Now is your chance

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Taoquan, May 8, 2007.

1. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

Hi inthespirit,
    You totally misunderstand my intentions. It is not through fear or misunderstanding that I reject primitive pseudoscience. It is recognition of how such things are used to exploit the gullible and the desperate. I could just as easily quote from experts who have argued against qi methodology and have done so many times. I think Hong Junsheng & Tim Cartmell were/are as much experts as the people you cite. Maybe even more, who knows? Why not? They says we're better off without qi and I believe them because I've never seen anyone prove qi or do anything remotely useful with it.

Here is my evidence - my proof that qi is a myth. I apologise for its length. I tried to make attachments, but the file sizes were too large to upload.

I think the world will discover that it was all archaic superstition at best and and exploitative hoax at worst. The truth will out and qi's days are numbered. Make your money while you can, charlatans.

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hi Joanna,

My post was not directed at you or anyone for that matter, just speaking my thoughts, so to speak. :)

I would strongly disagree that Tim Cartmel and Hong Junsheng are anywhere near the level of, well say someone like Sun Lu Tang, The man proved himself many times and his teachers were the best around. Besides, the Sun Lu Tang book I was referring to was translated by Tim Cartmel, I don’t think he would have done it if he really disagreed with it. Furthermore you can quote from any expert you like, but at the end of the day they are not the founders like the people I mentioned, in turn their words are not as relevant, or at least to me they aren’t. In any case I think this is not too relevant and my point has been missed.

What I am saying is that it is not important to prove whether qi exists or not, that is completely trivial and will bring nothing to your IMA. What is important in my opinion is to be able to understand what the greats talked about and to be able to follow their instruction. If one cannot understand, then one cannot follow, if one cannot follow one is on a different path. Its really that simple. In turn, if one abandons the Qi methodology, one closes him/her self from the teachings of the greats, is this not a foolish thing to do? The only reasons I can think of why one would behave in such a manner is if one was him/her self practicing incorrectly, thus not feeling that which is mentioned in the teachings.

I have no interest in charlatans or magicians or whomever that uses qi to make money or confuse people, etc etc. These people can do whatever they like as far as I am concerned. But the fact remains that the Qi framework is something that is used to explain and describe training process and methods that are inherent in IMA. Sure you can abandon it and use Yi Quan methodology, but that without proper instruction is just as arcane as Qi methodology. At the end of the day, the methods, explanations and frameworks we have left over in writings of the greats are relevant, they are not just mumbo jumbo, ignore them at your personal cost.

With regards to the stuff you talk about, sure, there definitely are loads of BS artists out there, but who gives a crap, let them pay for their own mistakes. One should not let their misrepresentation lead you away from great sources of knowledge.

A question for you, if you don’t mind: Do you renounce all the old masters (Sun Lu Tang, Yang Cheng Fu, etc etc) teachings and descriptions that use the Qi framework ?

3. jkzorya

Beware of Darkness

Note for TQ,

Remember I told you about the person who had been driven insane by the qi methodology. He travelled to China and studied religious Daoism. His life is now a constant torment of battling imaginary demons, paranoia and psychosomatic illnesses. Whether you think that demons exist in a literal or metaphorical sense is unimportant. The effective truth is the same - study demonology and you will ultimately be consumed by demons. Those who steer clear are left in peace.

This is a universal truth. The Christians know it, the Muslims know it, the Sikhs know it... It is why magic is prohibited by all the major faiths.

4. jkzorya

Hi inthespirit,
    Yes I absoultely renounce all teachings and descriptions that use the qi framework. On that issue they are all wrong, however good they were at martial arts.

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Fair enough, I guess we can agree to disagree on this issue. :)

6. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Just wanted to add a few thoughts. I think that the power demons real or imagined (maybe that’s the same thing), can wield over man is through fear. Banish fear, and you banish the demons and many other negatives.

Perhaps studying demonology would be a good test of resolve and will.

As a side note, I know someone who thinks he is or is battling demons, got in to it via Indian mythology and mediation methods. Has been diagnosed by western medicine as paranoid schizophrenic. The root of his problem is fear. He stayed with me for a week about a year ago, during this time I managed to help him temporarily using five elements theory via exercise and counseling. Hard work, but was and interesting experiment.

:yeleyes:
    :Angel:

Do you believe in demons Joanna? If so, do you believe they are separate entities or parts of our own mind/psyche?

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

ps.

I want to add, while i 'at it'

Bad form from the topic mods here and IMA. These thread that don't relate to MA. Why aren't they moved like my tea thread was huh ?

off topic, general, philosophy religion ??

