find BJJ camps on most unis these days and I'd go that route before judo as it will facilitate greater control without damage.

20. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

There was a guy who was a paramedic that trained at the place I did when I started Isshinryu Karate. He was always telling us stories about how he had to use stuff we learned while picking up/helping out drug addicts, drunks, and generally crazy people. He had to smack down more than a few and had some really interesting stories. The only one I remember was one about him having to pull a guy doped up and drunk out of some type of bath who wouldn't comply and he had to judo chop the crap out of him, lol.