not very happy......

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by pocketwarrior, Dec 29, 2003.

1. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

after reading a few books by geoff thompson which i thought were quite good, i bought a video called pavement arena volume 1. all the write ups i read on this video were very good.
    the video cost me £26.95 and was less than an hour long, 15 minutes of which was spent talking about how good geoff thompson is.
    Some of the instruction on the tape was quite helpful, but overall i found that for £26 it really wasn't worth the money. £12 would have been a more realistic price.

2. Serpico

Serpico New Member

If he got $26.95 (sorry, I don't know ho to make a pounds symbol) for less than an hour of footage, Geoff Thompson is obviously good at something ;) Seriously, though, I know what you mean, I always see these videos/dvds that I want to order, but I'm always afraid that they're gonna' bomb. So instead, I spend 15 minutes telling myself how good Geoff Thompson is.

3. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

I can't say anything rock solid becasue i've not actually read his books or met him.

ALtho i have heard his books are ver good........his instruction and quality/ efeectivness of what he shows on the mat I HAVE HEARD was not up to much.

BUt that could be wrong.

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I'm a fan of Geoff Thompsons books... I'm currently reading his " Fear: A friend to exceptional people" which is amazing... it gets right to the point and helps you understand the whole process of fear, and how it's linked to adrenal rushes...

But I've never seen or bought a video by him.

5. shipto

shipto Atkin's for life

may I suggest you visit his site www.geaoffthompson.com register on his forums and tell him from what i know of him (which admittedly is not much) he will not mind and will probably welcome your comments. I will say however that my instructor knows him and has trained under him and praises him up so much i thought he had a fixation at first lol.

6. uobirac

uobirac Valued Member

7. minimal

minimal New Member

UKP 15 or 20 would be reasonable for 2 hours, preferably more, if they were of high quality. Once you hace commmitted to needing to package analog tape and ship it, it doesn't make sense to send less than 2-5 hours. As opposed to making a download available, in which case you could sell half an hour for 5 bucks or less and come out okay.

This moron divides less than three hours of instruction into Four Tapes?!?! And tries to sell each one for fifty bucks ?!?!

I'm sorry, is he teaching a defense against robbers in any of these tapes? He should put the defense against Daylight Robbery in the first tape, and save you some time.

8. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

That's a bit harsh, I think (and the name-calling was uncalled for). I know that Geoff Thompson's books are very good and he has a great reputation among a lot of people. As for being a "moron", I don't think so... and I think he has accomplished a lot more in the martial arts community than you or I have (and most of the poeple here at this site).

I don't know about his videos as I have never seen them. It would be nice if the original poster would do a review, listing what is actually on the tapes. In general though, if you look at the vast majority of martial arts tapes out there (look at Century Martial Arts or Budo Martial Arts - 2 big distributors of tapes) and you will see that a very large amount of tapes run about 1 hour and range in price from $20-$70 each. That's why it is nice to get a review of various products out there.

9. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

On MAP we welcome diverse opinions and thoughts but name calling is prohibited. Please refrain immediately.

10. minimal

minimal New Member

I thought it was swearing that was prohibited, bit I will try to be less insulting in future.

That being said, could Pocketwarrior come back and tell us if the tapes were anywhere near worth it?

I would think they'd need to show you how to dodge bullets to be worth twice the price of a year - old blockbuster movie for half the footage. And blockbusters are not only directedand edited to an unforgiving standard, they can involve millions of dollars worth of set, equipment, and special effects not to mention tens, or hundreds, of hours for every hour that makes it to the big screen.

I guess I think there's lots of examples where a person, or company would make a lot more money by being less greedy and asking for less. And I was thinking this was one example of this.

11. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

4.3 Abuse / Flaming / Derogatory Comments:
    Abusive Comments, personal attacks, flaming, or derogatory insults or comments are strictly forbidden.
    4.3.1 It is fine to disagree with another member’s point of view, but please do so in a mature and civil manner.

For any further clarification check the Terms of Service at the bottom of every page or speak to a Global Mod or Administrator

12. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Dont by the fence then as there are no techniques in it at all and its all talking which is ok but I then realised I did all of it anyhow - doh!

13. Mr Fight

Mr Fight Valued Member

ive read this book too and thought it was excellent and did actually help me alot