Other areas in MAp get stuff moved all the time, to the relevent places. Why not here on tai chi. Tai chi is not a Chinese MA that has the monopoly on chi ki. I hope mostpeople here would like this to be an MA forum for tai chi as MA rather than a philosophy / religious one.

Do you not get that tai chi is an MA jk and taoquan - I would like to remind you both directly and personall if you want to argue or post about your ideas , existance non existence etc qi. animal or human do it on the non martial arts areas please. Phil and religion would be a start. trad healing may be if it is medical based.

Cheers

8. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Whilst I agree with you that this thread has now been taken off topic, I would just like to point out that it is not a moderators job to sift through a thread and relocate every single off topic post because the posters can not heed previous requests to remain on topic.

Thankyou to the majority that did contribute constructively.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

9. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Ok after some thought (and spring cleaning) the thread has been re-opened.

I understand that qi is an extremely broad topic and will incorporate a lot of different opinions and belief systems which will cause it to stray from time to time, however my only request is that discussion remain in context and abide by TOS.

Opinions do differ but you can debate those differences without attacking systems, beliefs or people.

Thanks and as always any questions, PM.! :)

10. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

regards the MA stuff i would't go so far as calling them a qi framework. I know it wasenny you just but that dastardly spirit fiend . inthespirit!

:ban:

Qi is a part componant of the framework (not the biggest or smallest, hey maybe somewhere inbetween) of a martial training system from the eras they came. These are not 'qi framworks' for training martial arts. The framework within a framework is more meditation practices - see "internal alchemy". This "inernal alchemy" framework sits inside as a component of a larger MA training framework/ syllabus.

I would agree that this is an esoteric part, if you want to call it that. but then zhan zhuan for example doesn't have to be!

Mmaybe philosophical/metaphysical / religious too I would accept can be parts of these arts. Not compulsory certainly. But of course we all know that. Lucky for everyone no Nazis to enforce such things! :Angel:

However all religious practices in the religions you mention are No different to the ones in MA. They are not about attaining magic. To you or me perhaps if we are being sensible about this stuff.. But wait could things be twisted?

I would have no problem accepting for instance God will answer a Christians prayers is in fact no different than believing in magic. So how did these religions really ban belief in Magic would be my question ?
    Because this a claim made by them certainly I do believe.

Hmm..

If it isn't in fact magic then why cant Christians demonstrate their religious beliefs and ideas under Scientific scrutiny?

Hmm..

But hang on, maybe i am screwing this all up wrong and the majority of Christians think this is nonsense. But it's the Charlatan types that do magical healing on stage that we should focus on. Some might say that's not really GOD it's a sham.

Sound familiar jk? It should ..

To me meeting Jesus and having a relationship could be described as a thing of magic. Something that could only be real and true through yet unexplained supernatural to reality as we understand it. Lots of Christians claim this. Would you then consider that this is 'delusional ' , 'evil' . and brand believers as such on public forums.

If you disagree how do you think it is different ?

Cheers.

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Just a teeny clarification on what you wrote kind sir.

I refer to the moving of the thread not single posts. oops for you :)

12. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Noted. And under discussion.

And the correct term is Madam. Oops for you ;)

13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

lol sure thing, so how can i collect this oops. Would you need me to come to your office in person Madam?

Hey did you change your name from a Japaneesy one not so long ago, you the lady that moved my tea thread lady!?

Either way maybe you could slip it back in for me.. ooh I just read that back .

:D

14. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

JK,
    Nice find on the article! I did not get to pour over the whole thing, but I am interested in doing so.
    Though I did get through most of the first one and have to comment, that none of my teachers have ever required me to purchase anything, never even done public demonstrations and don't bend spoons or break bricks with their head. My teachers have actually commented that these are parlor tricks and can be done by anyone with slight of hand etc. They feel it is a waste of time, one of my teachers commented on it once "Bend a spoon? maybe helpful if someone attacked me with a spoon!"

This is what my teacher meant by charlatans and magicians out there when he said "when you speak to someone about Qi you know right away if they know what they are talking about, or have some kind of new age mystical idea about it." I feel that for the most part Qi is basically defined by science as energy within the body (electrical impulses etc.) and thought I had made that clear.

Where the idea of being "esoteric" comes from is when you add (like inthespirit mentioned) the power of the human mind. When your body is already a conglomerate of eletrical impulses (energy) then having the mind control that energy (as we have already discussed people can do) This becomes focused energy or electrical impulses. If one can control their pulse (JK, mentioned that she has been able to do the same) Who says that through training the mind, body and qi (energy/electrical impulses) that one cannot stimulate glands to release hormones that are specific to heal an organ?

The best example of a healing Qigong or movement is in the Bear five animal frolics where the practitioner stands in a deep horse stance and twists one the waist while combining specific inhalation/exhalation for twisiting left to right. Now the bear is not good for fighting demons, reading minds, being invisible, what the bear IS good for is strenthening the stance/root and legs (via the horse stance that progressively gets deeper), nourishing the kidneys, (through twising the spine, more specifically near the kidneys) and warming the body (by moving the kidneys you also stimulate the adrenal glands that activate hormone production). The Tiger is similar but works more on the upper body and liver and heart organs with a little kidney.

This is ridiculous to think that all Qigong is based off "esoteric" thought as most TRUE Qigong is based off very observant exercise therapy. The practice of relaxing the mind allows ones body to become more relaxed and receptive to the exercise you are doing. When you exercise do you immediately tense up every area of your body? Do you constantly worry about taxes/finances etc.? For me at least I can answer no, because this does not help the work out, I train whatever I supposed to be training at that moment.

Where the esoteric thought comes into is in SHENGONG training or spirit training, which you could equate to a monks training. Qigong for the most part should not include much of the esoteric spiritual stuff as this is a higher stage of training within Taoist thought. Most people practice Qigong techniques etc for years before attempting Shengong.

As per the other post about the man that went insane, I agree. I have also been warned about this, this is why Qigong/Shengong is VERY dangerous when it comes to the charlatans teaching it. My teachers often had numerous cautions/contraindications for Qigong and Shengong training for these reasons. For example for the Bear frolic above, if you twist to far or force the breath you can damage the lungs and kidneys because the sternum gets too tight and the muscles in the lower back can start to constrict the kidneys function. This generally is NOT taught by most charlatans. If at any time a "Master" cannot answer a question it is a lie and one should find someone else.

Lastly, I assume by the lack of comments on the article I posted that no one has had the time to read it (or wants to), which is fine, but I am interested to hear what people think. Is this a valid scientific study? What does/does not make it one? Any other thoughts?
    http://www.emofree.com/Research/meridianexistence.htm

Please let me know. I will try to comment more on JK's great (but long :D ) article once I get a shot.

EDIT: Geez in going over the first sentence on the article about the Qigong, about the guy getting kicked beaten etc. What trash! Those people are indeed charlatans and should be beaten themselves! That is rather disgusting and disturbing that they do and say those things, this is why Qigong and stuff is so misunderstood, thanks to overzealous believers and deceivers.

15. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I would say moving qigong is more geared to therapy. Which if it is therapy specific. it is probably medical qi gong first and foremost.

Not really knowing or understanding how the medical stuff works for therapy healing it isn't part of my practice.

But is that what you think necessarily qualifies it as TRUE qigong ?

cheers

edit. didn't a lot of medical qigong get devoloped a lot later than cultivation/ meditation of the taoist clans.

16. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

ps. yeah I looked at the meridian article and liked it a lot. very interesting. Not seen anything like that before, nice find.

I have previous maintained a healthy degree of scepticism about the spaghetti. But this is interesting.

17. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

CH,
    Thanks for the input, yes in my experience this is more on Qigong, as for standing/sitting still and moving Qi this is more meditation and Shengong training. Qigong mostly describes using physical movements to use the body to help move the Qi (ala Tai Chi for example), once this is developed to a sufficient degree, one begins the study of Shengong training which allows said practitioner to move Qi by sitting still.

Most Good Qigong's basic theory is not to develop supernatural powers, but to open up the individuals joints, utilize other muscles, massage organs (in the western sense) and open up meridians, free flow of qi (in eastern sense). Training to develop this "psychic powers" are generally done during one's Shengong training. Even then Shengong training is NOT meant to develop these powers, but rather the powers are a BY product of training. Much like if you train in a MA, some may not be training to become physically healthier, but rather that is a BY product and is not the focus.

Trying to determine which came first qigong and/or meditation is like which came first the chicken or the egg. They are both so intertwined that some argue when you are doing one, you are doing the other etc. Hua Tuo was the first to come up with Medical Qigong by most accounts (I posted this elsewhere but here it is again)
    Hua To
    (Hua Tuo; 110-207 A.D.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hua_Tuo

Qigong literally translates at Qi Skill, so yes I would term this as true Qigong, because you are developing your mind, body to a better state of health. This (imo and from what I have been taught) should be the focus of Qigong, not esoteric powers. The difference being Shengong is where one may develop esoteric powers as stated above, Qigong is (imo) more of a medical and health treatment.

Edit: Thanks for the input on the article. Do you think this was a good demonstration of proper research on this subject?

Skc Wado: Thanks for letting the thread go, as I mentioned in another thread, I was taught this way so I apologize b/c I thought this was the proper place to put this thread. I think it difficult for people to classify some ideas when we talk about Qi because it can fall under religious/esoteric/philosophy/MA well you get the idea :D Thanks though for being patient

18. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Errrrr.

Where does NeiGong fit in all of this?? :confused:

19. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Okay,
    Neigong (neijia) fits under Qigong, while Weigong (weijia) fits under Qigong also. The difference here being that even in traditional training methods you have Yin and Yang, Yin is more of your Neigong and Yang is more Weigong.

This is also done in the Shengong training where you start to train your Thinking mind (forgot the chinese term), then you will train your Yuan shen (original mind). Again here Thinking/analytical mind is Yang and Yuan, original/intuitive mind is Yin.

20. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

JK,
    Nice articles, my eyes hurt from reading them though :D

There is so much to comment on and would take quite a bit of time to do so. I do agree with some of it and find holes in other parts of it. The difficult part of TCM also lies with the practitioner, what I mean by this is the level of quality and ability of a practitioner. This is also apparent for western medicine. If you have a Western MD that just got out of grad school is he going to be as good as a Chief of Medicine? More than likely not. So for some of these studies if they only have practitioners that have essentially just graduated how will they know everything they might encounter in practice?

The other difficulty with being able to scientifically study medicine in general is the difficulty of having a "perfect" patient, as they don't exist. Everyone is entirely different and even though they may have similar symptoms etc. they may have entirely different diagnosis. I understand that Western medicine is based on science and I don't discredit western medicine for it's advancements.

However, I know of many nurse practitioners, Doctors etc. that will openly admit that even if patients present with text book signs of such and such it does not always mean they have 'X', or that even 'A' drug will work. The human body is an amazing machine that has tons of variabilities to it and I would assume (i have to assume since little study is done about it) that if we were to ask to provide perfect results with every patient treated with western medicine this would be hard to come by. Yes, it is based on scientific theory and/or knowledge, but the high variable of the human body will come into play making it difficult to determine a true outcome.

When I read articles like this (for or against Qi, TCM etc.) it is hard to do because even with the articles I have posted they are mostly done by people who WANT to prove that it does exist. Same with your articles, it seems these people set out right away to prove it does not exist. Even by their own claims how does this benefit a "double-blind study" atmosphere. If you want to prove something exists (or does not) you will generally only find the things that support you, so you are not wrong. This is inherent bias with any of these articles, I personally find it almost impossible when it comes to working with living subjects to have a true double-blind study because of the inherent need for people to prove themselves right.

Everyone can criticize studies etc. but very few (I honestly have yet to find any either for or against Qi) to approach it with true unbiased intentions. This is quite apparent on this thread as you have posted articles from true skeptics and I have posted articles from believers. Both have given credible b/g of doctors etc and cited credible sources, but it comes down to a he/she said type deal for all.

Though I must say I found this part of the article somewhat laughable:
    Insofar as TCM offers a degree of comfort and hope for those in difficult situations, it seems to perform a similar role to those of vitamin supplements, chiropractic, homeopathy, naturopathy, and therapeutic touch, our homegrown Western pseudomedicines.
    So vitamins have no scientific basis? Relieving pressure of nerves does not either? This struck me as odd even when you look at their source and explanation:
    11. Many scientifically trained physicians accept that chiropractic manipulations could be beneficial for certain purely musculoskeletal complaints. However, medical scientists remain dubious about the underlying rationale for chiropractic still espoused by most of its practitioners. These theoretical "explanations" continue to fly in the face of scientific knowledge in the fields of anatomy and physiology (Jarvis 1987). Chiropractors who still insist that all diseases stem from spinal misalignments ("subluxations"), and can therefore be cured by joint manipulation, remain open to charges of pseudoscience. The same is true of the many chiropractors who continue to reject the germ theory of disease, oppose basic immunization, and use scientifically discredited diagnostic devices.

They say they do accept some of the claims, but now it is known that nerves that become blocked can cause chronic disease. Even some viruses, bacteria attack nerves specifically if they are weakend or damaged. I agree that some claims of these medicines as a "cure all" are outrageous. I don't claim this with TCM or Qigong. If any of these things were cure alls why do people still die from disease? There is no absolute, but combining treatment modalities (TCM and Western) has the very distinct possibilty of helping many more people than just one modality.